Remote Start with Vehicle Security System

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 03:14 AM
Active Enthusiast
Question Remote Start with Vehicle Security System

It seems like remote start and vehicle security system are 2 different 'add-ons' on the Ford Accessories Brochure.

If the price is right, remote start seems really interesting not for its remote start function, but for the "progressive car find" and "real panic sound alarm".

But I am a bit confused by the "vehicle security system" what does it add to the existing PATS? It seems like the VSS adds the "2-step perimeter alarm" and "interior IR theft sensor."

I wonder how the 2-step perimeter alarm actually works and whether the interior IR sensor is useful at all.

Old 08-31-2006, 08:52 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Remote Start with Vehicle Security System

On my 07, there are two security devices listed. One is an ignition cutout switch - and is supposed to use an RFID in the key to know that the car is ok to be started - that device flashes the word theft on the dash. The other bit is the perimiter alarm which I think is simply a basic alarm that is probably rigged off the interior lights.

The whole system seems very basic. On my last car I installed an aftermarket Crimeguard 745i alarm that I got at Crutchfield - it came with all kinds of features such as breaking glass sound sensors, vibration sensors and interior and exterior radar and lots of accessories such as remote start and the ability to close up the windows from the remote. I would not pay more that about $50 for the stock Ford system.

Old 10-15-2006, 06:46 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Remote Start with Vehicle Security System

Can you get REMOTE START on the 2007 escape hybrid?
I am pretty sure our dealer said it can be done, but since it isn't factory installed, and they usually do it aftermarket, i jsut want to make sure it actually can be done.
Thanks.