Rattling noise while braking / accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 11:26 AM
Enthusiast
Default Rattling noise while braking / accelerating

Hello folks,

My Prius is now 2 weeks old. The first tank got 46mpg, and the second one (that i am still working) is going on 50. I am VERY happy with the car except for one thing.

Every 3rd time I brake and at random accelerations, i get this metallic vibration / rattle noise from underneath the steering wheel. This happens even when I apply the brakes (every 3rd time) and the car is on Park. I took it in to the dealer who told me this is normal and is coming from the ABS. I have driven plenty of cars with ABS, but have never encountered this noise. I think the dealer service is full-of-****, as this noise just doesn't seem normal.

Any ideas?

Old 09-18-2006, 01:03 PM
World's First Hybrid
Default Re: Rattling noise while braking / accelerating

If it was the ABS you would also feel it on the brake pedal. In my HCH, whenever I apply the brakes and hit a small bump, the ABS kicks in and I feel a vibration from the brake pedal and steering wheel. Maybe you are experiencing the same situation..?

Old 09-18-2006, 02:04 PM
Enthusiast

I feel nothing on the brake pedal; just hear this annoying rattle. It even happens when the car is completely stationary in Park, and I hit the brake pedal (this happens every 3rd time).

Old 09-18-2006, 02:06 PM
Enthusiast

I have heard the rattle also. But it wasn't so significant that I thought there was a problem.
BTW, the emergency hand holders above my side windows rattle also. But its not terribly annoying.
Finally, I hear the infamous honking noise now when I turn the car on and the brake engages. There is another thread on this issue from several months ago. So now I know its not a big deal.

Old 09-20-2006, 03:42 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

gpar, if you're driving above 25mph and apply the brake, does it happen when you initially apply the brake as well, or only when you get near coming to a full stop?

The reason I ask is because the Prius' regen system means ABS has got nothing to do with it over about 10mph.

You never know, this rattle could just be something that's just a little off - my cousin bought a Mazda or something and the back-right seatbelt rattles just slightly against the rear windshield at high speeds. It annoys the crap out of him but it's just how it is. He could put a cloth back there to dampen the sound but it'd look pretty dumb on that nice new car.

Old 09-20-2006, 10:23 AM
Enthusiast

Soopah - the annoying rattle happens at low speeds (usually driving in traffic or near stop signs). It also sometimes happens when I accelerate. I plan to take the care into another dealership next week. I am certain it is not the ABS; I just think something in there is loose. +G

Old 09-22-2006, 10:07 PM
Enthusiast
Post Re: Rattling noise while braking / accelerating

Please let me know if you discover what the noise is, I just bought my Prius a little over a week ago and noticed the noise right away. It sounds like the exact same thing. It doesn't happen every time, I haven't noticed if it's every third time I brake, I'll have to pay more attention. it does happen with both braking and accelerating though. I'd like to know if something is wrong.

Old 09-24-2006, 05:28 PM
Enthusiast

Eileen - the Toyota service department called and said that the noise is normal. It happens because of something to do with energy regen while braking. He offered for me to come down to the dealership and drive a brand new Prius to compare the noise. I haven't taken him up on the offer yet, but am quite annoyed about the noise.

Let me know if you discover something... +G

Old 09-24-2006, 09:19 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Would it be possible to record this sound, say with an iPod? Could post a very small MP3 here... .

Old 09-25-2006, 10:06 PM
Enthusiast

Hmmm - I have a legacy iPod with no way of recording sounds. Maybe it is an excuse to buy a new one - lemme see what I can do - +G

Quick Reply: Rattling noise while braking / accelerating

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands