Anyone in CA received their HOV lane stickers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 11:42 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Anyone in CA received their HOV lane stickers?

I think the whole witness thing might be a scam. Last Christmas a woman rear ended my roommate at a red light. She said he cut her off and she could not stop in time. She said she even had a witness. Her insurance paid for the repairs to his vehicle, but she filed a private lawsuit against his insurance. She never showed in court the day of the trial.

So many people are trying very dilligently to fraud the insurance companies. That is why I am paying $450 every 6 months for full coverage insurance.

It's so sad how society has turned out. Good idea with the camera. I want one also.

I had my first attack to my hybrid today. Someone threw an egg at my windshield for no apparent reason. Hybrid backlash in California.

Originally Posted by shawnb
The punishment will be significantly more severe if there is an injury involved. On the other hand, saying I ran the person off the road, can easily be "understood" given that we nearly broadsided. But that only tells part of the story. What isn't told by any person but is clearly visible in the video, is that he ran himself off the road and clearly had space to slow momentum but instead chose to attempt to cut-me-off and found himself in a foul disposition. The entire scene takes place in less than 3 seconds from the time I merge until the time he is at a complete stop smashed into the object on the side of the road. At 40 MPH (23 flow of traffic) that translates to very little reaction time, especially if he's too busy paying attention to me rather than what is in front of him.

The insurance company is free to make their own judgement and may even show mercy since nothing came of it yet (the case likely hadn't been assessed yet) but, then, what about the "is there anything else you'd like to add to your story?" and "is this information complete and accurate to the best of your memory?". In both cases, ommitting pertinent information can and should be construed as fraud. Because the police will charge him with falsifying a police report, any justice of law will, well, there won't be a defense, the insurance might jump the bandwagon, too.

Whatever the outcome, whether I'm privy to it or not, I won't be wrongly held accountable because a faulty witness and a jerk instigator chose to single me out. I wonder what ever happened to responsibility for ones actions in this society, America just seems to be happy making the choices but not pay the piper when the song is complete, and that starts at the top, with the President.

I'm glad I record.

Thanks,
Shawn

Old 05-17-2006, 01:38 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Shawnb... I think your camera attracts trouble! In just a few days, you've reported that your camera witnessed both a fatal accident and a separate accident from a road rage driver. In 30 years of driving I've only witnessed one accident (a car plowing into the jersey wall and flipping).

I admit a camera would be handy, though! I can think of a few situations (NOT resulting in accidents) where I would have liked a video or still image of an overly aggressive driver!

Old 05-17-2006, 04:29 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chesleyn
<SNIP>That is why I am paying $450 every 6 months for full coverage insurance. <SNIP>
$450? I'd be happy to pay that in NY where I am at close to $800 per 6 months ($250 Comp & Collision plus full glass). It would be about $720 per 6 with 500 Collision. I have a perfect record and clean license but that is NY for you...

Old 05-17-2006, 08:33 AM
Active Enthusiast

"....We don't want to hear about single occupant Hybrid owner confronted, shot or beat up by SUV filled with carpoolers...."

I've yet to see a SUV filled with occupants - let alone a SUV filled with carpoolers.

Old 05-17-2006, 09:04 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cityscapex5
"
I've yet to see a SUV filled with occupants - let alone a SUV filled with carpoolers
I saw one yesterday and it was going at or below the speed limit.....oh, maybe not...could just be the medication.

Dan

Old 05-17-2006, 09:59 AM
Enthusiast

Got my carpool sticker yesterday, HE0583xx. However, my car is still in shop for power steering problem (I was informed that it has a defective control unit for power steering). I got my HCH at the end of March and applied for the stickers right away. The application was sent back for missing plate number. So glad that I finally got it!!

Old 05-17-2006, 10:26 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Anahymbrid
Shawnb... I think your camera attracts trouble! In just a few days
I used to think it was my driving. Perhaps I'm just excessively aware of my surroundings than most people so I notice more. When I ride with my wife I always point things out that she hadn't noticed and now, she makes it clear she just doesn't care and want to know what everyone else is doing on the road.

I've actually, when things of note happen, taken them to police officer friends of mine to review and more often than not, they would remark that there doesn't appear to be anything out of the ordinary with my driving (IE: racing, cutting off, weaving, tailgating, dragging, instigating, fail to blink, fail to let people merge, passing more frequently that usually, unsafe menuevers).

At the most, speeding was their main remark, which they also said tends to get other peoples juices flowing. People see you comming up on them faster than they, they'll get a vigilante attitude and get in your way to slow you down, or if they're fast already, they'll get the tendancy to not want you to pass, among other things. I've since slowed down to 65-70 and in 2 years very little happens.

The other fatal accidents I mentioned didn't happen in the last few days, rather over the last 5 years. Just that now I can write about it in a single paragraph.

My reasons for the camera were actually to protect me because of one incident that happened in early 2001 that I vowed would never happen again, a my-word-against-your-word type thing.

Thanks,
Shawn

Old 05-17-2006, 12:00 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shawnb
Hope y'all don't mind an off-topic post, didn't feel like starting a new thread since it was previously discussed in this one.
It's too bad that you hijacked a thread in which some people are interested - CA HOV lane stickers.

What's so hard about starting a new thread? If you want to continue discussing your exploits it's still not too late to start that new thread.

Old 05-17-2006, 12:36 PM
Active Enthusiast

looks like shawnb got your jucies flowing
doesnt take much

Old 05-18-2006, 04:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

So what happens when the stickers run out? Any govmint details yet? Does my car see an automatic bump in value (at least until the HOV access expires, assuming it does)....????

Lansing

Quick Reply: Anyone in CA received their HOV lane stickers?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands