How much did you pay for your hybrid civic?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 09:37 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: How much did you pay for your hybrid civic?

Originally Posted by DarkHorse2160
I've seen the exact "authentic HondaCare" plan that I bought, listed at anywhere from $900 up to $1800 at various sites on the net, but I don't know whether I'd trust any of them. Most the ones I saw were actually sold out of what appeared to be Honda dealerships in other states. I can't see how Honda Corporate lets this happen. I know they do not administer the warranty program, but you'd think they'd have a vital interest in ensuring that it was run properly. Why are there such HUGE price differences for the "same" plan? What should it cost? Who's pocketing the difference?

For me, I'll trust what I've already got in writing and know is authentic. Call me a sucker, but I can deal with that AND I'm still happy with the car!
I think you did alright on the warranty, especially if it is refundable if unused; the ones you buy on the internet are non-refundable across the board. I also agree with your logic on the expense of repairs if the electronics and software need repair/replacement-- that is the area I believe that is a real possible maintencnace/repair expense on this car. One repair could be trmendously expensive for labor and what amounts to a new computer per se-- except an automotive one which won't be at Dell internet pricing for sure. ( slightly smaller market- world versus Honda Civic Hybrid 2006 owners-- guess who pays more?)

The only part on your very nice listing that seems way out of wack is that dealer processing fee for 289$; but that is an observation and not a criticism of you or your deal in anyway.

In my post you can see that I paid a 69 dollar dealer inventory tax for a car that was sold within 2 hours after coming off of the truck. Another "red herring" for sure.

Old 05-24-2006, 09:26 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Anahymbrid
Here in So. California, the idea of a dealer with ANY HCHII in stock is shocking... as is a discount of $500 off MSRP. Be thankful you live in Colorado! I bought the identical vehicle for MSRP... sight unseen with a two month wait... not even a test drive, nor a look at a non-hybrid civic in silver (my dealer sells 'em as fast as he gets 'em!). I had to rely on photos from Honda's site and the better shots from helpful folks here at GreenHybrid to satisfy my curiosity for the two month wait.

At least I got the better CA warranty, HOV lane use, and... oh yeah... it doesn't snow here. Okay... maybe, we're even now!

Enjoy your new car!
CO has passed legislation that would allow hybrids to use HOV lanes. However, they are dragging their feet to implement it. My communte doesn't take me by any HOV lanes, but my wife would occasionally be able to use them in a few months.

The demand is still pretty high for HCHIIs here in CO, but it sounds like it is worse in CA. It was hard for us to find one for a test drive. Most dealers did not have any in stock.

Old 05-25-2006, 07:00 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks to tips I received from this board I had a great buying experience. After a visit to a local dealer revealed that people in the SF Bay Area are on waiting lists to pay $1000 over MSRP, I emailed several dealers within a 90 mile radius. The Costco-referred dealer told me the HCHs are too hot a car to qualify for special pricing, and refused to quote me his selling price. I purchased my Galaxy Gray w/ Navi for MSRP from Roseville, near Sacramento. John, their internet manager, was fantastic, a straight shooter from beginning to end, and quoted itemized out-the-door pricing. Their policy is not to add on extras unless requested by the buyer. Two weeks after my intial contact, I picked up the car. The process at the dealership was the easiest I have ever experienced - no trade in or financing - and no pressure to buy any sevice contracts or add ons. At my request John expedited the registration process so I could apply for the HOV stickers, and the plates arrived in two weeks.

Bottom line: MSRP Galaxy Gray w/ Navi $24200 (including destination)
Splash Guards: $152
Floor mats: $101
Doc Fee: $45
plus tax and license

I highly recommend looking outside of your immediate area if you live in a crowded urban area like I do. Roseville Honda was great and delivered everything as promised with absolutely no pressured sales tactics. I also had good contacts with dealers in Modesto and Merced.

Old 05-26-2006, 07:33 AM
Active Enthusiast

I think its a rip to pay over MSRP for any car. That is unless one has a lot of useless disposable income filling up their wallet Of course if one is really really emotionally attached to a vehicle, and it makes them happy paying that price, then more power to them. The problem arises is that their acceptance of that price drives up the price for others that are not so inclined. I'm somewhat of a penny pincher and like to pay for something based upon its actual value and not emotional value.

Issues to take note of.

-$3/gal gas isn't that expensive. Its 1/2 the price of europe and japan. You pay more per gallon of -bottled filtered _tap_ water-. Why aren't people screaming over that? Gas pricing isn't that much of an issue to me (now).. its the Co2, emissions, and conservation issues related to it that I am more tuned into.
-Gas hype is political. Its an election year, and it gets people to watch the news (ratings). It happens every election cycle. Political banter is jacking up prices.
-Production numbers are relatively low on the HCH2, dealers will take a grab at any reason to jack the price up. *limited supply*. Of course there is.. they didn't make a heck of a lot! That doesn't mean they are selling millions of the vehicle. 1% of total car sales are hybrid. They make more money on high volume mainstream car sales.
-Even dealers that blather that they 'buy for less so can sell for less' don't mark down below MSRP. I rubbed this in the face of a dealership that broadcasts that very statem ent over the airwaves. They had no response.
-Dealers hear the political wrangling over gas..the general 'fear the future' air which exists in this country and jack prices up accordingly. Its all emotion.
-Dealers are marking vehicles up because they know darn well the owner is likely to get a tax credit for the purchase. What better way to make more profit? Mark up to offset the tax credit. Rather than going into the pocket of the vehicle owner, it goes into the pocket of the dealership.

Gas prices have been rising since the discovery of oil and the automobile. Nothing is new, and it will never change. Trends are that it will always be more expensive. That is how it is. So when a dealer pushes onto me 'well, I have to charge this rediculously exhorbitant price for this car.. because gas is *getting expensive*', I blink my eyes, shake my head, and think 'scammer'. The logic? Why should I pay $1,500 over a fair price when that markup alone would take years to pay back in gas savings? Explain to me? Their overcharge negates any gas savings benefits gained.

Sorry for the ranting.. its just i'm getting the runaround from various dealerships and they are jacking up prices like mad. The greedy bas.....ds

Old 05-26-2006, 02:19 PM
Enthusiast

I just bought mine last week. I paid $28,456 for mine.

$24,200 (HCH '06 w/ Navi)
$800 (XM Radio w/Install)
$1,150 (Interior Fabric/Exterior Paint Treatment and Theft Registartion)
$2306 (tax, Title, Licenses. etc.)

Total: $28,456 w/ 4.74% for five years from my credit union.

I live in So. Cal (LA) and have been trying to get one since March. Every dealership in LA and the Valley was charging between $1K and $3K over sticker. I ended up buying in Ventura County and the only charged MSRP.

I still think I got ripped on the interior fabric, exterior paint treatment, and theft registration. I did not want it but did not have a choice, it was already on the car. The XM was a little high, but all in all the sales man was good, he took my info over the phone and had it ready for me to sign when I went in. There were three people trying to get their paperwork in first to transact on the car. I got lucky. Anyway, that my story.

Old 05-26-2006, 02:41 PM
Active Enthusiast

I think our main problem is that for various reasons, buyers are getting on a waiting list for a trickle of cars. Therefore, demand far outstrips supply.

The way I see it, the extra money I spent is a mandate to Honda to continue with fuel efficient cars. I am very interested in their FCX Concept car that is fuel cell powered (the really cool one not the little ugly compact).

Here's a link to that

http://world.honda.com/Tokyo2005/fcx/I otherwise share the frustration that a good idea is made somewhat dubious by pricing. Hopefully in a few years they will have them in abundance at dealerships so we can negotiate for real.

Old 05-29-2006, 10:57 PM
Enthusiast

I haven't actually paid for for the car yet, but I have put down my $500 deposit on the 2006 HCH w/ Navi. I'm paying MSRP. Living in the Bay Area, I was only able to get this price in Fresno, CA. I'll be taking the train there in mid-July to pick it up. Pretty stoked for a nice 3-4 hour ride back in my new car, actually. Especially playing with the Nav.

Last edited by tfaz1; 05-29-2006 at 11:15 PM.
Old 06-04-2006, 08:57 AM
Enthusiast

Just picked it up on Wed in Phoenix, AZ. Paid full MSRP for 2006 w/NAV Silver ($24,200, plus tax/title). I couldn't find it any cheaper in the Phoenix area.

Old 06-04-2006, 12:20 PM
Active Enthusiast

I've got a Mag Pearl with Nav on order. It was supposed to go into production end of May so I don't expect to see it until mid-July timeframe. But I would love it earlier.
I paid $300 under MSRP ($24,200 MSRP).
All season floor mats $123.00
Splash Guards $127.00
Wheel Locks $74.00
Got a $3000 NYS tax credit (which saved me $240 of sales tax (8% that might go to 8.75% with a county tax increase by the time I get the car - ouch).

Title & Reg $102.00
Dealer charge for handling registration stuff $45.00
Inspection fee & tire tax $22.0
Wash, Polish and Matls $59.95

Total Price is $26,151.37

This is the 3rd Honda my wife or I have bought from this dealer in 4 yrs. Plus we have been very good about taking the cars there for service. That is where the $300 discount came from.

Of course once I file taxes next year I will get the tax credit to help.

Overall I have been very pleased with the dealer (John Holtz Honda in Rochester NY).

They also had a spring time sale on Honda Car Car 5yrs/60K miles for $795 + tax. Plus they will honor that price when I get the finally receive the car. So I will go for it.

Mike

Old 06-04-2006, 05:01 PM
Enthusiast

I bought mine this past weekend. Actually I will completing the formalities this coming week.
I bought the Galaxy grey (not my first choice) w/o Navi for $22,400. With taxes, registration and doc fees the total comes to $23,700 something.
I had put a deposit ($500) with this dealer for a magnetic pearl. But the dealer called last week to inform that instead of mag. pearl they have the galaxy grey. I had waited for close to a month to see the car. Hence I did not say "no" right away.
We went to the dealership to have a look at the car.I sm not so particular about the color.I already have a Black civic so this one was okay with me. Only thing was the interior is light in color and that concerns me (stains and smudges).So I will have to be careful.

All in all I am happy about the purchase(will write detail about the car once I take the delivery). The buying experience was good &bad.I say that because the salesperson was a really nice guy. I wanted to strike a deal and he was not at all ready to give any concession on the price(I knew that was going to be the case, but I still wanted to take my chances particularly because I was made to wait and not offered the vehicle which I was promised).
But when the manager of the dealership stepped into our dealing conversation it was not at all a good experience. I was surprised to see suah a behaviour from the manager. I guess the dealership will lose customers if the present manager continues to be in-charge of the delareship.The reason I say that is because the manager was a big ZERO as far as customer relationship is concerned.

Anyways I only sealed the deal because of the salesperson who is a very nice person.

I would like to know if there is checklist on this website that talks about "TO DO's" and "NOT TO DO's" list after buying a HCH.

I am glad to join this club and contribute to the environment.

Quick Reply: How much did you pay for your hybrid civic?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands