"Stop Safely Now"

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 07:47 PM
ASE certified autotronics
Default Re: "Stop Safely Now"

i'am using OTC GENESYS 2.0 with 2005 software in, i don't find any more info on how troubleshoot this POA27 code, battery power off circuit code, i'am gona wacht the MECS perfomance, but i think its got to give me a code related to the MECS

Old 04-10-2009, 08:20 PM

with this scantool i can access all the modules from the vehicle,i can get all the DTCS and all it gives me is this ,, PCM CODE P1A10,and battery control module CODE POA27, and i know code from pcm its an information code, and code from the battery module is the one that i'am worry about,, battery off circuit, which part of the circuit is this code related to? the power circuit(cables or hi amp swiching device) or the power off circuit control(the one that controls this hi amp device),,, i dont understand this code pretty good, can your guys help out with this puzzle, because when you get a specific code that tells you the sensor, module or wire you have to work on it is easy right, this is a challenge for me because i have 12 years working on car electronics, and i already worked on a pryus,and i did not have any problems , thank you very much guys

soliman arriaga
sincerly

Old 04-11-2009, 04:38 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by soliman
with this scantool i can access all the modules from the vehicle,i can get all the DTCS and all it gives me is this ,, PCM CODE P1A10,and battery control module CODE POA27, and i know code from pcm its an information code, and code from the battery module is the one that i'am worry about,, battery off circuit, which part of the circuit is this code related to? the power circuit(cables or hi amp swiching device) or the power off circuit control(the one that controls this hi amp device),,, i dont understand this code pretty good, can your guys help out with this puzzle, because when you get a specific code that tells you the sensor, module or wire you have to work on it is easy right, this is a challenge for me because i have 12 years working on car electronics, and i already worked on a pryus,and i did not have any problems , thank you very much guys

soliman arriaga
sincerly
First did the vehicle undergo the Ford Recall in September/October 2007 for the hybrid battery. See if you can get a Carfax report on your vehicle and report back.

Old 04-11-2009, 07:11 AM

Guys,

This is a wiring harness, connector, & ground issue. If you look at Ford's TSBs you see repetitive mention of these kind of problems. One tells a tech to pull the instrument panel and clean up the grounds. Consider the traction battery recall: it was for a connector overly susceptible to corrosion.

Several years ago I forgot to reinstall a ground point in my Suburban in the front part of the engine compartment. When I later turned on the headlights the drivers side light came on at half brightness and the windshield wipers came on, un-commanded. Baffled the h--- out of me for awhile until I happened to look at the wiring near the headlight up there and saw the ground bolt hanging free.

Just because a code is set in the diagnostic software doesn't mean that is the problem. In my Suburban's case the W/S wipers coming on really threw me. But what was going on was that, with the ground point open, the power path went another way that involved the wipers. Once I later pulled the wiring diagram, it made some sense.

These codes are indicators of the wire string the problem went through to be picked up by the software. Use these codes as symptoms of which wire, ground, or plug & connector, are involved and go down that wire and ensure that all is sound & clean along the way.

Dealerships are not set up to do this kind of analysis and so will always go to the trouble code. If the trouble code is no longer present, or if the listed component is not apparently bad, then they can't handle it and you get, appropriately, upset.

This is for the Fordies lurking on this site: Until you guys at HQ start compiling all of these complaints and analyzing the involved wiring cables, connectors, & ground paths you will be chasing your tail (& costing Ford some real cash). Your techs at the dealerships don't have the "tools" to analyze beyond one car at a time. You do. Get on it.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:45 PM

i still getting this two codes from this 2005 FEH , POA27 AND P1A10 , and no other codes,,, and i am already check most of the harrnnes for any ground or conector issue,,is this could be a reprograming issue?,,also i check the mecs performance and i notice some bubles ,guys have you check this ,is this normal? thank you

Old 05-23-2009, 10:46 AM
Enthusiast

I was getting the POA27 in my 06 FEH.. turns out the dealership had to reprogram the body control module. The way they explained it to me was that when the hybrid battery charges and discharges, it creates "spikes" in the power curve. These spikes were going outside of the parameters that the control module had set and causing the error code. It didn't really have any effect on the way the truck drove or charged, or the FE. I was told there was an update that went out a couple of years ago that widened these parameters so these spikes wouldn't set off the SES light. It's been a few days now, and the light hasn't come back on.. hopefully that took care of it!

Old 07-29-2009, 08:16 PM
Enthusiast

I’m hoping you can help me. Our 2005 FEH is sitting in Palm Springs right now (we’re in LA) and needs MAJOR repairs.
We purchased it 6 months ago with about 40k miles on it, and had a couple of “stop safely now” faults I associated with overheating and while in PS another series of them that id’d on the dash as emissions control faults.
Dealer sez it needs:
- “Service Harness”… recall item, no charge
-Entire battery pack – damage could have originated from service harness, no charge
-New AC Pump and 2 new fans for hybrid battery pack – I am told I must pay over $1,100 for these. Dealer referred to tsb’s requiring upgrades on these items. Oh, and they also said they aren’t optional… “the car won’t run without these upgrades”?!?
I realize that the threads that refer to the service harness issue date from quite a while ago. I have also had extensive experience with other makers (VW in particular) who have gladly paid the toll for all TSB items, even including extensive ($3,000+) drivetrain repairs.
To wit… Should I be required to pay for the AC Pump and fans? Wouldn’t they either be covered as a TSB or under the hybrid systems warranty? It seems to me that I wouldn’t have to replace them on a non-hybrid because they WOULDN’T EXIST!?! Grateful for any help/feedback you can provide!

Old 07-31-2009, 04:00 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Red face Re: "Stop Safely Now"

Dances -

Two things might be working against you and trying to get Ford to pay for the battery cooling AC components.
1. You are not the original owner.
2. The TSBs are probably just slight upgrades to the AC hardware and software. Not necessarily changes due to mfg defects in these components. [I don't remember a lot of reports of HVBattery cooling system failure on the '05s (anyone?)] [Let me be more direct, I am assuming your AC components failed for reasons unrelated to the TSB and that when they are replaced they will get "upgrades" mentioned in the TSBs. I don't remember any TSBs that warned of imminent failure if the HVBattery refridgerant loop components.]

And 3. If you are getting a whole new HVBattery and harness, Ford is already laying out 1000s of $$.

Arguments with Ford about the extended Hybrid-specific Warranty covering the parts that actually cool and preserve the expensive HVB, eCVT, and Inverter make a lot of sense - but have not been successful as far as I have heard.

Last edited by glennb; 07-31-2009 at 04:55 AM.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:39 AM

Keep in mind that there is nothing unique about the cooling loop to the battery. It is standard, old A/C. I'm sure Ford won't consider this to be "hybrid" hardware, even if it does service a hybrid component.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:04 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

The fans are integral to the battery pack.
If the battery pack is removed, the fans are removed.
If a new ( or "refurbished" ) battery pack goes in, new fans go in.

It is all one package. While these pieces, in theory, can be replaced separately, it is labor intensive, and IS NOT GENERAL PRACTICE.

Do not pay a cent to replace battery pack internal fans, if that is what they are talking about. I am 100% sure these are covered as part of the hybrid battery pack warranty.

The dash fan, and under hood radiator fans are NOT part of the extended warranty. There is confusion here as to what you are talking about.

HTH,
-John

Quick Reply: "Stop Safely Now"

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands