What ONE thing really drives you nuts about the TCH

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 10:53 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: What ONE thing really drives you nuts about the TCH

Sorry, not ONE thing, but TWO:

1. The center console squeak--just started at about 400 miles.

2. The Homelink buttons are not illuminated--I have a hard time finding the right button to open/close the garage door at night (could I program all of them for the same function?).

Old 09-21-2006, 11:03 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by klynch
2. The Homelink buttons are not illuminated--I have a hard time finding the right button to open/close the garage door at night (could I program all of them for the same function?).
I'm sure you could and that's a very clever solution!

Old 09-21-2006, 11:08 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

The Homelink buttons do have little raised "nibbs"
like Braile and elevator buttons. It's easy to identify
them by the 1,2 or 3 "nibbs". If you're not wearing
gloves.
J

Old 09-21-2006, 11:44 AM
Enthusiast

Ya, Like The fool engineers would expect a blind person to drive, rothlmao

Old 09-21-2006, 11:46 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by klynch
Sorry, not ONE thing, but TWO:

1. The center console squeak--just started at about 400 miles.

Gets to be a problem at nite as i have the end one programed for my garage door, middle one for wifes garage door and end one for my electronic gate.

Old 09-21-2006, 12:51 PM
Active Enthusiast

Steven..
Did you pick up on the trick to depress the rubber button on the door handle when exiting. It Locks the doors!. I tried it today.. Didn't know this tidbit. I also found out that the RF receiver is about a 3 inch stirp area on the inside of the door handle which requires a touch to unlock, 1 door or all four doors.
I think the rubber button press is cool, since you don't have to fumble for the fob thing when locking the car. If you haven't tried this, give it a shot.
WillyBill

Old 09-22-2006, 09:57 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro
1h. Every car maker should create a place just to store the Owner's Manual. Mine got ruined in the glovebox by leaking HandiWipes.
As usual, Prius owner 'lack specific of TCH' knowledge There is a 'pocket' in the back of the lower glove box in the Prius that is specifically meant for the owner's, service and NAV manuals. If you don't know it is there, it IS hard to see unless the light is right. Maybe there is one in the TCH glovebox as well?

Old 09-22-2006, 10:07 AM
Active Enthusiast

Yeah, I've noticed the little "braille" nibs on the Homelink but I have a hard time determining which one is the "right" one to push. Maybe trace the little "home" icon on the center one with a glow in the dark pen? Do they make such a thing?

Old 09-22-2006, 10:11 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WillyBill
3 inch strip area on the inside of the door handle which requires a touch to unlock, 1 door or all four doors.
Assuming the Prius and Camry are the same in this respect (and I can't imagine why they wouldn't be) you DON'T have to press the inside of the handle on the front doors to unlock the car. It is a hard strip and just sticking your hand down the space will do it (maybe not in the winter if you have gloves on). While this doesn't make much difference if you are going to open THAT door, it does save .5 seconds and .5 inches of hand travel if you are unlocking the car but want to open the back door first The back release is kind of rubbery and DOES have to be pressed. I have no idea why it doesn't work the same as the doors.

Old 09-22-2006, 10:44 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WVGasGuy
Better at what? I can see added power as a benefit in the city for pulling away from trafic,
Why do people think they need to 'pull away' from traffic in the city?
  • Unless you are the lead dog, you aren't going to get to your desired speed any faster than the cars in front of you.
  • Most traffic (in my experience) will get from 0 to 35 in 8 to 10 seconds. I never had a problem with my 0-60 in 13 sec Odyssey and the Prius is 3 seconds faster. Your TCH can do it with one tire tied behind its trunk.
  • The next signal is going to be red when you get there anyway.
By way of illustration, just this week a guy was behind me on the way out of work. I guess he didn't like the fact that I didn't race to each red light but glided/coasted such that I caught up to the car in front of me as it was getting back up to speed. We NEVER stopped nor did we fail to get through a signal that we could have made if I had been driving the way he apparently would have prefered. He passed me after about 2 miles on a 2 lane 30 MPH road (double yellow line - legal in VT but not recommended and you CAN get a ticket if an officer decides it was unsafe). 3 miles later, he turned right at a light and I went straight. Passing and 'pulling away from traffic' got him NADA, except worse mileage for his vehicle than he would have if had he stayed behind me.

A fast 0-60 is good for nothing other than getting up to interstate speed, and thus to your destination, a couple of seconds faster. It is pretty much worthless even then. Unless you live in a VERY light traffic area, you are going to have to merge with all the vehicles already on the road. Pushing in front of someone forcing THEM to slow down to let you in is more than likely going to **** them off. Signal and merge behind them, everyone is happy. OK, maybe not in Boston. There you signal and merge behind THAT car but have to force your way in front of the next car who's driver is trying REALLY hard to make sure you don't get in front of them.

Quick Reply: What ONE thing really drives you nuts about the TCH

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands