Fuel Savers Do the Work?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 11:58 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Fuel Savers Do the Work?

Originally Posted by salsbr

At $2,000 per, they can't be losing money on the Nav.
That's for sure............

~John

Old 09-22-2006, 12:19 PM
Enthusiast

I think the loss includes the development cost which is normally included in the cost of any high tech product. I believe toyota were also losing money until recently when they finally sold enough of them to go in the black. And given Fords decision to back off on their hybrid plans it sounds like they will take a very long time to ever recover it. I think this is the issue with just about all of the hybrids. The high end options are always huge profit centers for the car companies. They all seem to be positioning the hybrids at the loaded end of the scale to try to make them look more profitable for their bean counters - the camry hybrid is similar in this regard.

Old 09-22-2006, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by timcob
Ford are selling every hybrid at a loss, they cost Ford more to build them than we paid for them. That is the reason for so many shortcuts in the interior of the escape with the structuring of the options packages and the crappy nav system etc.
Tim
Explain why the interior of the Mercury Mariner Hybrid is nearly identical to the Ford Escape Hybrid, if your theory has any basis in fact?

Just sayin'....

Old 09-22-2006, 03:25 PM

Hi Everyone

Talk about a fuel savers, check out a possible plug-in FEH at:

http://www.cleanmpg.com/

GaryG

Old 09-22-2006, 03:32 PM
Enthusiast

Ford to sell hybrid SUV at a loss

In effort to make impact in electric-gas market, No. 2 automaker will take losses on Escape SUV.

http://www.lithiumpower.com/HybridNe...3-6-03-CNN.htm

also (from 2004)

http://www.planetark.com/dailynewsst...4209/story.htm

'Toyota has sold more than 200,000 hybrid vehicles to date and says its hybrids are profitable. Honda says it barely makes a profit while Ford concedes the Escape will sell at a loss. '

Last edited by timcob; 09-22-2006 at 03:44 PM.
Old 09-22-2006, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by timcob
Ford to sell hybrid SUV at a loss

In effort to make impact in electric-gas market, No. 2 automaker will take losses on Escape SUV.

http://www.lithiumpower.com/HybridNe...3-6-03-CNN.htm

also (from 2004)

http://www.planetark.com/dailynewsst...4209/story.htm

'Toyota has sold more than 200,000 hybrid vehicles to date and says its hybrids are profitable. Honda says it barely makes a profit while Ford concedes the Escape will sell at a loss. '
Doesn't explain your theory on the fit and finish of the interior, however, which is more the point I was addressing. I've heard the "selling at a loss" spiel from everyone from the car salesman (who didn't know the EPA MPG of the vehicle, nevermind the window sticker staring him in the face) to major news media. Fact or fiction, who knows. Sounds more like a Ford marketing ploy, "Have pity, have mercy, you're taking us to the CLEANERS on this deal! Buy this FEH!" Car sales aren't the epitome of truthfulness, after all... so I don't ascribe any special moral characteristics to car manufacturers, either.

Old 09-22-2006, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by GeekGal
Car sales aren't the epitome of truthfulness, after all... so I don't ascribe any special moral characteristics to car manufacturers, either.
Funny, with that statement we are right back where we started with this thread - honesty of car salesmen and women.

I've been thinking though, I finally figured out how GaryG does so well in his FEH.....he has the vornado, a fuel atomizer AND a plug in for his car. He just won't admit it since then we could all do as good as him....

Old 09-23-2006, 09:42 AM
Enthusiast

Okay so I filled up my tank last night, it took 12.351 gallons of gas and it was full, I drove 408 miles so that equals to 33.033 miles per gallon. Keeping in mind that I have not tried any of the techniques listed on this site or any other--and that I've been driving it like a normal car--and that most of my daily commute is freeway driving, I think that mileage is pretty good. I don't know if it's from the "fuel saver" or not but I'm happy with it. And if this is any indication for the future, then my mileage can only get better.

Old 09-23-2006, 09:46 AM

I'd say 33 mpg is better than pretty good since you are still breaking your car in. Especially for highway driving. It will only get better. I have over 16,000 miles on my '05 and my mileage is still improving. Not sure if it is me or the car but like you said, whatever it is, it's a good thing.

Old 09-23-2006, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by nitramjr
Funny, with that statement we are right back where we started with this thread - honesty of car salesmen and women.
Aye, our study of the lifecycle of a thread is complete! Next week, flatworms!

Quick Reply: Fuel Savers Do the Work?

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands