Siren like noise while slow down with my new NAH

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 01:49 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Siren like noise while slow down with my new NAH

Originally Posted by nissanhybrid
This is not a fake thread. THIS is real. It does sound like police siren or an aircraft landing(remotely) when you step on the brake I had to admit, I was stupid when I test drove the car before, I thought there were really police cars down the road from the dealer, because the dealer is on a busy road. Not until we drove the car home, and when I started driving in my neighborhood, I realized the sound was from the car...... No police drives around a residential neighborhood with siren on, that will drive everybody crazy. .
Your post still sounds very fishy to me.
Originally Posted by rtking
I have driven a Toyota Prius, Honda Civic Hybrid, Toyota Highlander Hybrid and the Nissan Altima Hybrid. They all make the noise as it's the regenerative braking that's causing the noise. This is part of the experience of driving a hybrid. Personally, I like that sound as it lets me know that I'm recharging the batteries and not using very much of the friction braking.
I personally own an 06 Prius, have driven a Camry Hybrid for a few hours, my mom's 07 NAH many times along w/a 2010 Prius.

They all emit a high pitched electrical (motor) whine that's more easily heard when in EV mode and when braking w/it getting louder on heavier braking. They sound nothing like a police siren and are hardly audible w/the windows closed. The sound can have a bit of warble when accelerating but not when braking.

Last edited by cwerdna; 08-13-2009 at 01:52 AM.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:17 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Siren like noise while slow down with my new NAH

Fishy sounds right.

http://www.edmunds.com/nissan/altima...merreview.html

Unless the NAH is defective it sounds just like any other Hybrid with the Toyota system. I heard an Escape Hybrid today and even it sounded like a Toyota.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:44 AM
Enthusiast
Red face Had the same problem for a while...

FWIW - I think I had this same issue - sounded like a siren behind the car. Noticed it driving home one day after I'd had the car about 2 months. Was really freaking me out.

The sound would rise as I accelerated, fall as I slowed - clearly seemed engine related. Since it only happened when the car was moving, I couldn't move around listening to the sound while it was parked.

Called and made a service appointment for the next morning.

In the meantime, I had the wife drive while I sat in different seats. (Because of course, she couldn't hear it). As soon as I got in the back seat, I found the problem: I'd set some papers on the rear window deck (dash) that morning while loading the car. When I picked them up, I'd left one behind. It was vibrating on the vent that's there and made the whistling sound. Removed the paper, sound went away, and I never put things on the rear deck anymore.

Canceled the service appointment.