Back up Camrea installation to the NAV unt (with pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 07:50 AM
Led-footed HyBrid geek
Default Re: Back up Camrea installation to the NAV unt (with pictures)

Scenario...
I have the radio screen showing. I shift into reverse, the camera turns on. I shift into drive and the nav system switches to the info screen or the map screen...not back to the radio.
Question for those who have installed the backup camera...
Does your system perform in this manner also?

Old 07-09-2007, 08:55 AM
Enthusiast

Wow... Instructions were fantastic. I finished the entire install in 3 hours.

Thanks everyone

Old 07-17-2007, 01:16 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wilsons66604
Scenario...
I have the radio screen showing. I shift into reverse, the camera turns on. I shift into drive and the nav system switches to the info screen or the map screen...not back to the radio.
Question for those who have installed the backup camera...
Does your system perform in this manner also?

I did not realize it until you pointed it out, but my installation works the same way. I could not find any other screens that work that way: That is, on all other screens, if I shift into reverse, and view through the camera, the screen returns to where it was. Not with the audio screen.

Old 07-18-2007, 03:11 PM
Active Enthusiast

I checked mine today and it does the same thing. Never noticed before, as I rarely use the audio screen. I'm usually listening to a book on my IPOD (via the AUX input), so the audio screen provides little interest. I usually view the trip information screen unless I'm using the nav for directions...

Old 08-10-2007, 04:55 PM
Active Enthusiast

Sorry for reviving this thread... I started on the backup cam project on my wifes TCH. It's kind of hard taking the dash apart without her seeing (it's freaking her out)... As a preface, I have never done any auto related modifications... Now I got the AC Vent out (that was nerve racking!!) The side fins were easy, and I got the shifter console removed..

Getting the storage console required moving the shifter back, and pushing, tugging, pulling before it came out (after removing the two screws of course)..

Removing the top lugs of the nav with a 10mm nut was no problem.. The bottom two (where the storage console was) is impossible.. It does not budge..

Has anyone had this experience? Maybe I should start hitting the gym!! ;-)

Old 08-10-2007, 09:25 PM
Active Enthusiast

Actually to add to it, there's some blue/green residue over these lugs, which leads me to believe they have a form of locktite on them... :/

Old 08-10-2007, 09:40 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nyc2socal
Actually to add to it, there's some blue/green residue over these lugs, which leads me to believe they have a form of locktite on them... :/
I did not have any trouble removing the bolts on my built-in-Japan TCH. I used a socket-wrench head on the end of a convertible screwdriver tool.

My saga ended the third time I tried to get the pins inserted into the cable connector. I tried three different CD-ROM cables, no joy. I realized that I had reached the point where I wasn't having any fun, and carefully put everything back together.

I'll try to get a professional installer to put the camera in. Toyota won't sell one.

Old 08-11-2007, 07:06 AM
Led-footed HyBrid geek

My bolts were tight. I had to use a ratchet wrench with an extension to get the bolts broke loose.

Old 08-11-2007, 09:24 AM
Happy 07 TCH Owner

Boyd: I had the same problem with the connector pins, part# KR10112. I used a small allen wrench to pushed the pins in. Apparently they need to be pushed in very deep. Make sure the catch on the side of the pins are turned out. Sometimes when you remove the pins from the CD cable the catch gets pushed in.

Good luck.

Old 08-11-2007, 03:48 PM
Active Enthusiast

I found a realy cheap installation source....a major electronic chain store also does auto stereo installs. For $75, they will install the backup camera for my TCH. Plus it comes with a lifetime warranty for their work! I have to supply all parts, including camera. They will install it on 8/18/07. Hope all goes well! They are also installing my ScanGauge for $17. What A Deal!

Last edited by nyceshirtz; 08-11-2007 at 03:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Back up Camrea installation to the NAV unt (with pictures)

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands