Coasting question

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 01:12 AM
Insomniac
Question Coasting question

I apologize if this question has been answered already, but I didn't find anything about it in a quick search of the threads... My question is this: When I got my new Civic Thursday, I asked the salesman whether I should continue my habit of coasting to a red light in order to avoid braking. He specifically advised me to NOT do that because the braking charges the battery. Was that bad advice? (He said he had only been with Honda for about six months and was an airline mechanic before that, so I trust your answers!) Thanks in advance.

Old 12-31-2005, 02:29 AM
Default Re: Coasting question

Coasting and braking both use no gas so doing them for the same distance is equally fuel-efficient, and braking for a shorter distance than coasting is less fuel-efficient. But if you do do them the same distance anyway, braking will generate more electricity than coasting.

Old 12-31-2005, 07:03 AM
Dual-Hybrid First Adopter

What CGC Said.

An interesting habit to get into with your new civic is that *before* you start that initial coast into the upcoming stop, you can sort of nudge on the brakes a little which "activates" the regeneration system. (It's not really an on/off switch, but it'll alert the car's brain that, oh, we're getting ready to stop) and it starts the battery charging dance.)

Having said that, though, the one place that coasting will become *crucial* to your mileage is at-speed. Find the places where you do not need to have your foot on the pedal to make the car move forward, and find a practice of giving "love taps" to the accelerator to keep the car moving, rather than constantly pushing on the pedal. The more you coast along in that mode while driving, the more green lights you'll see on your dash. (The technique is referred to on here as "Tap and Glide")

Doesn't work for diddly-squat in an Accord (different theory of how to save gas in that car) but you can really take that technique to the bank by the time you get the car good and broken in.

Old 12-31-2005, 07:28 AM
Enthusiast
Talking Re: Coasting question

Hay whats up
Your habit of coasting to a red light in order to avoid braking is the way to go.
coasting allso charges the battery to. This is what i have been doing and never had my battery go less then 1/2 its charge .

Old 12-31-2005, 08:45 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Typical of these sales people to know less than their customers. Once they figure a way to have the customer do the paperwork, I think most of these sales people are going to be toast.

The less acceleration the less gas. The batteries know what they're doing. Simple as that.

Old 12-31-2005, 09:04 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by perli
I apologize if this question has been answered already, but I didn't find anything about it in a quick search of the threads... My question is this: When I got my new Civic Thursday, I asked the salesman whether I should continue my habit of coasting to a red light in order to avoid braking. He specifically advised me to NOT do that because the braking charges the battery. Was that bad advice? (He said he had only been with Honda for about six months and was an airline mechanic before that, so I trust your answers!) Thanks in advance.
I know on the '06 civic, with very very light throttle pressure, the engine will shut off and you will be able to coast without using any fuel (you can tell this is the case if the fuel economy gauge is maxed out). This technique is being referred to as a "glide" on these forums. With slightly more pressure on the pedal, you can engage a small amount of electric assist, still without using any gas. This will not be enough to accelerate the car, but it will allow you to greatly extend the distance of the "glide."

For maximum fuel economy between lights, accelerate up to speed normally, then "glide" as much as reasonably possible, using the electric boost. If you are coming up to a stop, brake lightly-- just enough so that you get maximum charging, but not so much that you engage the regular brake pads, unless necessary.

Old 12-31-2005, 09:35 AM
Active Enthusiast

I use coasting / "Zero Fuel Gliding" as an integral part of my technique. When in town, about 300-500 yards before a red light I let off the gas to start my glide. It seems as though most drivers are less inclined to ride your rear or zoom around you as you approach a red light ... well that it is dependent upon the maturity of the other drivers. I also extend out my braking in town when the battery is at around 4 bars. I've notice when I have a fully charged battery, the IMA really helps fuel economy.

Old 12-31-2005, 01:34 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Another way to think is don't get up to a very high speed close to where you may have to slow down.
If you do you may have wasted some of that gas.

When it IS time to decide to slow down (whether using the brakes or coasting) wouldn't it be smarter to be going 35 instead of 45?

Also leaving a lot of space in front of you helps save gas cause you have more time to gradually slow down, and didn't waste gas to get up to speed to follow so closely.

Old 01-01-2006, 05:26 AM
Dual-Hybrid First Adopter

Originally Posted by AZMerf
Typical of these sales people to know less than their customers. Once they figure a way to have the customer do the paperwork, I think most of these sales people are going to be toast.
I've been thinking that I should write up a simple FAQ for "my" salesman since I'm one of those oddballs that has both flavors of Honda hybrids. Just the basic stuff on how to drive the car, and that there is NOT a power steering pump on the Accord (he fumbled around under the hood for a minute or so until I reminded him that the steering is "bird on a wire" or whatever it's called )