Fuel Savers Do the Work?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 10:38 AM
Default Re: Fuel Savers Do the Work?

Hi IBaker

That does sound like better than average MPG. It looks like you must have got a pump reading of 12.351? and used a calculator to determine your MPG. If you used a Scangauge or even the Nav MPG average, I would rely on that figure as being closer to correct.

The fuel tank fill one time is not a good way to measure MPG, even if you top it off till gas is near spilling over.

Please keep us up with a few tanks or more and consider a Scangauge.

Thanks

GaryG

Old 09-23-2006, 09:05 PM

I've been thinking though, I finally figured out how GaryG does so well in his FEH.....he has the vornado, a fuel atomizer AND a plug in for his car. He just won't admit it since then we could all do as good as him.... [/QUOTE]

Hi Ray

I get the mileage I get because of my conditions and the work I put into it. I sort of think of it now as my training as paramedic. That was an investment that will help myself and those around me for a long time.

This thread has caused both of us to do research, and I have some new post on
http://www.cleanmpg.com/ that has helped me better understand saving gas with the Ford patent I now know about. It is my goal that everyone knows how I get such great mileage so they have that choice also.

GaryG

Old 09-25-2006, 10:37 AM
Enthusiast

Gary,

Thank you for the advise, I will certainly keep everyone posted on my future fill ups. I understand that one fill up does not an accurate mileage indication make. I was just so excited that I even got 30mpg I just had to let everyone know. I will keep track of my mileage on my Nav screen, you're probably right the scangauge would be more accurate-- Only time will tell, but I can't wait to fill up again and see how my mileage evens out.

Old 09-25-2006, 02:31 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I will keep track of my mileage on my Nav screen, you're probably right the scangauge would be more accurate-- Only time will tell, but I can't wait to fill up again and see how my mileage evens out.
The most accurate way of keeping track of your mileage is as simple as recording how many miles you drove and how much gas went into the tank. After 3 or 4 tanks, the error involved with variations in the tank "full" level go away. I'm sure the scangauge is accurate as hell for an individual tank but for long term, the best way is total miles divided by total gallons.

I track mine on a spreadsheet and once graphed, the plot shows trends, seasonal variations and other factors really well - right down to when I changed the tire pressure. I even track how much money I have saved compared to the mileage I used to get in my V6 Escape.....

Hope your numbers keep increasing......enjoy.

Old 09-25-2006, 04:27 PM

Hi Ray and Ibaker

Just to add to Ray's recommendations, there are some other things you can consider at fill-up and after:

1 What is your Mile To Empty just before fill-up. From running out of gas once, I took a reading at 0 MTE and the mileage I went till I ran out. Based on my average MPG, I calculated there is ~1.3 gallons left at 0 MTE. If you fill-up at any point before 0 MTE, you can figure how much gas is left based on your running average.

2 Reset your FEH or MMH average fuel econ on the dash or Nav Sys at fill-up, but record your old reading before the reset.

3 Record how many miles you traveled at the point the Fuel Gauge needle drops beyond the full mark and again a the 3/4 full mark. Again, check your running average and compare it to the distance you traveled. You will soon learn if you had a below average, average or above average fill. It is possible to put a little over 17 gallons in the FEH, but the average is 15 gallons. This means you can put less than 15 gallons at some fill-up's.

Based on you putting 12.35 gallons in your tank, I would add 1.3gal to that (beyond 0 MTE) to come up with a total of 13.65 gallons. This means on an average fill of 15 gallons, you should have been about 1.35 gallons before 0 MTE. In miles at 33mpg, you should have been about 43-45 MTE on average before you filled up.

Don't forget to record your Miles To Empty after fill up, and remember to take a camera when you get above 600 MTE. I would love to see people post a 700-800 MTE or better picture from the message center.

GaryG

Old 09-26-2006, 08:40 AM
Enthusiast

Gary,

Again thank you for the advise, actually I filled up my take when the MTE gauge was around 45-48 miles to empty. and the Nav screen average was 33.4, so I'm thinking that the fill up estimate was probably correct. Especially given what you just said. I have been keeping track of my average mileage on the Nav screen and right now I'm averaging 33.9 mpg, that is after driving about(and I'm guessing here, because I forgot the exact number of miles on my trip gage, but when I got out the car I think it said) 134 miles since my last fill up. And BTW I did reset the trip mileage and the average gage on the Nav, so at my next fill up we should have a better idea of what's going on with my mileage. Of course 3 or 4 more fill ups will give us a more accurate idea, but we'll take it one tank at a time for now, thanks again for all the excellent advise, I will certainly incorporate all of your tips into my routine fill ups

Old 09-30-2006, 02:10 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Okay... I read this entire thread... and no one explained how and why the "fuel saver" or "vornado" works.

It's called PLACEBO folks. Yes, just like a sugar tablet can cure headaches, a "fuel saver" device can give you 1-2 mpg more.

Why? Because you have it, you sub-concioulsly drive a little more gentle, because you want to prove to yourself and others that it was worth the money. ( and you were not an idiot for buying one in the first place )

Thousands of people in blind clinical trials said a sugar pill cured headaches simply because it was the expected result, and they thought it should ( they were told they were being given aspirin or someting similar ). Same thing at work with these "devices".

-John

Old 09-30-2006, 03:15 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gpsman1
It's called PLACEBO folks. Yes, just like a sugar tablet can cure headaches, a "fuel saver" device can give you 1-2 mpg more.

-John
We agree 100% John...............

~John

Old 09-30-2006, 04:08 AM
Hybrid Newbie

Popular Mechanics tested some of these devices:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto...s/1802932.html

According to the article, not only did the devices not work, but usually made things worse.

Old 10-06-2006, 08:10 AM
Enthusiast

Okay I filled up again last night, my mileage is still the same at 33mpg(or 33.125). I drove 418 and put in 12.619 gallons of gas in my tank. The on screen mpg was at 34.7 and the MTE was at low fuel, it was no longer telling me how many miles I had left but I think I had around 46, because my MTE when I filled up last time was 464. Last night when I filled up my MTE went up to 486. So I'm a little confused, because according to the pump I'm still getting 33mpg and according to all the gauges in the car I appear to be getting something else, Gary any thoughts?

Quick Reply: Fuel Savers Do the Work?

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands