"Stop Safely Now"

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 04:42 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: "Stop Safely Now"

My thought is that if you have a demonstrable first contact, prior to 16 days ago, with a Ford dealer or other official Ford repair organization, you should simply state that it should be covered. Your basis is that it was raised within the warranty to an official Ford organ.

The rest is simply you having to do homework to enable these Ford outfits to properly do their job.

Don't be too strident or nasty, just state that it was reported within the warranty period and you believe Ford is therefore obligated to honor it. The rest is just ignorance on their part, but say this nicely.

For example: you know how hard these guys work, you don't expect them to have every item on the tip of their tongues, so you did some homework for them.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:11 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Red face Re: "Stop Safely Now"

Originally Posted by Luthersquire
I've just started the battle/process of getting Ford to honor the recall of the Service Harness. Any suggestions?
What's the issue with the harness work? I thought it was a true "safety" recall, with no expiration date and not limited to original owners?

Last edited by glennb; 09-11-2009 at 11:15 AM.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:57 AM

You know, I think glennb has something there...

Old 09-11-2009, 01:25 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Originally Posted by Luthersquire
Folks-

We bought it as a 1 year used 2006 FEH in 2007 and evidently someplace along the line, the recall letter was allegedly sent out and we missed it... I found out that the recall expired 16 days ago!

I've just started the battle/process of getting Ford to honor the recall of the Service Harness. Any suggestions?
YES! A new TSB has been issued to replace the old one. I think you are OK and should get this very minor modification to your battery completed free of charge.

"TSB 09-18-06 - 2005 -2007 Escape Hybrid, 2006 - 2007 Mariner Hybrid - Instrumentation Warnings - Reduced Engine Power
Some 2005 - 2007 Escape Hybrid vehicles built from 10/13/2003 to 12/19/2006 and Mariner Hybrid vehicles built from 6/10/2005 to 10/11/2006 may have a red triangle illuminated on the cluster accompanied by an audible chime. In addition, the message center will indicate Stop Safely Now and the Powertrain Control Module will command the vehicle to shut down. Diagnostic trouble code P0A27 for Hybrid Battery Power Off Circuit will also be present.

Refer to the attached TSB 09-18-06 in its entirety and follow the service procedures to correct the condition. This service procedure replaces Customer Satisfaction Program 07B48 which expired on 8/22/09."

Old 09-11-2009, 01:49 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Originally Posted by Bill Winney
You know, I think glennb has something there...
NO. It was never a "safety recall" or safety issue, and was never mandatory.
Recall has NEVER been used in the verbage to officially describe this.

It was a "customer satisfaction" prodedure to "prevent dis-satisfied customers" not to prevent loss of life.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by gpsman1
NO. It was never a "safety recall" or safety issue, and was never mandatory. Recall has NEVER been used in the verbage to officially describe this. It was a "customer satisfaction" prodedure to "prevent dis-satisfied customers" not to prevent loss of life.
I suppose you are correct John.....but it is highly unusual to get letters from the mfr announcing the "campaign" if it is just a optional, "happy customer" situation. I thought I remember we all got letters from Ford telling us to get it done (?)

Old 09-12-2009, 04:42 AM

If I had kept my letter I would scan it and post it. Keep in mind that if this problem happened in heavy traffic, in a city such that there might not be a shoulder, this could be a big deal.

Old 09-12-2009, 06:06 AM
Red

(Neighbors car). 2008 high mileage FEH shut down, overheating. Restarted Fri. morning and got it to the dealership. Tech opened the radiator cap - no coolant moving. Tapped the electric water pump with a long screwdriver and it started up. Found the pump at a nearby dealership and installed it by noon. Loved the diagnosis and the promptness of the repair. Running like a champ again.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Red
(Neighbors car). 2008 high mileage FEH shut down, overheating. Restarted Fri. morning and got it to the dealership. Tech opened the radiator cap - no coolant moving. Tapped the electric water pump with a long screwdriver and it started up. Found the pump at a nearby dealership and installed it by noon. Loved the diagnosis and the promptness of the repair. Running like a champ again.
That's how the typical M/E Coolant pump diagnosis was explained to me:
1) overheating (and/or overheating DTCs)
2) visual inspection of coolant flow (or lack thereof)
3) manipulation of the pump to see if it changes

A weak link in the original FEH design not caught by Ford before production...I would have liked it if Ford had changed out all of them as a 'service campaign' once they had the new pump design....but no, they waited it out and collected approx. $650 for labor and materials for each one that was able to last past an owner's warranty period.

Certainly if they kept putting in original pumps after, say...., late '06 it would meet the definition of a Latent Defect. Overall, Ford engineering produced a quality product. Don't know if the 'business decision' not to replace all the M/E CPs will have an effect on how reliable the market place sees the FEH.

Old 09-12-2009, 04:18 PM

I believe this is the "recall notice" this thread is referring to:

Last edited by Billyk; 09-12-2009 at 04:24 PM.

Quick Reply: "Stop Safely Now"

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands