Are P&G, Reboots and N Coasting REALLY OK?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 07:10 PM
Enthusiast
Default Are P&G, Reboots and N Coasting REALLY OK?

After having some recent issues (see recent posts I have made "Bad IMA" and "HUMMING"), I would like some technical info if possible.

Is, while driving, shifting into N to coast, rebooting and P&G really OK for the car? Any possibility of problems to the CVT?

Anyone know the Pros and Cons?

Thanks

Old 09-06-2005, 07:48 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Are P&G, Reboots and N Coasting REALLY OK?

I'm sure you will get plenty of opinions. Personally I have do some concern about the possibility of car damage using those techniques.

In addition to that, I find enough distractions on the road already, such that extra shifting to neutral, or rebooting, or P&G would only add to the risk of an accident for me.

Hence I think I will most likely always stay away from such methods of FE improvement.

Old 09-06-2005, 08:04 PM
Hybrid Wanna-be

agreed, I will put safety over FE any day.

I have seen several people mention ways to increase FE which in turn make your driving less safe and I just have to respectfully disagree with those methods.

Old 09-06-2005, 08:47 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Hybrid Jon:

___You can bet they can be damaging as even the most robust Auto’s were not meant to be forced into this realm … That being said, if you use every precaution, you should not have any problem. You do not just jam anything into gear at anytime nor do you run a P&G for 3 days straight unless you are really pushing for something special The Prius was almost made for it although not quite … The HCH w/a stick, rev match before clutch and ICE are connected up. For the CVT, let the idle settle in before accelerating after re-engagement from neutral … and do not re-engage at 60 + or some other such crazy speed.

___Whatever problems you were having previously have nothing to do with P&G or FAS’. I do hope they find whatever it was but from your last post, it sounds like the symptoms went away? Let’s hope that continues well into the distant future …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 09-06-2005, 08:55 PM

Hi Siliconhills:

___Having a cel phone in the car is un-safe so I do not carry one. Speeding is unsafe so I try not to break that rule … Increasing FE can make you safer if you are paying attention to your surroundings to take advantage of them. Whenever a new technique is to be locked in, a back country road is where it should be performed until perfected. Once the technique becomes second nature, you are safer then a newbie but there is always that possibility. I see our thoughts on the subject are diverging quickly at this point in time however.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 09-06-2005, 10:45 PM
Active Enthusiast

I have pushed up my average from ~53mpg to ~57mpg with minimal P&G or rebooting, simply by doing as much coasting as possible. I will admit that I do use the reboot technique, but only when there's no one tailgating me and I've got ~1 mile of downhill ahead.

Though I have experimented with some of the more extreme techniques such as P&G and D-FAS in my HCH MT, they are simply not practical in my day-to-day driving. Sure, I will never be among the top 5 in the hypermiler list, but that's ok... Just using my accelerator pedal judiciously, I have learned to get an average of ~57mpg. I'm sure if I had more opportunity to utilize rebooting and P&G, I could top 62mpg.

Old 09-07-2005, 10:37 AM

On the other side of FAS, there is no wear what-so-ever on my CVT for several miles

Old 09-08-2005, 09:17 AM

Pulse and glide is doing what in a HCH?

Old 09-08-2005, 09:35 AM
Active Enthusiast

Can someone tell me what all these acronyms are? I'm still new

Old 09-08-2005, 10:06 AM

Check out :

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/glossary.php

It explains some of the most used acronyms.

Regards,

Quick Reply: Are P&G, Reboots and N Coasting REALLY OK?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands