Step Bars

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 10:52 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Step Bars

Salesman at the local Lincoln-Mercury dealer is saying that installing the step bars is a bad idea, with warranty liabilities. I called Mercury this AM and the service rep said he was misinformed, and that there were no issues.

Has anyone installed these and if so, is the install easy?

Thanks,
John Dixson

Old 12-12-2007, 11:57 AM
N/A
Default Re: Step Bars

For 2008 they are side steps, not step bars. There were complaints on the previous generation that the step bars created wind noise, but they are a different thing now and there's no longer any issue with that.

I have them and I love them. I use them all the time to access the roof rack.

See the corporate accessories website at

http://www.mercuryaccessories.com

for your Mercury. For your Ford see

http://www.fordaccessoriesstore.com

Old 12-12-2007, 01:06 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks, Terry, and they are what you described, but the web site uses the "step bar" language. I'll proceed and order them.

Thanks,
John Dixson

Old 12-12-2007, 02:23 PM
N/A

If you bought your vehicle recently, you "should" be getting a coupon for 10% off accessories.

Although I had forgotten my coupon, the dealer gave me the 10% off anyway. IIRC they retail for about $400 so it was a nice discount. They are fairly easy to put on yourself if you're handy with trim and fittings and stuff like that. I think it took me about 90 minutes.

Old 12-12-2007, 03:06 PM
Active Enthusiast

Well, your note was certainly good news, Terry. Since the car will arrive within the next week, I think I'll see if I can't talk to the GM at the dealership about putting them on when it arrives. Otherwise, I'll go the route you mentioned.

Thanks,
John Dixson

Old 12-13-2007, 06:01 AM
Enthusiast

I've orderd a MMH as well and would like step bars. You mentioned you ordered your vehicle. When did you place your order and how long did it take to get a VIN number and/or an estimate time of arrival from your dealer? Also, what part of the US did you order from. I'm wondering if certain regions are getting their orders made sooner than others. Thanks.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:28 AM
Active Enthusiast

As to the step bars, I just talked to the GM at the dealership and they are no problem. The salesman had inaccurate info ( strike two for that gentleman ).

As to location, I am in South Florida, but the circumstances of my order and delivery wait is quite a long and circuitous saga, and therefore not representative of the present general situation. I do know that the KC factory went on OT and are working a six day week because of the increase in demand. I think the reality of fuel pricing has finally sunk in to the US consumer.

Not relative to this response, but I just read a posting on the Edmunds Ford Escape Hybrid site that a New York City Escape Hybrid cab is at 243,000 miles. 243K miles on those city streets is like a million miles here in Florida! The driver goes on about how the suspension and steering and overall condition of the car is superior to the larger Mercury's that they had been issued in the past.

Thanks,
John Dixson

Old 12-13-2007, 09:02 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Johndixs
As to the step bars, I just talked to the GM at the dealership and they are no problem. The salesman had inaccurate info ( strike two for that gentleman ).

As to location, I am in South Florida, but the circumstances of my order and delivery wait is quite a long and circuitous saga, and therefore not representative of the present general situation. I do know that the KC factory went on OT and are working a six day week because of the increase in demand. I think the reality of fuel pricing has finally sunk in to the US consumer.

Not relative to this response, but I just read a posting on the Edmunds Ford Escape Hybrid site that a New York City Escape Hybrid cab is at 243,000 miles. 243K miles on those city streets is like a million miles here in Florida! The driver goes on about how the suspension and steering and overall condition of the car is superior to the larger Mercury's that they had been issued in the past.

Thanks,
John Dixson
I'm hoping that the 6-day work week and OT means that I'll be getting my MMH sooner rather than later.
It sure would be nice if Santa left it under the tree for me.

Old 12-13-2007, 09:55 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Red face Re: Step Bars

Originally Posted by Johndixs
The driver goes on about how the suspension and steering and overall condition of the car is superior to the larger Mercury's that they had been issued in the past.
Yeah, I read that too. Interesting story about the brake failure and the fact that those FEHs (I think it is actually in SanFran) are being serviced by the regular taxi fleet mechanics - none of which have been trained on hybrids. The cabbie relates that even after several services in the taxi fleet shop, the "wrench" and "emissions" lights on the dash board are continually on.

He was saying that the ride and handling of the large (Crown Vic, etc.) cabs were usually shot by 200,000 miles and that the FEH was still pleasant to ride in even at 243,000.

Sorry, off topic for this thread.

Last edited by glennb; 12-13-2007 at 12:25 PM.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:51 AM
Active Enthusiast

If anyone is listening at Ford I have 2 suggestions for improvements to the 2008 side steps (I like them for the most part):

Slant the indentions slightly downward moving away from the vehicle so the water will not puddle on the steps.

Texturize or use some other material on the tops of the steps where you will not scratch them when in use (first time in service they must have had some gravel on their soles...)

I will probably use some of the tread tape on mine, but that will be alot of cutting and work to make it look like a "factory" fit.

Quick Reply: Step Bars

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands