Highlander after market Mpg savers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 03:23 PM
Enthusiast
Default Highlander after market Mpg savers?

HI All,

I am new to hybrids, and they are saving us money over our previous cars. I just got my wife a Toyota Prius and myself a Highlander. I love the idea of saving energy and a cleaner environment. It is awesome to pull up to a traffic light and have the gas engine shut off. I heard there are after market products that allow you to put the vehicles in an electric mode only. Does anyone have any information on these? Or if you can point me it this direction. Thanks

Old 09-18-2005, 04:35 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Highlander after market Mpg savers?

The Prius is capable of this function, but I haven't heard if the Highlander is or not.

In the Prius' case it's a matter of installing a switch (just a momentary push button) and a wire to the high voltage electronic control unit plug, and another wire to car chassis. Google for a PDF explaining how to install it "Prius EV Mod" or something along those lines.

Old 09-21-2005, 05:58 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks. I have now learned that Toyota itself has an optional EV switch, but it is not available in the US. I guess I will try to do it myself. Has anyone had experience doing this?

Old 09-21-2005, 10:23 PM
Active Enthusiast

I installed coastaltech.com's ev "switch" successfully, as have many other Prius owners. I don't know if it works on the HiHy. Instead of an actual button, you install this switch inline to a wire harness behind the glovebox, and when you pull the cruise control lever for 2+ seconds, the Prius beeps. You're then in EV mode until you exceed 33mph, accelerate hard, the battery goes too low, or you pull the cc lever again to deactivate EV mode. If the battery pack is too hot, it won't allow you to trigger this.

However, I've had mixed results with it. Drive too long with it turned on and then the engine kicks on because it has to charge up your batteries. That kills the mileage you just saved.

Where I have success with it is when I pull off the freeway en route to work. It's about a half-mile to 3/4 mile to my work's parking garage from the offramp, so I activate EV mode and cruise into work at ~30mph. It doesn't use too much battery, and if it does, the next time I turn on the car the engine has to kick on anyway.

On a side note, energysavingman, my fiancee and I did the same thing you and your wife did. Highlander 2wd Hybrid and Prius, except I'm the Prius driver 95% of the time. I hope you add your mpg info to the database!!

Rick

Old 09-22-2005, 03:44 AM

that's cool. Can you activate it at high speed, and it will sort of just be dormant until you drop below XXmph and can go into EV mode?

I do love HSD- so many things to play with! I'm jealous.

Old 09-22-2005, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by gonavy
that's cool. Can you activate it at high speed, and it will sort of just be dormant until you drop below XXmph and can go into EV mode?
Unfortunately, no... it's only able to go into the mode when certain conditions are met, such as speed, battery condition and cruise control. I think it was more of an afterthought rather than a fully planned feature, but neat to say the least.

Old 09-22-2005, 10:16 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Schwa
Unfortunately, no... it's only able to go into the mode when certain conditions are met, such as speed, battery condition and cruise control. I think it was more of an afterthought rather than a fully planned feature, but neat to say the least.
Agreed.

If it's activated and you just coast in Neutral down a hill and end up exceeding 33mph, it turns itself off. When I'm going to work, I activate it as I'm coming down the offramp when my car slows to about 30mph. And unless I'm driving around a big parking lot or parking garage, that's about the only time I use it. But like you said gonavy, it's neat some of the things you can do!

Rick