HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Tornado fuel savers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 06:36 PM
Joe Go Slow!
Default Tornado fuel savers?

Anyone tried these Tornado fuel saver (or similar) devices? They claim to improve FE by 1-2 mpg, but I'm skeptic of how effective this would actually be.

Old 01-01-2007, 07:46 PM
Hybrid Nutbar
Default Re: Tornado fuel savers?

Considering the cost, even if the product does what it says, it would take an awful lot of driving to save enough fuel with an increase of 1-2 mpg. But, if you're altruistic and just want to get the better mileage, it's a thought.

Old 01-01-2007, 07:52 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

If improving a couple of MPG was as easy as fitting a little piece of tin to the intake, all manufacturers would do it! These things are a total waste of money. Don't bother!

Old 01-01-2007, 09:35 PM
The Devil's in the detail

A complete waste of money. If increasing fuel economy was that simple, at the very least every hybrid would have their own version fitted.

These gadgets have been tested before...many times, and they don't work. The logic does but the physics doesn't.

Old 01-02-2007, 11:26 AM
Active Enthusiast

garbage, snake oil, scam, call it what you will. any blockage of the intake tract (outside of supercharger or turbo) will hurt performance / mileage if anything.

Old 01-02-2007, 12:39 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

I second what everyone else has said thus far.

These FE add-ons, gizmos, tricks and so on (tornado included) all amount the blatant scams. Even if the principles appear sound, up until now they have all failed to deliver results as reported by every qualified and autoritative technical review body.

Please avoid these.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 01-03-2007, 09:28 PM
Energy Independence

You are wise to be skeptical.
They don't work.
If they did, a better more integrated method would already be incorporated in our cars.
Or at the very least, at those world-record MPG championships - you'd see these installed.
I'd bet your money ($55 and free shipping) that they don't work.

Old 01-04-2007, 03:59 PM
Opec Nightmare
Exclamation Re: Tornado fuel savers?

Yes, we also tested the tornado and found no increase in FE.

Originally Posted by gumby
You are wise to be skeptical.
They don't work.
If they did, a better more integrated method would already be incorporated in our cars.
Or at the very least, at those world-record MPG championships - you'd see these installed.
I'd bet your money ($55 and free shipping) that they don't work.

Old 01-04-2007, 06:42 PM
Enthusiast

Just go w/ a K&N instead and save your money with filter replacements.

http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=33-2348

Originally Posted by JoeFuture
Anyone tried these Tornado fuel saver (or similar) devices? They claim to improve FE by 1-2 mpg, but I'm skeptic of how effective this would actually be.

Old 01-04-2007, 07:37 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by WRXSTi
Just go w/ a K&N instead and save your money with filter replacements.

http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=33-2348
I would advise against installing K&N filters particularly if the main goal is to improve Fuel economy on our hybrid vehicles.

Although with great promise and popular with the rice/tuner performance market, these filters are too porous and are known to allow large airborne particles to still pass through. This often causes concern with the increased potential for engine damage.

Also, there is the issue of the filter oil that may interfere with (or even clog) the downstream sensors. Not a pretty thought and certain to cause issues with any warranty fulfillments you may require.

Anyway, this issue has been beaten to death in this and other Hybrid specific forums. The verdict is that those who still tried it report no significant improments in FE thus making this mod a particularly bad choice. Instead, use the OEM filter replacements regularly and judiciously as Honda and Toyota (for Prius owners) intended.

Cheers;

MSantos

Quick Reply: Tornado fuel savers?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands