Remote Start for FEH

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 03:43 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Remote Start for FEH

Originally Posted by gpsman1
There actually is not a catalytic converter thermometer. Its temperature in inferred by the ambient temperature ( via air intake sensor ) and cylinder head temperature sensor. There is no actual water temperature sensor. This is also inferred from the cylinder head temperature.

I didn't realize this, the FEH doesn't even have a water temp sensor??

I have never actually checked, I just assumed it used these kinds of sensors like "ordinary" vehicles.

I do think a block heater is a good idea, like I said the engine will still run when the weather is real cold but at least it may get to EV slightly sooner.

I don't think it will make a very BIG difference however, because as I said before when the weather is like 2º out the gas engine will almost never shut down anyway no matter how well warmed up it is.....

~John

Old 12-18-2008, 06:02 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Scottie-d
This will be the first winter in a long time that I have not had remote start. I have not found any companies offer a remote start for the FEH as of yet. When I ordered my hybrid I figured it would not be possible, but now I don't really see a major reason why one could not be installed.
Originally Posted by bar10dah
I haven't been to such places, but way up north, I hear there are towns where people actually leave their cars running when they run into stores because it's just so freakin' cold up there in the winters. It would seem to be a benefit to be able to have a remote starter in such a climate. First of all, the car can be warmed up without leaving the comfort of your home. And second, when that driver does leave their car parked outside of the store, with it still running, then they can activate the "run mode" while they're exiting the car. That way, they're able to take the keys with them without having to shut down the car.
Yup, miss my AstroStart.

I'm not one to start it up and let it idle for 30 minutes before driving off, but there are times when the windshield is covered with thick ice or like mentioned, where you just want to quick run in and out and leave the engine running (or where you washed the vehicle and the doors are all frozen and you can't get in). I thought a factory remote start was mentioned, but except for this site, I've found no mention on Ford's site. I've had Astro Starts that started my vehicle when it was so far away I couldn't see it (opposite side of a mall) and was able to check the status of my doors (locked/unlocked) or engine running, etc by checking the status on the remote. These are features I miss. Also it's possible to have the vehicle automatically start every 4 hours and run for 10-20 minutes if the temps are below a preset, a nice feature if you're unable to plug in your vehicle and the outside temps are below -20.

Anyway, my question, does anyone have remote start installed? If so, is it factory? I'd like to be informed before I talk to my mechanic.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:10 PM
Enthusiast

Wow, that is a bunch of bull.

A remote starter never connects to the starter, it connects to the ingnition switch. Which on the my '05 FEH is almost the same as a regular ignition switch, just less current.

As far as getting electicuted, sound like an urban myth. There is no reason you have to get close to and HV wiring to install one of these starters. Unless your a moron and ignore all the warnings and orange wire loom.

I am planning to install A remote start. I think the hardest thing will be is to let the remote start modual know the engine is running. Can't use a tachless system, because I am almost positive the battery voltage is the same with the ign on or with the motor running. You almost for sure have to go with the tach driven system. There should be a signal, but not sure yet if it is the bus or a seperate wire. If it is a bus system, it may get really tricky. If you want it to stay running all of the time, just turn heater to defrost or even max a/c. Since it is cold out it will not run the a/c and then it will recurculate the air making it get warmer in the cabin even faster.

I just have to find a good brake down of the wirering, and this would be super easy!!!