Mounting of EZ-Pass

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 03:36 AM
Enthusiast
Wink Mounting of EZ-Pass

I just recently ordered another NYS EZ-Pass car module that mounts on the windshield. The EZ-Pass modules is used to automatically pay tolls on major toll roads in NY, Mass, NJ, etc. on my other cars, I typically mount the module on the front windshield behind the rear view mirror and just under the tint line. I noticed that there is an area on the TCH consisting of dotted pattern on the upper part of the wind shield behind the rear view mirror. Has anyone tried to mount and use an EZ-pass module in their TCH and where did you mount the module?
Thanks for the information.

Old 09-26-2006, 04:19 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent
Default Re: Mounting of EZ-Pass

Originally Posted by Fastforward
I just recently ordered another NYS EZ-Pass car module that mounts on the windshield. The EZ-Pass modules is used to automatically pay tolls on major toll roads in NY, Mass, NJ, etc. on my other cars, I typically mount the module on the front windshield behind the rear view mirror and just under the tint line. I noticed that there is an area on the TCH consisting of dotted pattern on the upper part of the wind shield behind the rear view mirror. Has anyone tried to mount and use an EZ-pass module in their TCH and where did you mount the module?
Thanks for the information.
1) I mount it outside the dotted pattern. To the right and slightly above the mirror. It that location it is still blocked by the mirror from the driver's view.
2) That said, I do not mount it permanently since I have two automobiles and use the one transponder on both cars. I picked up a nice suction cup mount on eBay and then looped a heavy duty rubberband through one of the suction cup holes nearest the rearview mirror. I loop the rubberband around the mirror. That way if the suction cups should become detatched from the windshield the transponder doesn't fall (onto the NAV screen) and the rubber band is short enough to minimize an absorb any minor shock with the transponder becoming dislodged. Rather tha fall it would just swing. It's never fallen off the window.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BLACK...spagenameZWDVW

Old 09-26-2006, 05:44 AM
Don't Taunt Pepito

I have a Prius and got one of the external units. It's black and mounts on the front license plate. I really like not having the thing on my windshield anymore.

Old 09-26-2006, 11:11 AM
Enthusiast

When I got my new sticker decal type EZ Tags that replaced the plastic modular tags a month ago, here in Houston, I was concerned about the same thing. The shaded area behind the rear view mirror is called a "third visor" by the windshield glass industry, I guess because it acts like a, you guessed it, third visor in addition to the two inside your car that you can flap down or against your side window. I called the EZ Tag people and asked iif I could stick the new tag on top of the third visor and was told that there was no problem. The person that helped me, interestingly enough, did advise not to put it on top of the shaded area that goes all the way across the top of the windshield. I placed the tag on the third visor and haven't had any problem or contacts by the toll road authority in the 7 weeks since I did.

Old 09-26-2006, 12:21 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the information. That helps me out.

Old 09-26-2006, 12:50 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I mounted my Smart-Tag behind the rear-view mirror in the black-dotted areas. The Smart-Tag works just fine in that area.

Old 09-26-2006, 02:01 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fastforward
I Has anyone tried to mount and use an EZ-pass module in their TCH and where did you mount the module?
I'm also in Houston and got one of the new EZ Pass cards that looks and feels like laminated cardboard. I mounted mine just below the dotted area behind the rear-view mirror and centered left to right. Seems to work fine.

Old 09-26-2006, 04:45 PM
Along for the ride.....

I'd avoid the external if possible - very easy to damage. My daughter hit a deer with her Saab, Deer took off into the woods and only damage was the external ez pass.

Mine is also just below the black dots but behind and to the right of the mirror. works fine and is pretty hidden.

Old 09-26-2006, 06:50 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

My Florida Sunpass is mounted under my mirrow. I can not see it and it works fine.

Old 09-26-2006, 07:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

Makes me glad I live in a rural area and don't have to worry about that!

Quick Reply: Mounting of EZ-Pass

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands