REMOTE START -- Toyota vs. Other

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 04:51 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: REMOTE START -- Toyota vs. Other

Originally Posted by jmonti
My TCH has remote start (never use it). The remote start is part of the smart key fob. You push and hold the buttons in the right combination and it starts up.
I asked my dealer about remote start and he said it wasnt available on the hybrid!

Its fully loaded though other then that, I have a 2009 with the "smart key fob", do you think its possible I have remote start and dont know it?

Old 02-25-2008, 05:49 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I doubt it, but read the manual to be sure. The smart key simply means that the car is smart enough to detect it when you are in range.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:17 AM
Active Enthusiast

An update. Toyota brand remote start is indeed an option after purchase for the TCH. I had it done on mine and while it is not cheap ($600 parts & labor) it uses the standard key fob and requires a certain sequence of the lock button to start the car. The range is "ok" .... I like to use it to start my car from the office on cold nights. You can test the remote start range before buying by seeing if you can lock/unlock from your prospective remote start location since that is essentially the same function. From the third floor near a window a range of several hundred feet is easy.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:33 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ntguru
An update. Toyota brand remote start is indeed an option after purchase for the TCH. I had it done on mine and while it is not cheap ($600 parts & labor) it uses the standard key fob and requires a certain sequence of the lock button to start the car. The range is "ok" .... I like to use it to start my car from the office on cold nights. You can test the remote start range before buying by seeing if you can lock/unlock from your prospective remote start location since that is essentially the same function. From the third floor near a window a range of several hundred feet is easy.
AWESOME! Thats great to know, thanks! How about the windows or moon roof? I thought I remember reading somewhere if you hold the unlock button in for like 2.5 seconds, it rolls the windows up or down. Am I crazy or is this possible?
Thanks again! I think I will get that remote start installed before next winter sometime....as well as an XM antenna, since it didnt come with one.

Old 10-29-2008, 05:51 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by raven77
AWESOME! Thats great to know, thanks! How about the windows or moon roof? I thought I remember reading somewhere if you hold the unlock button in for like 2.5 seconds, it rolls the windows up or down. Am I crazy or is this possible?
Thanks again! I think I will get that remote start installed before next winter sometime....as well as an XM antenna, since it didnt come with one.
Yes I read that too. I tried to close moonroof, by pressing button, but did not worked. I whould haunt dealer for it, once I find it again.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

Wow, you're responding to a post from last February. haha

(my remote start works great, but I don't ever use it unless I'm walking out to the mailbox and it'll only take a few seconds)

Since we started this thread back up, anyone know if you can have the "safety" feature turned off that shuts the car back off when you unlock?