Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Congratulations Hyper-Milers!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 06:07 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Congratulations Hyper-Milers!

--

Last edited by xcel; 12-02-2007 at 05:10 PM.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:52 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by xcel
Hi All:

___I will soon have to remove cars from members that are not active as I have already culled the non-hybrid list at just a touch below 30 mpg’s due to exceeding the 15,000 character limit of the first post in the thread. Unless Jason gives me some more Bandwidth, this threads list will be include the same number of hypermilers but the lower end and/or not active will have to be removed

___Wayne R. Gerdes
Bummer. I'm still trying to get the Crown Vic dialed in to get those 30 mpg numbers I "unoficially" saw on my drive home from Denver with it. I say unofficial as I used the pump clicking off number to see what I thought I got, while logging the "top off" number on the pump for the written record. I checked that number, as I when I filled it up in Denver, I did not add after the pump shutoff, as it was splashing a bit of fuel back when I tried to top it off the first time. I figured out why it was doing that, and adjusted the nozzle accordingly. It made for an artificially low number on that first fillup, but is what I had to log due to the fact that it was the number on the pump and receipt.

I got the tires aired up to the sidewall max of 44 psi, and will be making my neighbour walk up to my house on our carpool to work, instead of driving the 600 feet down there on a stone cold engine to pick her up. If these adjustments get it over that 30 mpg number that I'm hoping for, it'll be a LONG time before it gets the mention. The weather and driving environment haven't been too friendly to the current tank either. Oh well, the challenges are fun.

Old 11-30-2005, 04:22 AM

___GoNavy, Valedictorian status is based on 1.2 X the EPA highway – lmpg. This method gives a break to the eCVT and HSD hypermilers (FEH’s, Prius II’s, RXh’s, and HH’s).

thanks, Wayne. I just realized that its specified in the 1st post (my thread view puts that last). Guess nobody's holding their breath for any HAH jockeys anytime soon- 39.6 is a long way off, especially without a FAS capability for all intents and purposes. At least in my realm 39.x mpg tanks are do-able in the summer (proved it last summer)- it could be possible to string together 5 tanks like that if the planets align juuust right. Something to shoot for.

Last edited by gonavy; 11-30-2005 at 04:25 AM.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:30 AM

___I will soon have to remove cars from members that are not active as I have already culled the non-hybrid list at just a touch below 30 mpg’s due to exceeding the 15,000 character limit of the first post in the thread. Unless Jason gives me some more Bandwidth, this threads list will be include the same number of hypermilers but the lower end and/or not active will have to be removed

Jason mentioned that he was considering marking "inactive" members in the DB too. Make it a little easier to see who the peer group is when looking at the list.
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...cars.4286.html
Criteria was not determined yet- I suggested 6-8 weeks, TBaleno called for 6 months.

Old 11-30-2005, 05:09 AM
Active Enthusiast

Hi All:

___Krousdb, congratulations to you as well as I just added your 97 Subaru named HiHyWannabe to the list

___And about that CRX … I believe lean-burn came about in much later CRX variants? Gen 6 maybe?

1985 Civic HF: 49/54 w/ Non-CA. emissions - 45/51 w/ CA. emissions I think?
1986 Civic HF: 52/57 w/ FFS (Feedback Fuel System)
1987 Civic HF: 52/57 w/ FFS
1988 Civic CRX HF: 50/56 w/ FFS and Non-CA. Emissions - 45/53 w/ I think?
1989 Civic CRX HF: 50/56 w/ FFS and Non-CA. Emissions - 45/52 w/ I think?
1990 Civic CRX HF: 49/52 w/ FFS and Non-CA. Emissions - 43/49 w/ I think?

___My dream Civic would have been the 1.3 L CRX HF (EPA 51/67) but here is a little history on the Gen 2 or 3 (depends on who you are reading): 1984 - 87 Civic CRX and HF’s that I found just tonight. 88 - 91’s came with Double wishbones on all 4 corners!
Yes, I found that same article yesterday. It looks like my 86 is good for 52/57. But what really amazes me is that the difference in highway FE on the 84 vs 85 was 13MPG! The body was the same. The tranny and wheels were the same. The only difference was going from a 1341cc to a 1488cc engine. So an 11% increase in displacement resulted in a 24% drop in FE? Something else had to have happened in addition to a change in displacement. Do you know I could find out? Maybe the 84 was the original Honda lean burn engine with a different carb? Maybe the cam profile was changed? Maybe the compression ratio? Maybe the EPA changed the highway mileage test?

The guy I bought it from is a retired automotive engineer from Ford. He did all of the work himself. In his opinion, the CRX was the best car ever made, certainly better than anything Ford has ever put out (his words, not mine).

Along with my like-new old car, comes a boatload of parts and repair manual. He also threw in a newly rebuilt DX carb. He says the driveability is better with the DX carb, although the FE suffers 2MPG in the city, no highway FE difference. He gets 38 city and 46 highway at 75-80MPH.

I told him to put the HF carb on for me when I pick it up. I will keep the DX for a spare. I would love to get my hands on a 84 carb. It may hold the secret.

By the way, i noticed for 86, the CRX got a Fuel Feedback System as well as flush mounted headlights. Do you think the 3mpg hwy boost came from that?

Dan

Old 11-30-2005, 06:38 AM
Banned

Yes, the 86 CRX had the first flush-mounted headlights. I was suprized to see it had FE quoted as higher than the 88 CRX. Unfortunately I only vaguely remember that the 86 CRX HF consistently got over 50mpg. The 88 CRX HF not only could get 50mpg with reasonable driving, but 60mpg with decent hypermiling. That was before a tune-up crippled my 88 CRX

Just remember, the 1st gear is high - you have to give it a little gas from a standstill....

Old 01-18-2006, 07:55 PM
Default Re: Congratulations Hypermilers!

--

Last edited by xcel; 12-02-2007 at 05:11 PM.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:27 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Congratulations Hypermilers!

___Krousdb, nice catch on the EPA’s newly implemented (at the time ) test correction factors skewing the 84 - 85 City/Highway FE results for the Honda CRX.
As things turned out, after flying down to Tampa to pick up the 86 CRX, I ended up flying back the next day. The car was a piece of garbage. It could barely make it out of the driveway much less the 1300 mile drive to Pittsburgh.

Since then I found a sweet 93 Del Sol S 5-Speed (EPA 34/38 MPG) with only 42k miles. I am 3/4 way through my first tank and it looks like I am over 50 MPG. I will know for sure over the weekend. I am using FAS with the ignition switch and most of the time I can restart while still moving by dropping into 4th and letting out the clutch. This weekend I will be installing an ignition kill button which will save wear and tear on the ignition switch while allowing to odometer to capture distance traveled during the ignition kill. I am also thinking about a remote starter switch.

I treated myself to 15" aluminum rims and 185/65/15 Kumho A/S 795's at 45 PSI (35 PSI max). The original 175/70/13"s have about 1/8" less tread width and caused the speedo/odo to over register by 5%. The new tires are MUCH quieter and ride MUCH better, even and 45 PSI. Cornering is greatly improved and allows for much longer coasting because I can take corners faster. The larger tire diameter results in a speedo under registering by 4%. I will correct for that when reporting MPG results.

At 500 miles per tank, it will take me until the end of February to meet the 3 tank minimum for hypermiler status. Keep an eye out for me!

Old 01-19-2006, 05:40 AM
Banned

krousdb,

I guess your victory was avoiding a lemon.

Come to think of it, a well-maintained CRX HF with a FE computer would be a pretty nice package.

Old 01-19-2006, 11:11 AM
Active Enthusiast

Calling it a lemon would be quite a compliment. At least with a lemon the car looks and drives well enough to get some unfortunate soul to buy it. This car was more like a squashed grapefruit. I guess the guy thought that if I flew down to get it, I would have to take it back with me. I just had him take me to the airport and I sat for 22 hours waiting for the next flight. I was out about $500, but I guess it was better than buying a lemon and getting stranded on the way home.

But everything turned out for the better. I now have a low mileage, sporty, high MPG Del Sol with a removeable top.

Quick Reply: Congratulations Hyper-Milers!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands