Back up Camrea installation to the NAV unt (with pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 09:46 AM
Aki
Enthusiast
Default Re: Back up Camrea installation to the NAV unt (with pictures)

Hi everyone. This thread has been very educational. The problem I have is that the Eclipse backup camera is no longer available. However, there's several cameras on ebay that replaces one of the license plate lights but the video plug is an RCA connector.

My question is, since the RCA plug is actually TWO wires, how do I retrofit that into the back of the nav unit? I don't think there's a problem with the 12v m/f connections since they'll just be plugged into one of the reverse lights but the video won't work on the nav screen on my 98 Camry Hybrid unless I can plug it into the head unit.

All the instructions so far have only referenced the Eclipse which has only one video wire and the retrofit pin setup.

regards,
-aki

Old 03-26-2011, 10:25 AM
Enthusiast

The RCA plug's two wires are the Video connector and a ground connector. Connect the outside wire to Ground and the center conductor to VIDEO.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:29 AM
Aki
Enthusiast

so that would equate to pins 21 and 22 (with 21 being ground and 22 being video +) ?

regards,
-aki

Old 03-26-2011, 10:33 AM
Enthusiast

Yes.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:47 AM
Aki
Enthusiast

excellent! thank you very much. Makes me feel better that I have an alternative (and less expensive and available) solution!

cheers,
-aki

Old 04-01-2011, 11:21 AM
Enthusiast

Hello, I have a camry hybrid that came without a navigation unit. I bought an original one from an XLE (E7012). I am trying to install a BEC 106 camera but it's not having any effect. When I put the car in reverse, nothing happens. I am sure that I installed everything correctly. Can somebody tell me what's wrong? Thanks.

Old 04-01-2011, 04:13 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bokster
Hello, I have a camry hybrid that came without a navigation unit. I bought an original one from an XLE (E7012). I am trying to install a BEC 106 camera but it's not having any effect. When I put the car in reverse, nothing happens. I am sure that I installed everything correctly. Can somebody tell me what's wrong? Thanks.
Do you see the "Check out you surroundings...blah blah" when you put the car in reverse? If not, then the pins might not properly seated. This is the most tricky part of the installation which is why I opted for the Rostra which came pre-crimped with the pin connectors. On my first try, i didn't see any image from the camera too. The pins were not inserted far enough so I really push them really hard. This is why I loved the Rostra, the pins and the wires for the connectors were sturdy enough so you can actually pushe these pins w.o bending the wires.
If you see the "Check you surrounding ..." message then, there must be something wrong with the camera.

Old 04-10-2011, 06:24 PM
Enthusiast

I tried installing the back up camera on my hybrid following these instructions, but it didn't happen, so I just quit. I put everything back together, but then I noticed that my turn signals and the back up lights stopped working. But the emergency lights still work. I think it might be a bad fuse but I'm not sure. Does anyone know?

Old 04-23-2011, 10:20 AM
Aki
Enthusiast

I got the BE106! Bought a new one off of ebay. I read/re-read all the instructions to plug it into my 07 Camry nav unit. Looks pretty straight foward...great pics.

I only have one question. When fishing the wire through the license plate light hole, there's no problem with reinstalling the light? It looks like to me that the drivers side light was resinstalled so there must of been enough gasket "squish" to have the camera wire
go through and still have the light in there and a water tight seal?

-aki

Old 04-24-2011, 02:08 PM
Aki
Enthusiast

Belay my last. I was able to successfully install the Eclipse backup camera! I followed the instructions to the letter and it went very smoothly EXCEPT that I spent an hour trying to fish out one of the top bolts that holds the nav unit. After tearing the console apart, I finally gave up (after an hour) and just went to the local auto parts store and purchased another bolt. Word to the wise...be VERY careful when unscrewing the top and bottom nav bolts or they'll fall down into the neither regions of the console never to be seen again.

The install, overall, (minus the hour looking for the bolt and never finding it), took about two hours and that was taking my time. The hook up to the nav unit actually was the easiest part. The most time consuming part was finding the optimal place to put the camera (just left of the drivers side license plate light) and fishing all the wire (there's a LOT of excess) through the trunk. I just wound up the excess wiring and cable tied it in a bunch under the metal framing of the trunk lid then just snapped the trunk cover over it and viola! All nice and neat.

I *strongly* suggest you test the camera several times during your install. Don't reinstall the nav unit until the camera is mounted on the trunk lid and you're done back there. That way, if there's a connection problem, you don't have to go back and remove everything.

And finally, make sure you connect everything back up! I put everything back together and discovered that I forgot to plug in the power into the back of the storage box so I had to remove half of what I just put back in.

All and all, it wasn't that bad. On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being extremely time consuming and difficult (like installing a stereo from scratch), I'd rate this somewhere in the neighborhood of a "5".

-aki

Quick Reply: Back up Camrea installation to the NAV unt (with pictures)

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands