HV Battery Jump

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2022, 02:40 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: HV Battery Jump

Originally Posted by lswift

Forscan reading after clearing codes
The 12V battery is good (new from dealer) and IC module shows two keys programmed.
I asked if you have more than one key, not what's been programmed. Do you have two programmed keys in your actual possession?
Check here for PATS relearn procedures:
linl

Old 08-23-2022, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by lswift
Thanks for quick feedback. I read 0 Volts on my two leads for charging HV battery until I put in the safety plug at which point I read 314V so fuse must be okay. I'll look for rodent nibbles since that is a problem that I have had. I also think there might be a problem with communication between PATS and PCM since Forscan shows "No PCM ID known to PATS". Any thoughts? I guess there's no need to charge HV battery. Note also, that the interlock relay does not "click" when I turn on ignition like it does in my ofther FEHs.
Fuses aren't just open or intact. They can fail progressively. Measure resistance across the plug terminals.

Old 08-24-2022, 03:57 AM
FEH owner

Thanks to Gator and S Keith for your help with my problem. I do have two functioning keys in my possession and will look into the PATS relearn procedure. I will also check resistance across plug terminals.

Old 08-24-2022, 05:31 PM
FEH owner

Thanks for your suggestions. I got no resistance across the fuse in the orange Safety Lock and I substituted a known good one just to double check. I tried to reprogram PATS but found that my Extended license had expired. Will get extended license and try again. Meantime, it seems like I'm leaving the HV battery jumpstart thread. Do you know of threads that address the PATS programing issue?

Old 08-29-2022, 12:59 PM
Enthusiast

Sweet Baby Jesus, it worked! A huge thank you S Keith and other Escape owners who have worked thru this problem and posted their pics and documented their experience. Great photos and descriptive and thorough instructions helped me successfully build the charger and get my 2009 FEH back up and running. This problem has cost me $700 in the past to have my local hybrid shop essentially do the same thing for less than $100 in parts/tools and a few hours of my time. The only bonus was that the shop did not but back in the bolts/screws to the side of the HV battery cover when they serviced it last, so it made removal that much quicker. I will post pics of the charger I built for reference.

One question, can anyone point me to a link for a compatible Forscan adaptor for windows or android on Amazon? I would like to try the battery rebalance feature but the adaptor I purchased does not seem to see my Escape consistently and I can't seem to initiate the battery rebalance function when I can get the program to see my vehicle. I can't seem to let my 2009 FEH sit for more than two weeks without starting to charge the EV battery. Hoping the rebalance feature will improve that.

Once again, thank you for this work around! I love this vehicle, but this is a serious and costly design flaw not having a way to charge the EV battery (other than by the engine/regen braking) once these vehicle are have hit their 15 year mark. Not sure why they took out the 12V trickle charge/jump start option that were on the 2008 and prior models... :/

Last edited by mauimatty; 09-08-2022 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Add photo
Old 08-29-2022, 01:23 PM

several listed on Forscan:

https://forscan.org/home.html

Old 08-29-2022, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by mauimatty
Sweet Baby Jesus, it worked! A huge thank you S Keith and other Escape owners who have worked thru this problem and posted their pics and documented their experience. Great photos and descriptive and thorough instructions helped me successfully build the charger and get my 2009 FEH back up and running. This problem has cost me $700 in the past to have my local hybrid shop essentially do the same thing for less than $100 in parts/tools and a few hours of my time. The only bonus was that the shop did not but back in the bolts/screws to the side of the HV battery cover when they serviced it last, so it made removal that much quicker. I will post pics of the charger I built for reference.

One question, can anyone point me to a link for a compatible Forscan adaptor for windows or android on Amazon? I would like to try the battery rebalance feature but the adaptor I purchased does not seem to see my Escape consistently and I can't seem to initiate the battery rebalance function when I can get the program to see my vehicle. I can't seem to let my 2009 FEH sit for more than two weeks without starting to charge the EV battery. Hoping the rebalance feature will improve that.

Once again, thank you for this work around! I love this vehicle, but this is a serious and costly design flaw not having a way to charge the EV battery (other than by the engine/regen braking) once these vehicle are have hit their 15 year mark. Not sure why they took out the 12V trickle charge/jump start option that were on the 2008 and prior models... :/
  • Supported adapters :
  • OBDLink EX USB, recommended USB adapter for Windows version of FORScan, also for configuration and programming functions
  • OBDLink MX+ BT, recommended Bluetooth adapter for Lite versions of FORScan (iOS, Android)
  • vLinker FS USB vLinker FS USB
    , recommended USB adapter for Windows version of FORScan, also for configuration and programming functions
  • vLinker FD BT vLinker FD BT
    , recommended Bluetooth adapter for FORScan Lite for Android
  • OBDLink SX/LX/MX
  • ELS27 (STN1170/2120)
  • ELM327-compatible (fully compatible with original ELM327, please also see important note below)
  • J2534 Pass-Thru

Old 09-13-2022, 07:29 AM
FEH owner

I still cannot get my 2010 FEH running! Here is a Forscan screen shot of Codes.

Forscan shot of a functioning 2010 FEH. Note top two parameters (PCM ID stored and PCM verified)

Forscan shot of my 2010 FEH that won't start. PCM ID is not stored and not verified.

I've been working on this problem off and on and while this is probably not a battery problem, I have found the the best information on Escape Hybrids in general in this Forum I wonder if anyone knows how to get the PATS module to store the PCM ID? Things I've tried: 1. Erase and reprogram the two working OEM keys - successful
2. Attempt to initialize PATS module - unsuccessful
3. Attempt procedure for replacing PCM or PATS module - unsuccessful
Also, Forscan shows the pids related to PATS to be in the IC (instrument cluster module). Does anyone know if there is actually a PATS module that can be replaced or if the instrument cluster would have to be replaced when there a problem with the module. I'm looking at possibility having the PCM reprogrammed ($200) and either replacing or reprogramming IC module. Appreciate comments if anyone has experience with this.

Old 10-02-2022, 04:03 PM
Enthusiast

2009 FEH owner here. I've been over this thread a few times in the past couple of years, and it's finally come to the point I needed it— I left it sitting for 2 weeks needing to replace a brake caliper, and now it won't start; low voltage on the traction battery. While I'm waiting for the power supply and XT-60 connectors to arrive, I'd like to go ahead and get as much built as I can.

Specifically, for the battery harness, does anyone remember what size the relay terminal screws are, or what size ring terminals to use? I've searched repeatedly but can't find any info.

Edit: I ended up just waiting for everything to arrive and assembled the harness after opening up the battery. Charged for 4 hours and it started like a charm. The SOC of modules ranged from 20% to 80%, and I let it run for over an hour and it got to a range of 50%-95%, but it was up to 118º max temp, so I shut it off. I'll run the rebalance command tomorrow to see if it can even up the modules a bit.

Thanks everyone in this thread who has contributed knowledge. Amazing resource for us poor '09 FEH owners. And shame on Ford for removing the emergency charging circuit.

Last edited by cornbreadcolonel; 10-10-2022 at 06:51 PM. Reason: update
Old 10-15-2022, 05:59 AM
HCD
Enthusiast

Hi I was wondering if you can tell me does the orange switch/round plug need to be installed in the locked run position while charging the HV Battery?

Quick Reply: HV Battery Jump

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands