Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

New Tank = High Mpg at first then DOWN DOWN

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 08:07 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default New Tank = High Mpg at first then DOWN DOWN

Has anyone else noticed that the HCH gets really high MPG numbers right after a fillup, then goes DOWN from there? Or is it just the way I fillup?

I ask because I usually fillup at Sams' Club, the closest of which is about 6 miles from my home, and others I use are 10-12 miles from home. So immediately after filling up, I always get some good "high mileage conducive" city street driving at 35-45 MPH before getting home.

My MPG on the FCD when I get home is usually ALWAYS at least 65 MPG, sometimes has been as high as 73 MPG for that first 5-10 miles immediately following the fillup, then after that it starts to quickly drop. Within 30-40 miles I am usually back down in the mid-50s, which is where my tanks lately have been ending up.

Does anyone else see this in their HCH? Or is it just the mechanics of my fillup process that is causing this, meaning the way I get to drive it for high MPG right after filling up?

I know that in non-hybrid cars, car makers have always intentionally caused the first half of the tank to show "higher MPG" to let new buyers think they are getting such a great car (started I think in the 1960s) and I wonder if a little bit of that has been incorporated into the HCH by tradition?

Anyone have any similar experience or ideas? Just curious !!!

Old 05-09-2005, 09:09 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New Tank = High Mpg at first then DOWN DOWN

Hi Lars-ss:

___I can almost guarantee that you are receiving a bit of assist in the FE department over those first few miles because of the vapor in the Vapor recovery HW. This vapor addition is not calculated in the Honda algorithm for the FCD for some reason. I have seen this in the Insight many times right after a tall fuel up. I have arrived home with > 135 mpg more then once with all city driving and a steep 120’ climb in my departed Honda Insight as well if that helps

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 05-09-2005, 09:41 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New Tank = High Mpg at first then DOWN DOWN

I concur with Xcel. This happened recently with my Insight.

See: https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...-mpg.2141.html

I was really enjoying the outrageous MPG's for a little while, then after a few miles everything returned to normal...darn!

Regards,