Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Congratulations Hyper-Milers!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 12:50 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Congratulations Hyper-Milers!

so...no more updates? it figures that when i get to hypermiler status this thread dies

Old 04-04-2006, 01:30 PM
Engineering first

It happened to me too. So I've adjusted my signature to add the star. Subtle, it works.

BTW, congratulations. It is not a trivial task. In the Prius I group, only 7 out of 49 are hypermilers:

"el más con aire satisfecho"
(for those who remember the SNL skit "Qui es mas macho?")

Bob Wilson

Old 05-17-2006, 05:27 AM
Active Enthusiast

I just added my first tank into the data base. 540 miles before the blinking box on the gas gage, 9.3 gallons of gas to fill it to the very top. 58 MPG for a new 2006 Prius 2 in combined driving.

My jeep Wrangler used to get 15 on the same trips to and from work !!!!!

Old 05-17-2006, 05:38 AM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by pcflorida
I just added my first tank into the data base. 540 miles before the blinking box on the gas gage, 9.3 gallons of gas to fill it to the very top. 58 MPG for a new 2006 Prius 2 in combined driving.
Well DONE!

Details, details.

Bob Wilson

Old 05-17-2006, 09:08 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
Well DONE!

Details, details.

Bob Wilson
Thanks, just getting back on-line. I drove the first 200 miles like a regular car, the last 300 using a light foot, running on the motor - battery as much as possible, and coasting and lightly braking as much as possible. I had one 19 mile trip from the plant to my house which averaged 80.8 MPG by the computer.
eight of those miles are on highway 98 at about 55 MPH, but some days it is closer to 45. The rest of the way is on city streets at 35 MPH and several lights and stop signs.

Old 05-17-2006, 10:43 AM
Engineering first
Thumbs up Re: Congratulations Hyper-Milers!

Originally Posted by pcflorida
Thanks, just getting back on-line. I drove the first 200 miles like a regular car, the last 300 using a light foot, running on the motor - battery as much as possible, and coasting and lightly braking as much as possible. I had one 19 mile trip from the plant to my house which averaged 80.8 MPG by the computer.
eight of those miles are on highway 98 at about 55 MPH, but some days it is closer to 45. The rest of the way is on city streets at 35 MPH and several lights and stop signs.
Prefect! I've found speeds from 51-70 MPH will always give at least 50-55 MPG. In the city, speeds below 39 MPH are always safe. In fact, I've gotten 80 MPG using 30 MPH on my 10 mile commute home, now that the less cold weather has returned.

I tried to get 'hypermiler' status on my first 3,000 miles but one 'learning curve' segment of 250 miles made it slip out to three weeks. Looks like you'll make it on the first go.

Bob Wilson

Old 06-01-2006, 11:05 PM
Site Founder

Wayne, will you still be updating this thread? I hate to have it die... it's been such a great topic!

Old 06-02-2006, 04:27 AM
Engineering first
Thumbs up Re: Congratulations Hyper-Milers!

Originally Posted by Jason
Wayne, will you still be updating this thread? I hate to have it die... it's been such a great topic!
Would it be possible to have a periodic program, say once per day or week or month, send a congratulations message to the new hypermilers?

Alternatively, perhaps when someone enters their hypermiler tank, auto-post the announcement here.

The reason for automating is the number of hypermilers and entries in the database is only likly to go up over time. Automating this task is probably the right answer.

Bob Wilson

Old 07-19-2006, 11:41 PM
Enthusiast

In the absence of Wayne, I see some people are having a very good hypermiler summer season and would like to point out some impressive tanks being recorded on the Insight MT data base.

Congratulations go to Randall Burkhalter (HyperMPG Highwater) for what I belive is a sight record of 110.6 MPG. His last three tanks have averaged out to 108.1 MPG over 3157 miles. His last ten tanks have averaged out to 99.9 MPG over 9823 miles.

I'm straining as I pat myself on the back for being the newist member of the 100+MPG club. There are five of us now, 4 Insight and 1 Prius. There are two others that are very close, one at 99.6 and another at 97.0.

I consider the Greenhybrid mileage data base to be one of the best on the net and would like to see it continue to grow. I'd like to encourage ALL of you, not just Insight people, to update your records if you haven't done so in a while. I know it's more work but personally I like to see a tank-by-tank record as it adds more credibility to the data base.

Good luck and keep up the good work....Louis (sno779 silver slipper)

Old 08-10-2006, 09:03 AM
Enthusiast

Do any of you HyperMilers cause road-rage via slow take-offs or substandard accellerations? I am not trying to be abrasive in my question. I have a Prius, and the only way I can see getting the kind of milage you guys tout would be to accellerate very slowly (using only the battery) and then somehow maintaining that "sweet-spot" in speed where the battery does the majority of the workload. This would mean often-times driving at a rate that would more than likely irritate everyone else on the road. In short, I need to find out your secrets...

Quick Reply: Congratulations Hyper-Milers!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands