Scan Guage Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 07:52 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Scan Guage Install

My OBD plug is right behind the Emergency Brake Release. I'd like to mount the Scan Guage on the steering wheel fairing right in front of me. Any tips on snaking the wire and bundling the excess?

Thanks,
John Dixson

Old 01-11-2008, 10:12 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Scan Guage Install

Originally Posted by Johndixs
My OBD plug is right behind the Emergency Brake Release. I'd like to mount the Scan Guage on the steering wheel fairing right in front of me. Any tips on snaking the wire and bundling the excess?

Thanks,
John Dixson
I put mine in the position I wanted (slightly to the right of the steering wheel fairing) and than ran the cord straight back. I was able to squeeze it into the crack between the dash and the windsheild. I then ran it along the side of the A pillar to go between the rubber door gasket and the dash. I bundled the excess with a twisty and tucked it up under the dash. You can't see any cord with the way I did it, but it's still easy to pull out if I want to do something different with the scangauge.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:40 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks, Kristian. I was hoping that it was possible to thread the lead thru the flexible/floppy black rubber seal that surrounds the steering wheel shaft and fairing assembly as it adjusts vertically. It is very difficult to get one's head and hands into position to do anything where you can see what is going on!

Old 01-11-2008, 12:17 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

This is how I originally had mine installed & it worked great:

http://www.pbase.com/jmorton10/image/79877382

I now have two of them right next to each other in the same location & the cords do not show at all.

I use one for proprietary hybrid functions & the other for trip-meter type stuff.

~John

Old 01-12-2008, 08:03 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

I like having mine on top the dash, far left, touching the windshield pilar. The wire goes inside the back rubber at the door jam, and then quite easily inside the dash. Cords are invisible. Here, it is in my line of sight, and I can pretty much watch the road and the SG at the same time. ( just a change of focus on the 'ol eyballs )
-John

Old 01-12-2008, 05:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

JMorton, I have a 2008, so the instrument panel is slightly different, but having spent 1962-2005 in a cockpit, I tend toward having things in front of me, as in your installation. Looking at your picture, I am thinking of mounting the SGII a bit toward the driver position, on top of that fairing that covers the steering wheel shaft. With my normal seat height, that will enable me to see the SGII AND all of the information on the instrument cluster. Now I just have to confirm that I can get the wire from the back of the SGII, by the rubber flap around the steering wheel shaft, behind the instrument panel, and then loop it around to the connection port. Thanks for the tip.