Step Bars are on....Now I Know why Ford states they are not available for the Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 01:17 PM
Enthusiast
Default Step Bars are on....Now I Know why Ford states they are not available for the Hybrid

Just finished installing the step bars on my 2007 FEH. The answer as to why Ford does not show the step bars available for the Hybrid maybe as follows. The high voltage lines run along the passenger side of the FEH. The high voltage lines are in an orange conduit. The orange conduit is then enclosed in a solid black conduit as it is routed by the doors. The rear support bracket for the step bars shares a common bolt hole with the bracket that holds the black conduit to the frame. The forward facing bolt of the rear bracket goes into a hole that had a bolt for the conduit on its own. Now the bolt for the support bracket holds the bracket and the strap that holds the conduit to the frame. If you were to get hit in the rear portion of the step bar it will drive the bolt and the high voltage conduit off the frame. This might result in the power line line being cut. My guess is that this is a liability issue with ford. The other support brackets are away from the high voltage and they are protected by a stuctural beam. If you are involved in an accident and get hit on the rear part of the step bar, it looks to be certain that the high voltage will be compromised.

Last edited by Bosh; 11-18-2006 at 01:19 PM.
Old 11-18-2006, 07:08 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Step Bars are on....Now I Know why Ford states they are not available for the Hybrid

But if you are hit that hard..... the inertial switch should cut off the high voltage power anyway near the battery.

Old 11-19-2006, 01:05 PM
Default Re: Step Bars are on....Now I Know why Ford states they are not available for the Hybrid

Does the inertial switch sense left/right movement as well as front/back?

BTW, it seems that Ford is putting the side steps on the NYC taxi cabs. Either they don't care, or they found a solution.

Old 11-19-2006, 02:31 PM

I don't think it would care. It wouldn't be safe if it just sensed one way or the other. The point is disconnecting the HV system in an accident. frankly with or without step bars its the side impact on the drivers side that is most likely to be a problem (second to a rear impact on the battery itself).

Old 11-19-2006, 04:16 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Step Bars are on....Now I Know why Ford states they are not available for the Hyb

I am pretty sure that the cut off switch will do the job, it just made me curious why they were not showing them available in the parts book. They went on real easy and look real great. I have the black ones. They weigh close to nothing.

Old 11-19-2006, 07:50 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: Step Bars are on....Now I Know why Ford states they are not available for the Hyb

Have you posted photos?

Old 11-19-2006, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Bosh
I am pretty sure that the cut off switch will do the job, it just made me curious why they were not showing them available in the parts book. They went on real easy and look real great. I have the black ones. They weigh close to nothing.
I don't doubt you might be right though. It could just be from an over abundance of safety on the case of lawyers and liability.

Old 11-19-2006, 09:34 PM

If he doesn't I can take some tomorrow. I also have them installed.... are you looking for photos of what they look like or photos of the mounting.

Old 11-21-2006, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by TeeSter
If he doesn't I can take some tomorrow. I also have them installed.... are you looking for photos of what they look like or photos of the mounting.
I don't know about anyone else, but I would like to see a photo or two of the rear passenger side bracket, where the step bar and the HV electrical conduit share a single common mounting hole.

Old 11-21-2006, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by WaltPA
I don't know about anyone else, but I would like to see a photo or two of the rear passenger side bracket, where the step bar and the HV electrical conduit share a single common mounting hole.
I'll see about getting one of that... its a bit more difficult since I don't have a lift at home

From my memory... it didn't seem like it was a shared bolt for the conduit but more of a shared bolt for a plastic cover that went OVER the conduit in that location.... but then again I put the step bars on a few months ago and my memory could be very spotty.

Quick Reply: Step Bars are on....Now I Know why Ford states they are not available for the Hybrid

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands