Anyone in CA received their HOV lane stickers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2005, 07:51 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Anyone in CA received their HOV lane stickers?

So can anyone verify this... if you have the decals are you free to drive the FasTrak lanes?

How does the FasTrak lanes know you have the decals?

I'd love to believe, but tickets aren't cheap!

Old 09-26-2005, 06:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

HOV and Fastrak lanes are two different things. Fastrak lanes require you to have a Fastrak transponder in your vehicle. In some parts of the state there are (or will be) Fastrak lanes where you must pay to use them, much like toll roads back East (of Reno).

HOV lanes, often called commuter lanes, can be used if you have the required number of people in the vehicle, or you have a Clean Vehicle sticker issued by the state that allows you to use the lane with only the driver.

In the SF Bay area, in order to get the stickers, you must also get the Fastrak transponder. (Note that the transponder is coded for a Hybrid vehicle - and therefore different that the standard transponder). The reasoning (I believe) is that many of the HOV lanes also merge into the Fastrak Lanes on the bridges. To keep the traffic moving, commuters that meet the HOV lane requirements also get free bridge tolls during the commute hours, but must have a transponder so they can move through the tolls booths quickly - using the Fastrak lanes.

I applied for my transponder last week, expect to receive it either this or next week, then I can apply for the Clean Vehicle stickers. The whole process takes a few weeks, and about $48.

Cheers, Doug

Old 09-26-2005, 09:00 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Curve ball question...

OK...

I have my stickers and love the new access. I'm getting GREEDY in fact.

My question is that, although I use my stickers for freeway access here in Southern California, am I also exempt from other rules regarding diamond lane access for freeway entrance, etc? (Some freeway entrances are metered and give 'diamond lane' drivers the right to speed right through!)

Lansing

Old 09-26-2005, 09:45 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Curve ball question...

Yep, you can go in those too... and thank goodness because those are the biggest gas wasters!

Originally Posted by Lansing
OK...

I have my stickers and love the new access. I'm getting GREEDY in fact.

My question is that, although I use my stickers for freeway access here in Southern California, am I also exempt from other rules regarding diamond lane access for freeway entrance, etc? (Some freeway entrances are metered and give 'diamond lane' drivers the right to speed right through!)

Lansing

Old 09-26-2005, 10:35 PM
Enthusiast

I just got my stickers today, #21741. Since they are handing out 75,000 it looks like there are plenty left. I wonder when they would actually run out - it could be a year away, unless gas prices stay high and demand for hybrids goes through the roof and more people get the stickers.

I am looking forward to tommorrow morning when I have to be in the office by 8 AM for a meeting which could take up to 90 minutes to drive in if I couldn't use the HOV lane. I am predicting I will cut the time in half. I have gotten really impatient waiting for the stickers the past 3 weeks while I sit in traffic every day and watch the other cars zoom by in the HOV lane!

I bought my 05 HCH on September 3, but the following Monday was the Labor Day holiday so I opened the FastTrack account on 9/6 in person at the office in San Francisco, and sent the forms and payment to the DMV the next day (regular mail).

All in all it took exactly 3 weeks and 2 days to get the stickers from the day I bought my car which isn't too bad when you consider that the DMV is probably arded with requests for these stickers (over 20,000 in six weeks).

The whole reason I bought the car was so I can drive in the HOV lane, but I am happy about the gas mileage too obviously, since I drive about 500 miles per week commuting and the car will save me $200/month compared to driving my Pilot.

Old 09-29-2005, 05:36 PM
Enthusiast

got mine the other day also number in the 25000's, not sure how long 75000 will actually last once people who were waiting for an 06 get theirs.

Old 10-05-2005, 05:54 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

i applied for the stickers here in california and got them recently after a month of waiting. sometimes just gotta be patient mine also numbers in the 25k range, so there's plenty of stickers left.

clarification, infinkc, the only hybrids eligible for hov stickers in california are
2003-2005 hch
2000-2004 insight
2001-2005 prius
click here for the full list of eligible cars from the california air resources board

2006 hch does not qualify, nor does any of the other hybrid suvs or accord hybrid.

the bill wouldn't have passed if all hybrids were included, because of concerns that the carpool lanes would become too congested and no longer be much of a privilege or advantage. those concerns may be unfounded, since not all hybrid drivers use the carpool lane all the time, but hey, its bureaucracy.

Last edited by bluecivichybrid; 10-05-2005 at 05:55 PM. Reason: added link
Old 10-05-2005, 07:46 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bluecivichybrid
i applied for the stickers here in california and got them recently after a month of waiting. sometimes just gotta be patient mine also numbers in the 25k range, so there's plenty of stickers left.

clarification, infinkc, the only hybrids eligible for hov stickers in california are
2003-2005 hch
2000-2004 insight
2001-2005 prius
click here for the full list of eligible cars from the california air resources board

2006 hch does not qualify, nor does any of the other hybrid suvs or accord hybrid.

the bill wouldn't have passed if all hybrids were included, because of concerns that the carpool lanes would become too congested and no longer be much of a privilege or advantage. those concerns may be unfounded, since not all hybrid drivers use the carpool lane all the time, but hey, its bureaucracy.
Congrats on the sticker and welcome to the HOV lane buddy!!! I love it!

Now, can you clarify... My brother's impressed with the hybrid and was contemplating a 2006 HCH. Are these cars definitely OUT (not eligible)? Wonder why... If so, I feel lucky with my '05 HCH, but at the same time it would limit the # of '06 models that qualify...

Thanks!
Lansing

Old 10-05-2005, 08:05 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bluecivichybrid

the bill wouldn't have passed if all hybrids were included, because of concerns that the carpool lanes would become too congested and no longer be much of a privilege or advantage.
So basically the gov't is expecting quite a few 2006 HCHs on the highway? I feel badly for those buying who don't get a sticker but what a great reason not to have one if the prediction is on target.

Old 10-05-2005, 08:12 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by helterskelter683
So basically the gov't is expecting quite a few 2006 HCHs on the highway? I feel badly for those buying who don't get a sticker but what a great reason not to have one if the prediction is on target.
So if this is IN FACT the case, doesn't it mean that only the Prius is eligible as a 2006 model? Hummm..........

Quick Reply: Anyone in CA received their HOV lane stickers?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands