Remote Start for FEH

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 07:19 PM
Enthusiast
Default Remote Start for FEH

This will be the first winter in a long time that I have not had remote start. I have not found any companies offer a remote start for the FEH as of yet. When I ordered my hybrid I figured it would not be possible, but now I don't really see a major reason why one could not be installed.

Having installed a Remote Start in my wife's car it should just be a matter of finding the right wires. The only problem I see is if the engine comes up to temp and the computer shuts it down how to ensure the remote start does not try to crank the engine again.

Old 10-18-2005, 07:34 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Remote Start for FEH

I believe any good car audio place would be able to install an aftermarket one that works properly.

I don't know the logistics of hooking one up, but you can always get a factory module. Looking at the pic, the blue button is for remote start.
http://www.cheapfordparts.com/produc...oducts_id=1260

Old 10-22-2005, 09:02 PM
Enthusiast

Keith,

I called the place and they did not have a remote start. I did stop at a shop that installs remote starts and after they had a conversation with a tech support person via the phone they told me one was not available. He actually told me that someone was electrocuted trying to install one.

Old 10-23-2005, 07:25 PM

Wow, that's horrible. Wonder if he got hit with 12V or 144V?

When my wife and I bought our '04 Escape V6, we were able to get a Ford OEM remote start installed for something like $450. We passed, since it was so expensive. Guess adding remote start to a hybrid isn't a risk most shops are willing to take.

Old 05-24-2007, 01:37 PM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

I would think some kind of block heater would be better, though this is coming from someone in central Texas.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:38 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Not to really lose the focus, but why do you want the remote start anyway? And this thread certainly popped up from the dead.

Old 05-25-2007, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Mark E Smith
I would think some kind of block heater would be better, though this is coming from someone in central Texas.
I think a block heater would be better too.

A remote starter would do nothing but have the hybrid waste gas while just sitting there in the driveway. That seems, to me, to be pretty counter to the idea of owning a hybrid.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:16 AM
Active Enthusiast

has anyone installed a block heater themselves? Nat and I are moving to Utah next week and i think a heater would be in order for the winter.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Jerry&Natalie
has anyone installed a block heater themselves? Nat and I are moving to Utah next week and i think a heater would be in order for the winter.
I have done plenty of them in the past, but never done one on an Escape.

In general, they replace one of the "freeze plugs" in the engine block. As long as there is one that is easily accessible(there is more than one) it is not a real hard job.

~John

Old 05-25-2007, 07:25 AM

In addition, the FEH/MMH starts kicking out heat within about 60 seconds, so its not like there would be a long suffering on those cold mornings...

Quick Reply: Remote Start for FEH

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands