Fuel Savers Do the Work?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 09:12 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Fuel Savers Do the Work?

Originally Posted by lbaker
Okay I filled up again last night, my mileage is still the same at 33mpg(or 33.125). I drove 418 and put in 12.619 gallons of gas in my tank. The on screen mpg was at 34.7 and the MTE was at low fuel, it was no longer telling me how many miles I had left but I think I had around 46, because my MTE when I filled up last time was 464. Last night when I filled up my MTE went up to 486. So I'm a little confused, because according to the pump I'm still getting 33mpg and according to all the gauges in the car I appear to be getting something else, Gary any thoughts?
The gauges are always optimistic in terms of MPG calculations.

Also, to see MTE, just press the SET button whenever the "Low Fuel" warning appears (which happens at 50, 25, 10, 0MTE as well as whenever you start the vehicle and it's under 50MTE).

Old 10-06-2006, 11:11 AM

Hi lbaker

Because the Nav computer average MPG does not carry all the data of a tank, it's a question you must determine. If you think your last day drive was much better than your average day drive, the Nav average may be reading a little high. The fact that your MTE is getting higher at fill-up, means your overall mileage is getting better IMO.

If you give me the mileage data when your fuel level drops from the full mark and again at 3/4, I can get a better idea of you tank fill at the pump.

How long have you drove your Prius? What I'm getting at is your driving techniques and habits. The mileage your getting is much better than most with the AWD. You also have not broke-in your vehicle yet, and your mileage will keep increasing for that reason. I've got almost 30,000 miles on my FEH and my MPG is still improving. Most of it is technique and habits getting better, but EV speeds and faster acceleration in EV are also.

It's still to early to say it's the fuel saver, but I did some research on ford patents to improve FE. Ford is designing their fuel injectors, elec. throttle body, PCM programing and many other ways to get the most FE and best emissions from their ICE. They are constantly adding patents to improve these things and I'm checking the list on a daily bases now. Also, there is Range Rover, Mazda, Jag and Volvo to add to the list of Ford engineer working to out do Toyota and Honda. A simple new program in software could be the fuel saving device they added that was not done at the factory or part manufacturing plant.

BTW, other new owners are reporting better than expected MPG in the AWD.

GaryG

Old 10-06-2006, 02:15 PM
Enthusiast

Gary,

I will try to remember to track my mileage after goes just below full & at the 3/4 mark, I really would like to know what is going on. Actually for the past week or so my mileage on the Nav screen has been at 34.4-- 35.2, The first week I filled up on this tank I was at 33.4 or so , but as the week progressed it got better and better.

Thanks for your advise

Thank you Randy for the info on the set button, it will help alot with my next fill up.

Old 10-08-2006, 01:19 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lbaker
I will try to remember to track my mileage after goes just below full & at the 3/4 mark, I really would like to know what is going on. Actually for the past week or so my mileage on the Nav screen has been at 34.4-- 35.2, The first week I filled up on this tank I was at 33.4 or so , but as the week progressed it got better and better.
After owning two of these for over a year and a half, I learned to completely ignore the gas gauge and just fill up based on the DTE gauge. The gas gauges in these are useless except when the tank is full or when it is empty.

The Average Econ gauge is a nice guide and is great for trying to figure out what helps improve mileage and what doesn't. Beyond that, the only real accurate way to tell how well you are doing long term is to keep track of how much gas goes into the tank and how many miles you drive. If you are pretty consistent with how "full" you make the tank then you can get a pretty accurate reading every time. Otherwise, an average over time is best.

JMO of course.