Step Bars

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 08:39 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Step Bars

I don't see a 2008 Escape in that eBay ad, and until they could show me an actual photo of a set installed on a 2008 I wouldn't order them...

Old 12-18-2007, 08:44 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mtberman
These look interesting for those who prefer a tube bar or step. Great find!!

It's worth noting that the Escape in the Ebay ad has had the finish plates removed and not replaced with anything. Based on how that area looked when I removed mine, I'm not sure I'd want it exposed like that. There are spot-welds and seams, as well as numerous holes and pre-tapped fittings where the finishers or steps attach. The photo appears to have been modified to not show those and to make the results look cleaner.

Not to mention the color: The FEH isn't available in red.

The Ford stuff came with all the pieces to seal that area from moisture and plug any holes. Hopefully these guys give you all that stuff too. Note the $50 shipping and $30 restocking fee if they're returned.
Nice find on the bottom cover plate missing, but not only is this not an FEH, I don't think it's an Escape, at least not an 08 in the pic. As far as I know all 08's including gas, have the same "dip" in the lower doors. This is missing that dip and has a straight "bump" from fender to fender.
like mine:

Old 12-18-2007, 09:15 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Johndixs
Terry, I should be getting the Mariner and the step bar kit later this week. How good were the kit instructions?

I looked all over the Ford accessory site but they do not seem to have wanted to post the kit instructions.

Thanks,
John Dixson
John, may I ask how long ago did you place your order for your MMH?
Just curious, as I am waiting for mine.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:58 AM
N/A

The instructions were straightforward and typical of that sort of thing. The dealer can probably provide a copy in advance of their arrival.

I did the work in about an hour. It helps if you're familiar with auto trim and how to deal with plastic clips and rubber plugs. A small, thin pry bar or plastic putty knife is handy for popping clips as you go. It's not difficult if you take your time and follow the instructions. I scratched the paint under there before I figured out I needed to decaffeinate and be careful. No big deal since it's hidden from view, but I'd hate to see rust someday because I went to fast.

Basically it goes like this: Remove the old panels by extracting bolts and popping a bunch of clips. On the area underneath, plug the holes where the clips were. The points where the steps connect are built in and pre-tapped. The steps line up with the body quite well and hook right up. They seal to the body with rubber to keep out dirt. Insert the bolts to hold them in place and tighten. Done.

There are one or two braces on each side with rubber "feet" that line up about 1/4 inch from the body. When weight is on the step, it supports the initial load and "gives" a tiny bit until the brace contacts the body. The rubber foot then presses against the metal and distributes the load there.

Old 12-18-2007, 05:03 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks once again, Terry, and I'll take your advice and pick up the kit tomorrow. Looks like the vehicle delivery will be just after Christmas after all.

On the question of how long my order took, the story is more than a bit complicated and unfortunately bears no generally applicable intelligence in the telling.

Thanks,
John Dixson