HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Urgent--need to know what would happen swapping 2008 HCH2 IMA battery with a 2009

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2020, 03:02 AM
Enthusiast
Default Urgent--need to know what would happen swapping 2008 HCH2 IMA battery with a 2009

I keep running into a division between 2008 & 2009 HCH2 IMA batteries but can't seem to find out why-- voltage, current, wattage, connectors, software, occult uncompatibility, etc.? I don't necessarily want to find out the hard way-- like frying the '08 IMA system or ECU with the wrong IMA battery. Can anyone point me to why there is a division and, if so, would prevent swapping these two different model year batteries? Thank you so much in advance!

Last edited by Needhelpwithmehybrid; 02-15-2020 at 03:08 AM.
Old 02-15-2020, 05:42 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Urgent--need to know what would happen swapping 2008 HCH2 IMA battery with a 2009

Profile says you have a 2010. Did you replace the 2010 with a 2008 since your last post in June?

Nothing prevents you from swapping them. Just note that the 09-11 battery failure rate was 30% in 3-4 years. The 06-08 failure rate was 16% in 5-7 years.

They made internal changes to the pack that worsened the already horrific cooling problem. The 09-11 HCH pack is the worst hybrid battery pack ever made.

I wouldn't consider doing this unless the '09 battery is 100% known to be good and cost me nothing.

Old 03-14-2020, 12:36 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Urgent--need to know what would happen swapping 2008 HCH2 IMA battery with a 2009

Originally Posted by S Keith
Profile says you have a 2010. Did you replace the 2010 with a 2008 since your last post in June?

Nothing prevents you from swapping them. Just note that the 09-11 battery failure rate was 30% in 3-4 years. The 06-08 failure rate was 16% in 5-7 years.

They made internal changes to the pack that worsened the already horrific cooling problem. The 09-11 HCH pack is the worst hybrid battery pack ever made.

I wouldn't consider doing this unless the '09 battery is 100% known to be good and cost me nothing.
Sorry for the long delay but I was successful in overcoming the P0A7F issue. It's a really long story but I have access to different hybrids and wanted to get another one on the road that had been abandoned with the dreaded P0A7F due to previous owner abuse/neglect. Turns out thanks to another forum member (thank you so much if you're reading this), that a simple bi-directional OBDII scan tool w/ code reset capability was sufficient to disable the CEL/IMA codes long enough to pass an inspection and obtain state registration. I was prepared for a battery swap but after noticing even a completely abused battery (been sitting for YEARS) was able to be restored through simple driving enough to clear enough 6 I/Ms sufficient to pass inspection, I realized a battery swap may not be needed. The key is really slow, 'grandma-style' driving with slow acceleration to start breaking in the worn battery. Parked outside inspection center and revved in L gear to fully regenerate battery before pulling into bay. Worked like a charm and hilariously the IMA/CEL came on about .5 miles after leaving the inspection place with normal driving.

Old 03-19-2020, 06:45 PM
Bin
Enthusiast

can you please mention the scantool you used, i am desperately in need of such tool.

Originally Posted by Needhelpwithmehybrid
Sorry for the long delay but I was successful in overcoming the P0A7F issue. It's a really long story but I have access to different hybrids and wanted to get another one on the road that had been abandoned with the dreaded P0A7F due to previous owner abuse/neglect. Turns out thanks to another forum member (thank you so much if you're reading this), that a simple bi-directional OBDII scan tool w/ code reset capability was sufficient to disable the CEL/IMA codes long enough to pass an inspection and obtain state registration. I was prepared for a battery swap but after noticing even a completely abused battery (been sitting for YEARS) was able to be restored through simple driving enough to clear enough 6 I/Ms sufficient to pass inspection, I realized a battery swap may not be needed. The key is really slow, 'grandma-style' driving with slow acceleration to start breaking in the worn battery. Parked outside inspection center and revved in L gear to fully regenerate battery before pulling into bay. Worked like a charm and hilariously the IMA/CEL came on about .5 miles after leaving the inspection place with normal driving.

Old 03-19-2020, 07:38 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Per https://www.greenhybrid.com/forums/f51/appropriate-economic-scan-tool-hch-2008-a-32277 you either don't need one, or any cheap one will do.