Honda Motor Company/Acura Honda hybrids

NEW IMA Battery HCH2 2008 - No charge no assist no batt bars

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2021, 03:31 PM
Enthusiast
Default NEW IMA Battery HCH2 2008 - No charge no assist no batt bars

Hi All,
I have replaced the original packs with new ones from china with all modules on 15.8 volts. I have engine and IMA light on. Previous to this change I had intermittent IMA light on as the pack old cells are still over 14.5 volts and some in 15V range. I could have grid charged those now but wanted to avoid the hassle of buying a grid chargers here in Ireland not easy to get. Took a while to get batteries as well. I am getting no where with the new modules.

So tested the following
1. Fuses - all good 15 and 75 Amp, under the hood. May be need to reset BCM module memory somehow by reseating a fuse not sure if this can be done.
2. BCM connector voltages , all modules reporting 15.78 to 15.8 volts on the pins. Also 2 pins combined from top area and bottom area of the connector, reports full collective voltage of the pack at 173 volts.
3. Check 12 V battery its getting charged via the DC converter. Batt switch is on so haven't missed on that one.
4. Checked voltage at DC converter point for , 12.75 volts when the engine is off.
5. Checked voltage after starting the car. 12 v charges at 13.9 to 14.2 at times. Full 173 volts coming and - and + bolts of the hybrid battery compartment.
6. No Green charging bar , no assist , no white batt bars. Tried RPM the engine at 2500 to 3000 RPM and hold nothing , I thought some how the new modules would register and I will see the good old lights.
7. Tried driving the car and turning off ignition on and off.
8. Reset 12 Volts numerous times to reset any memories the components may have , charged 12Volts batt to full and tried again still no bars no movement.

Waiting on ODB2 code reader from Amazon to check any codes : ( Not sure what to do . Do I need to go to dealer and upgrade software like it is mentioned in some post over the internet. Dealers are rip off tbh, Thanks for your help and comments in advance.

Last edited by inzar; 03-30-2021 at 04:49 PM. Reason: spellings
Old 03-30-2021, 09:43 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: NEW IMA Battery HCH2 2008 - No charge no assist no batt bars

Blink the codes.

Let me know the IMA and CEL blink codes, and I'll look them up in the manual.

Old 03-31-2021, 06:34 AM
Enthusiast

Thank you for replying so fast.
with IMA battery switch on it blinks slow 5 times in 3 sets so not sure if its 55 of 555. CEL light doesn't blink.
ABS light blink with another symbol above it is blinking as well. Its a circle with exclamation mark and two half lines around the circle.
__________________________________________________ ____
With IMA switch off the blink code is as below
it blinks slow like 5 times and then 6 times and then fast blink 2 times. So I guess its 562 - Not sure if it relates to
P1562 Motor commutation sensor B – circuit high input Wiring, motor control module (MCM) programming, MCM, motor commutation sensor, drive plate sensor
Is sensor B one of the 3 sensors on the battery pack ?
The CEL light doesn't blink.
There are other blinks for ABS and the symbol above the ABS like a circle with exclamation mark, could be non related errors.
__________________________________________________ ______________

Regards
inzar

Last edited by inzar; 03-31-2021 at 11:18 AM. Reason: wrong code - IMA switch was off
Old 03-31-2021, 11:58 AM

Did you confirm that you actually needed an IMA battery, or did you just replace it based on the IMA light?

What code(s) did you have before replacement?

5 slow = 50
6 slow + 2 fast = 62

Code 50 is P0A9E Battery module temperature sensor 1 Circuit High Voltage
Code 62 is P0AE1 Bypass contactor malfunction.

Did you damage one of the 3 temperature sensors, or did you fail to plug one in?

Old 03-31-2021, 01:07 PM
Enthusiast

I didn't check any code before replacements , it was only occasional IMA light with CEL that would come up and a lot of recalibration of the pack so I decided to change the entire pack. Right now the code is coming slow 5s with 3 sec gap between the fives. It could be that one of the sensor wire is loose or got pinched. I will recheck those. What is the best way to check the sensors? Is there a way to which one is sensor 1 , 2 or 3.

Sensors on the top left is black/white , left bottom grey/black and then one on right side with black/yellow cable. I am pretty sure the actual sensors on the modules were not forced or anything. Thank you for your time sir.

Old 03-31-2021, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by inzar
I didn't check any code before replacements , it was only occasional IMA light with CEL that would come up and a lot of recalibration of the pack so I decided to change the entire pack. Right now the code is coming slow 5s with 3 sec gap between the fives. It could be that one of the sensor wire is loose or got pinched. I will recheck those. What is the best way to check the sensors? Is there a way to which one is sensor 1 , 2 or 3.

Sensors on the top left is black/white , left bottom grey/black and then one on right side with black/yellow cable. I am pretty sure the actual sensors on the modules were not forced or anything. Thank you for your time sir.
Don't know which is which. If you unplug them at the junction board and check resistance with an ohmmeter, they should all have very similar resistance values.

Old 03-31-2021, 01:19 PM
Enthusiast

perfect will check those with multimeter , you are right they all should have some resistance. Thank you will let you know.

Old 04-01-2021, 06:38 AM
Enthusiast

Thank you so much Steve! good News I took out the pack checked all 3 sensor resistances , they were all coming around 16 - 17 range. So they all were intact. It seemed to be a loose sensor cable fitting on the right side where there is only one sensor. The one with black and yellow cable was loose. Re -plugged all those back in , started the car all lights came back with charging and battery recalibrating. No other lights all looks good so will give it a good test drive.

I was thrilled to see those and what a relief because I was thinking about so many other possibilities. Many thanks to you and your time in checking these error codes out. I am so thankful. If you are ever in Ireland give me a shout.

Last edited by inzar; 04-01-2021 at 06:43 AM. Reason: spellings
Old 04-01-2021, 07:42 AM

Glad to hear it. Figured it had to do with the tear-down and build.

You can purchase factory manuals on BISHKO CD on ebay for US$50. Not sure what they cost in Ireland, but anybody doing DIY on these hybrids should have one.

My manuals have personally saved me lots of $, and with the information I've given from them on the forum, probably 10X that for forum members.

Old 04-01-2021, 07:58 AM
Enthusiast

You have certainly saved me a lot of $$ and grief. Cannot thank you enough! Thanks for sharing the site info for manuals.
I am grateful for your time.