ScanGauge Mounting Location ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 11:26 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default ScanGauge Mounting Location ?

I got my ScanGaugeII and have been experimenting with it just setting on the passenger seat. I'm convinced it's useful enough to keep, so it's time to mount it somewhere.

The only location I've come up with where the SG is easily mounted and visible is just in front of the shifter and below the power outlets.

Any other ideas that have worked for you?

Also, has anyone tried to fabricate a more flexible cable for the SG? The RJ45 connector end of the cable is pretty stiff and complicates getting the cable to the SG. I was thinking that a 6" extension made of very flexible cable would allow a tighter bend in the cable, kind of like having a right-angle RJ45 connector.

Last edited by econoline; 02-05-2007 at 12:42 PM.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:03 PM
Megageek
Default Re: ScanGauge Mounting Location ?

Originally Posted by econoline
I got my ScanGaugeII and have been experimenting with it just setting on the passenger seat. I'm convinced it's useful enough to keep, so it's time to mount it somewhere.

The only location I've come up with where the SG is easily mounted and visible is just in front of the shifter and below the power outlets.

Any other ideas that have worked for you?

Also, has anyone tried to fabricate a more flexible cable for the SG? The RJ45 connector end of the cable is pretty stiff and complicates getting the cable to the SG. I was thinking that a 6" extension made of very flexible cable would allow a tighter bend in the cable, kind of like having a right-angle RJ45 connector.

I mounted mine on the steering column. I offset it a little to the right so I can still see the left display (for the avg mpg display) It does block the right display, but I don't use that one as much anyway. I got the display color to match the gauges and I'm happy with it where it is. I need it in a very easy to read location because I use it ALOT!

Old 02-06-2007, 08:39 PM
Enthusiast

I mounted my scangauge near the front edge of the dashboard in line with the center of the steering column. I find it easy to monitor the display without diverting my vision too far from the road (which I also monitor occasionally when driving).

I happen to be 6'2". Shorter people might find that the steering wheel blocks the view of the scangauge in that position. As a test, I tried slouching in the driver's seat to simulate what a shorter (munchkin like) person would see. In that situation better visibility was obtained by mounting the gauge about halfway towards the windshield.

Old 02-07-2007, 10:55 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Thanks guys. I should have experimented more before posting. I have it on the steering column now and it fits perfectly. I can just see over it enough to read the info gauge and odo behind it. I used the custom SC display color settings to match the dash lights and it looks perfect. Definitely a keeper, now we just need a display for SoC.