Anyone in CA received their HOV lane stickers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 08:29 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Anyone in CA received their HOV lane stickers?

i am slightly wrong, lansing

2006 civic hybrid currently is not listed on the California Air Resources Board list of eligible vehicles

However, the 06 hch does meets the requirements for clean air vehicle status:

"Under AB 2628, the hybrid electric vehicles that will be allowed access to HOV lanes would include those that meet California’s strictest advanced technology-partial zero emission vehicle (AT-PZEV) standards and achieve 45 miles per gallon or higher. In addition, an estimated 20,000 pre-2005 gas-electric hybrid vehicles that meet less stringent emissions criteria but also have a 45 miles per gallon or higher rating would be allowed into HOV lanes. Under the legislation, the hybrid vehicles that would be eligible today for HOV access would include the Honda Insight, Honda Civic Hybrid and Toyota Prius. As new hybrid vehicles are developed, they, too, will become eligible for HOV access if they meet the strictest AT-PZEV emissions and fuel efficiency standards."
~from CA State Assembly Member Fran Pavley's site
~as referenced on a hybridcars.com post

So, the 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid seems to qualify, it just isn't up on the eligible list yet. Maybe when it starts showing up on california streets and people start questioning the ARB and DMV about its eligibility, then it will be on the list and 06 hch owners can apply for stickers.

sorry about my misleading post.

Last edited by bluecivichybrid; 10-05-2005 at 08:38 PM. Reason: added link, cited source
Old 10-05-2005, 10:47 PM
Active Enthusiast

Ahh...I gotcha. It hasn't been officially blessed, so you're right. Poor guys who buy the car--just will have to cross their fingers hoping that it is included. We'll just have to wait and see.

Good stuff and thanks again...

Old 10-07-2005, 09:01 PM
Enthusiast

I just got carpool lane stickers for my '05 Prius in the mail today and stuck 'em on [img]images/smilies/emotikons/shade.gif[/img]
Those will sure come in handy Monday morning.

None of the 2006 models seem to be on the DMV list yet. I was also surprised to see
the 2005 Insight was explicitly listed as NOT qualifying, though earlier years do, so one
cannot just assume that your new car will qualify because last year's model did. I don't
think the Insight changed (at all), but the requirements may have gotten more strict.
It looks like you have to be AT-PZEV for 2005, but not for prior model years. I don't
know if there are any new restrictions for 2006.

Old 10-08-2005, 03:06 PM

Andy,

The 2006 HCH is AT-PZEV rated and has an EPA mileage rating of 50 city/50 highway. Thus it meets the ARB requirements as they stand currently. Based on this info, I merely suggest that the 2006 HCH could qualify for California carpool lane status sometime in the near future. No assumptions here; check my diction: seems, yet, maybe. I merely discuss the possibility.

Also, Lansing pointed that "we'll just have to wait and see." No assumptions there either, so I'm confused as to who you are referring to.

Nonetheless, you are right about the 2005 restrictions - ARB only let AT-PZEV hybrids qualify, eliminating the 2005 Insight which is only SULEV rated.

Old 10-08-2005, 03:44 PM
Enthusiast
Question Re: Anyone in CA received their HOV lane stickers?

Has anyone ACTUALLY put their stickers on magnets and 'stuck' them on their car? I'm curious if it really worked?

Please let me know ...

THanks, and happy hybriding!
DJ

Old 10-08-2005, 04:07 PM

The stickers are made so that if you tried to peel them off, they leave behind many permanent "VOID" marks on the sticker that are easily visible. That is their purpose.

I think sticking them to magnets would make them easier to steal, because the void mark wouldnt be a problem. Plus, magnets wouldn't exactly work for the HCH because all four mounting areas are on plastic body panels. I think this is the same for the Insight and Prius, which at least have plastic front and back bumpers.

Old 10-08-2005, 05:42 PM
Enthusiast

I haven't done the magnets, but I also haven't placed the side stickers on either. I have the smaller stickers on the front and back and will see what happens if I get pulled over. I will actually be traveling less on the freeway starting October 31st since my office is moving closer, so I don't see a reason to put the side stickers on.

Old 10-08-2005, 06:31 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HappyHiHy
Has anyone ACTUALLY put their stickers on magnets and 'stuck' them on their car? I'm curious if it really worked?

Please let me know ...

THanks, and happy hybriding!
DJ
Yes, I used my "magnet stickers" for the first time a few days ago. (See my previous post). I had to put the back sticker on the side panel above the rear lights (because of the plastic bumper), and I am not using a front bumper sticker. I highly doubt that I'll get pulled over for a minor change in placement, but I'm willing to take the chance.

I bought some heavy duty magnet tape at ACE hardware and placed it in strips covering the back of the sticker. Then I trimmed off the excess. It sticks extremely well. No chance of them coming off. I don't leave them on my car though. I just throw them in my glove box when not in use.

Last edited by Ryomatic; 10-08-2005 at 06:53 PM.
Old 10-08-2005, 08:58 PM

Sorry Ryan, I guess both HappyHiHy and me neglected to read this thread onto the second page where your previous post is located.

That's a good idea, however my stickers are already solidly on. Oh well

Old 10-10-2005, 07:50 PM
Enthusiast

Yes, I got my carpool stickers promptly and after some hesitation, stuck em on. Not as ugly as I feared and they do glow jewel-like colors at night in the passing headlights.

Since I live in the San Francisco bay area where one must first get a Fastrak transponder, I ordered one on the web and mailed in the web receipt with my sticker application. That worked fine but I still haven't got the transponder though they charged my credit card the requisite $40. I hope I don't have to go chasing after 'Fastrak'! Ah, modern life...who has time for it?

Quick Reply: Anyone in CA received their HOV lane stickers?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands