Just ordered my upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 02:40 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Just ordered my upgrade

Originally Posted by doppler
Since I'm selling to good friends, both coworkers (a mother-daughter pair), I'm being generous and not asking anywhere near blue book. If I were to sell it to an unknow 3rd pary, I might ask $21,000, which includes the transfer of the 7 year extended warranty that cost me nearly $1,400.

The car will have just over 10k miles on it when we do the deal in April.
So 19k without the extended warranty? Is that even realistic? For 3k more the consumer can get a 2006.

Old 01-22-2006, 06:43 PM
G.H. Contributor
Lightbulb Re: Just ordered my upgrade

Hi;

The dealer handling Both ends of the deal is a very common practice. It's called a {Pass-Through} and there is usually a fee to do the paperwork, like my dealer is $100.00 or $150.00 Dollars to handle the deal.

The other answer to the used Civic Hybrid on the Tax Credit is {NO}, it is for New hybrids only.

HTH;

Terry

Old 01-22-2006, 06:53 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
Hi;

The other answer to the used Civic Hybrid on the Tax Credit is {NO}, it is for New hybrids only.
UNless the previous owner did not claim the tax credit right?

Old 01-22-2006, 07:08 PM
G.H. Contributor
Exclamation Re: Just ordered my upgrade

Originally Posted by shenfo
UNless the previous owner did not claim the tax credit right?
Hi;

To just make a comment on that. I don't think I would want to take a chance on the other person not taking the tax credit/deduction if I were you.

I think that most people that purchase a Hybid are going to be very aware of the fact that they had a tax credit/deduction coming and would be taking advantage of it.

Also I would suggest if there was any doubt in my mind about what I could take as a tax credit/deduction I would pick up the Phone and Call the IRS and ask what I could or not do as far as a Tax Credit/Deduction.

This would then let you sleep at night and not ever have to worry about the IRS down the road doing an Audit and you getting Charged back for the Money Plus Interest and then having the IRS watching you there after.

Messing with the IRS in my opinion is not a good idea, If in Doubt Ask.

HTH:

Terry

Old 01-22-2006, 11:53 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shenfo
Unless the previous owner did not claim the tax credit right?
No. The tax credit applies only to vehicles that are initially put in service in 2006.

Old 01-23-2006, 06:54 AM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast
Default Re: in-out common

Originally Posted by phoebeisis
Tim-dealers aren't constrained to give just wholesale prices on trade ins.They commonly give folks more than wholesale.Of course,they make it up by charging full MSRP,or on the financing.
Yes they are not bound to wholesale. They'll give less if they think they can get away with it. I sold cars long enough to see just about every combination of deal. Your point is spot on - if a dealer gives you more for a trade it's because they're taking it out of you somewhere else. I think this also supports my point that car dealers are not in the business of benevolent acts of generosity. I still smell a rat. Yes, I know they do "pass through" deals, and I'm aware of how they work. I'm also aware that dealers will tell you anything to get you back into the negotiating booth, and what they promise you now may look very different when the numbers are infront of you. They're not in this for the $100 doc fee - that doesn't pay the bills at a car dealership. They're in this for the $1000 they can make on the trade as it "passes hands" (or the extra $ they can charge for the new car - take your pick). The question remains whether the dealers numbers are better than what you'd get doing the deal yourself.