Introductions Electric Vehicle Forums welcomes you to the community. Please, tell us about yourself!

Step/Nerf Bars

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 05:38 PM
Enthusiast
Question Step/Nerf Bars

We ordered our Hybrid in early February and it's due in March, in theory. I have been looking at getting step bars for it as my wife would need them and she is the primary driver. I am finding out quickly they don't exist it seems. Am I looking in the wrong places or does the required mounting cross a ground or something?

Help

Mark

Old 02-25-2006, 09:37 PM
Default Re: Step/Nerf Bars

I can't answer your question, but I will say Welcome to GreenHybrid. I expect someone will have an answer for you soon though. This place is full over very knowledgable people

Old 02-25-2006, 09:53 PM
now Insight, had an HCH

Call Westin at:
Customer Service Department M-F 8am-7pm(EST): (800) 345-8476

I had a set of Westin steps on my K Blazer back in the day and they were nice. In their catalog it says they make them for the Escape but they do not specify if it will fit the FEH as well. Call them and hear it from the horse's mouth if the ones they have will fit or not.

Old 02-25-2006, 10:38 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Welcome to GH, and to the FEH!

You should also be able to get them as a dealer add-on, or through a third party.

Old 02-26-2006, 10:57 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the welcomes. Look like a very interesting place.

I looked up Westin on the web and will call them tomorow.

As for the dealer add or 3rd party. It is not even offered from Ford on the Hybrid, std Escape ok. The local Ford dealer parts section confirmed that. They are trying to look into why for me but with a rather large lack of interest it seems. So far no 3rd party will touch it. Since it appears that there is no mounting holes as in the std version speculation so far is that they used that area for high voltage lines or battery venting etc. Can't seem to get solid data. Considering ordering the maintanance manuals to trace it down more.

That's for all the help

Mark

Old 02-27-2006, 11:07 AM
Enthusiast

Kris at Westin contacted me and they are a no go on step bars. Fell like I'm running in circles. Nice try Rigger thanks for the tip.

Old 02-27-2006, 12:28 PM
YA RLY.

Is the exterior of the Escape Hybrid different from the non hybrid? I don't think it is. I Googled for "Ford Escape Nerf Bars" and this is the first Froogle hit.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/pe...006&partid=219

Old 02-27-2006, 02:27 PM
Enthusiast

Evidently it is different in some way, even Ford does not offer them for the Hybrid. One link I read even said the stock mountinh holes are not there on the fei. What I seem to find is they either offer them for the Escape and don't have an option to choose Hybrid or if they do have that in their vehicle options they than show none available.

Thanks for the link Sledge

Old 02-27-2006, 09:21 PM
Enthusiast

A company called ATS Designs shows a listing for running boards (color matched if you want to pay extra, otherwise black) for model year 2005 Escapes. Their on-line catalog only shows 2001-2002, but this company (http://www.autoanything.com/) shows the 2005 listing. Don'tknow if FEHs are different, or if 2005 models are different than 2006, but after looking, I think its mostly cosmetic changes to the front end, etc. They also show some listings for "nerf" type bars as well.

Old 02-28-2006, 04:45 AM
YA RLY.

My only suggestion is to take your truck to a local accessories shop, ask if they have running boards for an Escape in stock and see if they will fit.