Third party GPS in a HCHII - mounting them

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 09:11 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Third party GPS in a HCHII - mounting them

--

Last edited by xcel; 12-02-2007 at 07:23 PM.
Old 12-23-2005, 05:08 AM
Active Enthusiast

Hi All,

Wayne, thanks for the link! I have been 'lurking' in their forums for the last few weeks gathering info about my GPS purchase.

9G-man, what is tipping me over to the Nuvi is the SiRF chipset. As I am in a mostly urban environment, I need all the help I can get to keep a lock on satellites. The price is a bit high, but all the critics so far have been outstanding. I don't mind paying for a good quality piece of equipment. Those disks that you put on the dash, those are the 'permanent ones' right?

Thanks,
Stephane.

Old 12-23-2005, 05:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

QUOTE=slajeune]Hi All,

Wayne, thanks for the link! I have been 'lurking' in their forums for the last few weeks gathering info about my GPS purchase.

9G-man, what is tipping me over to the Nuvi is the SiRF chipset. As I am in a mostly urban environment, I need all the help I can get to keep a lock on satellites. The price is a bit high, but all the critics so far have been outstanding. I don't mind paying for a good quality piece of equipment. Those disks that you put on the dash, those are the 'permanent ones' right?

Thanks,
Stephane.[/QUOTE]

Yes, that's the perm. disk, but it's no so perminent.....If installed on a hard surface (plastic) is comes off. I'd be more cautious on the softer touch dashes.
Nuvi is cutting edge, quite a nice unit. I got that Garmin for $520.00 from Circuit City by having them match a Wal-Mart.com price. Good Forum and user reviews herehttp://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/default.asp?CAT_ID=2

Old 12-31-2005, 06:56 PM
Active Enthusiast

I just bought the TomTom for myself as a X-mas gift. It's pretty awesome to say the least. There's nothing better than having Joanna Lumley tell me "now darling, turn the car around and go the other way." And it was only $600 compared to the in dash unit which I think was about 2-3x the price. Mounting it next to the rear view mirror is perfect for me.

The downloadable voices work on most portable navs.. I think.
Here is the list of voices I have found so far:

Sarah Michelle Geller, M Monroe, Dr Evil, Michael Caine, Kim Cattrall, Tony Blair, Knight Rider, The Queen (of England), George Dubya Bush, R2D2, The California Governator, Austin Powers, Clint Eastwood, Darth Vader, Homer, Joanna Lumley (Patsy Stone from AbFab), Lady Newsreader, Ozzy, Patrick Stewart, Sean Connery, Sharon Osbourne, Yoda, Andy Siddell, Justin Moorhouse, Liz Whitaker, Robot, Stephen Hawking, John Cleese