Step Bars (or nerf bars)

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 08:42 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Step Bars (or nerf bars)

This post is just to confirm for anyone interested that the OEM Step Bars shown in the official Ford Escape Accessories handbook do seem to fit on an '06 Hybrid. As I recall the accessory catalog states they are "not available for hybrid" however the mount holes are there (covered with rubber plugs--the passenger side one has a bolt that you can remove and replace with the step bar bolt). I don't see any issues with them, they are pretty far from the electric lines and everything. Its also interesting that the instruction sheet that came with the bars says they are for the hybrid.... so Ford appears to be a bit "Bipolar"

I wanted them to help some elderly members of my family into the car.

As to whether you'd want them. They look pretty nice, do help in getting to the roof. However they stick out just enough so that if you get out and are used to putting your foot directly on the ground you will find the back of your thigh hits the outside edge of the bar... if you've been driving in some mud and are wearing your "church best" that might not be a good thing.

Old 10-08-2006, 09:28 PM
Default Re: Step Bars (or nerf bars)

Originally Posted by TeeSter

However they stick out just enough so that if you get out and are used to putting your foot directly on the ground you will find the back of your thigh hits the outside edge of the bar...
Either you've modded the hell out of your rig and added some 40" swampers.....or you are 2 feet tall!!!

(I think you meant to say 'the back of your CALF' )

Old 10-09-2006, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by Tim K
Either you've modded the hell out of your rig and added some 40" swampers.....or you are 2 feet tall!!!

(I think you meant to say 'the back of your CALF' )
Calf, thigh..... opps....

Old 10-09-2006, 07:56 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the info! I will get around to adding them soon because my 5 & 6 year olds are having a hard time climbing into the car.

Old 10-09-2006, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by *elaine*
Thanks for the info! I will get around to adding them soon because my 5 & 6 year olds are having a hard time climbing into the car.
Since you have a 2007, feel up underneath and make sure you can feel the rubber plugs that are in the 6 holes on each side where the bars mount. I know they are there on the 2006, I can't think of why they wouldn't be on the 2007 (I mean... why build two different body types for hybrid and non-hybrid). But you don't want to have to pay a restocking fee or something. I can easily be cajoled into taking some pictures (maybe even of the mounts if I can get under there.)

They go on really easy. It was easier than the mud flaps by far.

Old 10-11-2006, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by *elaine*
I added side step bars to my 05 FEH for that exact reason. My tiny 6 year old daughter has a MUCH easier time climbing into the back now.

I do have to be real careful exiting the vehicle with dress pants on however.

~John

Old 10-11-2006, 12:13 PM

How much were these? I'm wondering if I'm going to need them as my son gets older....

But for me, at 6'7", most SUV's are the perfect entry height!

Old 10-11-2006, 12:21 PM

How much were these? I'm wondering if I'm going to need them as my son gets older....
My kid is now 8, and has a lot of trouble climbing to the MMH. More than he had with the Jeep that was factory lifted (UpCountry Pkg).

However, he has no trouble climbing anything else.

Old 10-11-2006, 01:07 PM

But for me, at 6'7", most SUV's are the perfect entry height!
Unfortunately not cheap.... The ones from Ford retail for $388. Mine are black (/grey). They do make chrome ones for a bit more. The do install easily and you can probably do that yourself with little problem.

I did look around at other options but I just liked how the Ford ones looked. They look like they belong.... they fit nicely into the curve in front of the back tire flare, etc. I think the chrome ones are squared off on the ends instead.

You can look them over at http://www.fordaccessoriesstore.com. You'll have to lie to it and tell it you have a normal Escape but they seem to be the ones.

Old 10-11-2006, 03:45 PM
Active Enthusiast

You might check this place out if your dealer won't cut you any slack:

http://www.runningboardwarehouse.com...ROD&ProdID=188

I think they were cheaper a couple of months ago, but I didn't write the price down.

Quick Reply: Step Bars (or nerf bars)

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands