Anyone in CA received their HOV lane stickers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 01:04 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Anyone in CA received their HOV lane stickers?

So has anybody done the math and figured out how long we have until there are no more stickers? It looks like we are at around 43,000, and while I thought they were giving out 75000 I have seen some say that they will stop at 50000. I'm confused??

Old 01-12-2006, 01:13 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by romwarrior88
So has anybody done the math and figured out how long we have until there are no more stickers? It looks like we are at around 43,000, and while I thought they were giving out 75000 I have seen some say that they will stop at 50000. I'm confused??
When 50,000 stickers have been issued DMV will notify CARB (I think). They will then study the impact of sticker use on the HOV lanes and report back to DMV whether the program should be continued or changed. They have 90 days to report back to the DMV. In the mean time DMV will continue to issue stickers. If they take 90 days to report back, all 75,000 stickers will have been issued anyway.

Other than halting the issue of stickers they may decide to prohibit hybrid use of the HOV lanes on certain congested sections.

Old 01-12-2006, 01:28 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks ElanC. So the 50000 limit only triggers the study but does not stop the stickers from being issued? So would it be safe to assume we still have a couple months before the stickers run out? I haven't been able to determine about how many stickers are being issued each month...

Old 01-12-2006, 02:53 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Thanks ElanC. So the 50000 limit only triggers the study but does not stop the stickers from being issued? So would it be safe to assume we still have a couple months before the stickers run out? I haven't been able to determine about how many stickers are being issued each month...
Well, I think they are already conducting the study and monitoring conditions, they just can't force the DMV to change anything before they get to 50,000. They might have their findings ready to go, just waiting for the magic 50,000 number. The legistlation just says that they have 90 days to respond. But I agree with ElanC, I think it's more likely that they will put out a list of congested road segments where hybrids are not allowed rather than halting the stickers, but politics probably plays a role, so who knows?

Old 01-12-2006, 03:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NASAgineer
Well, I think they are already conducting the study and monitoring conditions, they just can't force the DMV to change anything before they get to 50,000. They might have their findings ready to go, just waiting for the magic 50,000 number. The legistlation just says that they have 90 days to respond. But I agree with ElanC, I think it's more likely that they will put out a list of congested road segments where hybrids are not allowed rather than halting the stickers, but politics probably plays a role, so who knows?
I would be very interested in seeing what the monitoring results disclose. I wonder if this is public information, and if so, whether the study results going into the HOV lane / hybrid legislation is available.

Intuitively I would agree that certain segments would see more impact than others. However, with new HOV lanes being constructed, conceivably we could see ongoing participation in the lanes.

Does anyone have access to initial HOV lane stats or info on the planned monitoring with the new hybrid access??

Thanks,
Lansing

Old 01-12-2006, 05:35 PM

It's all discussed in this thread, but since you ask. I figured out a few weeks ago that they're issuing about 5000 per month. They've passed 40,000 by now and there is probably a backlog of close to 5,000 (including mine). Yes, I think you're safe for a couple of months but not much longer.

Old 01-12-2006, 06:01 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default DMV & Caltrans sent me ' An Important Word'

I got a mailing from the DMV today with a friendly reminder that:

- Carpool lane use may be restricted at any time by state and federaal law for all Clean Air Vehicles carrying fewer occupants than posted minimum....
- The Clean Air Vehicle sticker program expires January 1, 2008...unless the law authorizing their use is extended.

I am enjoying my HOV access NOW!

Old 01-13-2006, 12:29 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: DMV & Caltrans sent me ' An Important Word'

Originally Posted by Lansing
I got a mailing from the DMV today with a friendly reminder that:

- Carpool lane use may be restricted at any time by state and federaal law for all Clean Air Vehicles carrying fewer occupants than posted minimum....
- The Clean Air Vehicle sticker program expires January 1, 2008...unless the law authorizing their use is extended.

I am enjoying my HOV access NOW!
i got mine about a week ago, what a waste of money to send that out.

Old 01-13-2006, 03:32 PM
Enthusiast

take heart people; my stickers arrived today (and the check was cashed Monday). Don't listen to the bad voices at the DMV; it's not taking 10-12 weeks!!

yah!

Old 01-13-2006, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by earthgrrl
take heart people; my stickers arrived today (and the check was cashed Monday). Don't listen to the bad voices at the DMV; it's not taking 10-12 weeks!!

yah!
Good for you!

When did you mail the application?

Quick Reply: Anyone in CA received their HOV lane stickers?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands