HV Battery Jump

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2022, 02:06 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: HV Battery Jump

Snap aww man, there goes my plans of a cheap 2nd gen escape... I appreciate the quick answer guys thanks.

Old 12-30-2022, 02:28 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ricmigl
Snap aww man, there goes my plans of a cheap 2nd gen escape... I appreciate the quick answer guys thanks.
Following the instructions in this thread, less than $100 and 2 hours of work will get you there.

Old 12-30-2022, 03:02 PM

UPDATE:

Revised the original post to include information for alternate means of connecting to the power supply:

There's an easier way to connect to the main terminals of the battery. This was brought to me by a customer through his own research of other resources. It's also possible this has been mentioned on this site, and I've simply forgotten.

With certainty, on the 2009 and 2010 (probably on 2011 and 2012), there are "vestigial" jump start connectors that can be used to connect your charger.

Inside this:

are these connectors:

There is only 1 wire in these 12-16P connectors (can't remember how many pins), and one is the main (-), black, and the other is the main (+), gray. They are always hot if the safety plug is installed across the contacts in the RUN or UNLOCK position. The only way to de-energize them is to remove the safety plug from the contacts. They are the only wire in the two orange shrouded wires that route towards the front of the pack on this side.

You can install your entire "jump starter" in this location. Did this on Tuesday with a 1000V/1A diode on the (+) and a 2A fuse on the AC input and ran the short AC cord out of the case near the lifting strap secured with a grommet, and ran it forward to the rear seat. Simply plug in to an extension cord, and you're charging.

Old 12-30-2022, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by S Keith
UPDATE:

Revised the original post to include information for alternate means of connecting to the power supply:

There's an easier way to connect to the main terminals of the battery. This was brought to me by a customer through his own research of other resources. It's also possible this has been mentioned on this site, and I've simply forgotten.

With certainty, on the 2009 and 2010 (probably on 2011 and 2012), there are "vestigial" jump start connectors that can be used to connect your charger.

Inside this:

are these connectors:

There is only 1 wire in these 12-16P connectors (can't remember how many pins), and one is the main (-), black, and the other is the main (+), gray. They are always hot if the safety plug is installed across the contacts in the RUN or UNLOCK position. The only way to de-energize them is to remove the safety plug from the contacts. They are the only wire in the two orange shrouded wires that route towards the front of the pack on this side.

You can install your entire "jump starter" in this location. Did this on Tuesday with a 1000V/1A diode on the (+) and a 2A fuse on the AC input and ran the short AC cord out of the case near the lifting strap secured with a grommet, and ran it forward to the rear seat. Simply plug in to an extension cord, and you're charging.
Much easier, thank you. Will this setup cause any electrical interference issues? If you'll recall, I had a persistent code until I rerouted my jumper cable.

Old 12-30-2022, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by GatorJ
Much easier, thank you. Will this setup cause any electrical interference issues? If you'll recall, I had a persistent code until I rerouted my jumper cable.
It didn't produce any on this 2007 with a 2010 battery in it. Since the wire routing is the same as the OEM jump starter, I can't see how it would either.

Old 01-08-2023, 08:08 AM
Enthusiast

So question here having just acquired a HV battery pack relatively cheap if it where to not work would i be able to salvage the internal jump starter and incorporate it into a 2009 manufacturer battery with out having to cut wires or solder anything?

It was mentioned that the vestigial remains of the jumper wiring from the 05-08 is still intact. Would i in theory just need to jam that component inside and plug and play and be able to jump charge it using the 05-08 jumping method.inside the vehicle?

Old 01-08-2023, 11:37 AM

Unknown. The 09 computer is different from the 08, which is different from the 05-07.

There is no jump button in the 09, so you would have to find a means of triggering it.

Old 01-08-2023, 03:40 PM
Enthusiast

oOoOO, nice then i will tinker around and report my findings 😁

Old 01-16-2023, 01:46 PM
Enthusiast

I inherited an '08 from my mother-in-law and have been driving it for a couple years now
the mileage seems pretty low relative to what she was getting earlier in its life. the car will not start without jump procedure if its been sitting for more than 3 days. I ran the re-balance on forscan and it seems a little better, but i'm not sure if it improved.
i drive it to work 5 miles away Monday-Friday. is this too short of trips to keep this car? do you suggest trying to recondition with the charger install? have you seen this help before? 181,000 miles on original battery.

Old 01-16-2023, 01:58 PM

5 miles one way is pretty marginal. You can't expect good mileage. My kids drive their Prii 5-6 miles on school days, and their mileage is 20% lower than mine. Short trips are murder on mileage.

Your battery health doesn't help either.

The days you need the jump starter, check the DEL_MOD_V value.

Quick Reply: HV Battery Jump

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands