"Stop Safely Now"

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 05:55 PM
Enthusiast
Default 2008 FEH 69K Stop Safely now

Today, I had the first "Stop Safely Now" and Red Splat while driving down I-75 at 70 MPH. Lost all vehicle power and came to stop on the side of the road. Sadly, I was in center lane and had to coast over with a semi behind me. But all was well despite the stress.

I was able to turn the key off and start the vehicle and all was fine. It is very perplexing, as I don't see many of the previous incidents too similiar to mine. I looked at my scan gauge and it had no codes. I am bummed. My closest dealer had no Hybrid Tech, so I drove it straight to my dealer near home. They got me in a loaner based on my ESP, but won't know anything till tomorrow.

Any suggestions or thoughts are welcome as to where to focus, if they can't find codes?

Old 08-20-2009, 06:20 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Red face Re: 2008 FEH 69K Stop Safely now

Originally Posted by Snoopyto
Any suggestions or thoughts are welcome as to where to focus, if they can't find codes?
They will find some codes. Ask them to get you a written copy - let us know what they are when they do.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:17 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: "Stop Safely Now"

If it only happened once, and the key off-on cycle ( system reboot ) got you back to driving normally, I would NOT waste my time going to a dealer at all.

Most people see this once or twice ( Incl. myself ) and it's generally, no big deal.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:39 PM
No longer an Enthusiast.

I've seen the "Stop Safely Now" message. Although.... my situation was a bit different. I experienced a catastrophic engine failure. A new engine seems to have fixed the warning message.

Old 08-22-2009, 01:36 AM
Enthusiast

The dealer called me at 8:30 Friday Morning. They diagnosed it as M/E Coolant Pump failure. The Advisor said it threw codes and there was an applicable TSB on it as well. I have yet to go get the codes, but the computer has no printer, so they are only getting written down. I never did hear back from them as to if ESP or Hybrid warranty will apply. I fully expect the later to be applied.

Old 08-22-2009, 05:23 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

There are three specific components that are covered by the Hybrid warranty: Battery Pack (everything inside the aluminum case in the trunk), the DC-DC converter (located under the hood near the passenger side strut tower) and the eCVT (attached to the ICE, drivers side). If it's not one of those three items, it's not covered by the hybrid warranty!

I believe your ESP should cover this though.

Old 08-22-2009, 05:47 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Red face Re: "Stop Safely Now"

M/E Coolant Pump diagnosis is done with a combination of codes and a visual inspection of the fluid during pumping. [There is no specific code for the failure mode exhibited by the pump - just high temp related shut down codes, etc.] Don't know the ESPs very well but if your ESP covered a loaner I would think it should cover the ($650) pump replacement (less deductible ?)

Old 08-22-2009, 07:34 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Based on the posts on the M/E pump I replaced mine at about 52K miles. No symptoms of failure or impending failure, just GP and the info I found on this website that told me to watch for failure at around 50k miles.

It's a piece of cake to do. One plug, two bolts, & two hoses to detach (OK, I've never liked working with hoses that contain anti-freeze, but it was easy). It was a fifteen minute job, although I was doing it for the first time so it took me a half an hour... You do have to reroute the wiring plug a tad (ie up & over a hose to reach the new motor location which ends up about 6 inches to the right of the old one - but no sweat, there's enough wire).

Good price from a Ford dealer in Nevada: about $165 plus shipping or about $190 in toto. It is a much smaller motor & pump assembly.

Note that the new pump appears to run continuously and makes a little noise when the engine is off, but not objectionable at all.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:55 AM
Enthusiast

Seeing as I have not heard from dealer, I am sure they got it covered under either or. They had to order the part in. So it will be Monday at the earliest. But with a $100 deductable and having the dealership do the maintenance while it is there.

I probably need to bring up the issue of the reversed tempature issue with the vehicle. Turn down driver side cooler than the passenger, it will blow cold on passenger. I had forgotten about that.

I still have reservations for taking my vehicle to my dealer near work. Been letting them do my oil changes, and they recommended a Transmission flush. My confidence is so much inspired in them.

Old 09-10-2009, 02:04 PM
Enthusiast

Folks-

Thanks very much for this thread!

Two days ago, my wife was driving the kids home from school when the error was thrown and the car went coasting to a stop. She was traveling at about 20 mph on our neighborhood residential streets.

We bought it as a 1 year used 2006 FEH in 2007 and evidently someplace along the line, the recall letter was allegedly sent out and we missed it. Only from digging through this and other threads, plunking down the fees for the diagnostic tests, and multiple calls to the sales dealership, service dealership, and Ford corporate customer service, have I found out that the recall expired 16 days ago!

I've just started the battle/process of getting Ford to honor the recall of the Service Harness. Any suggestions?

Quick Reply: "Stop Safely Now"

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands