Escape Hybrid Nav System Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 12:45 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Escape Hybrid Nav System Problems?

Originally Posted by rcomeau
I'm sure someone must have looked into it alreaady, but this constant rebooting almost seems like a power problem. Has one of the mechanics ckecked the quality of the power? Something as simple as a loose cable or a low voltage could result in the symptoms you are seeing.
Yep, they've looked into power issues, connections, electrical juice, signal, etc. Everything checks out. We decided we have a ghost. We've even named him Dennis. It's the only explanation that makes sense!

Old 04-06-2007, 01:30 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wvujeb
They wouldn't need to update the map CDs. It would be nice if they would, but I would doubt that they would take that approach.
The CD are way, way out of date around here. The roads have changed, a lot, since 2005. Especially since they re-numbered the exits.

GM gives all of its Nav system customers 3 sets of Map disks. One current set when they buy the vehicle. A second set after 1 year. And a third set after 2 years. All for free.

Old 04-06-2007, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by WaltPA
The CD are way, way out of date around here. The roads have changed, a lot, since 2005. Especially since they re-numbered the exits.

GM gives all of its Nav system customers 3 sets of Map disks. One current set when they buy the vehicle. A second set after 1 year. And a third set after 2 years. All for free.
And that explains why GM is doing so much worse than For...d... Oh wait a sec... Hmmmm

Old 04-07-2007, 06:24 AM
Active Enthusiast

I know that the roads have changed a lot, especially in PA since they decided to join the crowd and renumber their exits, but I was saying that Ford wouldn't need to send out new map CDs just because they updated the firmware. Like I said, it would be nice, but I doubt that they do it.

Old 04-07-2007, 06:41 AM
Active Enthusiast

You can call me lazy for not checking myself, but do they even sell updated CDs?

Roch

Old 04-07-2007, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by rcomeau
You can call me lazy for not checking myself, but do they even sell updated CDs?

Roch

No, they don't. I doubt they ever will either since they have stopped using that outdated POS.

~John

Old 04-07-2007, 12:57 PM
Active Enthusiast

John,

Do you know what the differences are between the avn5500 and the avn5510? Seems like the graphics look a bit better on the newer version and the screen is bigger, but I wonder if that would mean install problems...

Old 04-07-2007, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by mikesus
John,

Do you know what the differences are between the avn5500 and the avn5510? Seems like the graphics look a bit better on the newer version and the screen is bigger, but I wonder if that would mean install problems...
The screen is 1/2" bigger, but that doesn't really change much. I think the graphics are pretty much the same(which isn't a bad thing, the graphics in mine are fine). If you want really pretty graphics, the Pioneer Z1 will give you that, but I had a Z1 & the NAV function in it was so poor that I sold it & replaced it with the Eclipse(the Eclipse NAV function is superb).

One difference I see is the 5510 is Blue-tooth compatible if that's important to you. I use a Blue-tooth headset while driving anyway, so that's not something I really care about.

I considered the 5510 when I bought mine, but I got the 5500 for over $400 less than the 5510 & they're basically the same unit.

~John

Old 04-08-2007, 10:32 AM
Active Enthusiast

Well I think I found a few more differences finally. There are more POI's, the Ipod interface is more like the 6600, and the graphics are better. Seeing that I plan on using the Ipod interface, I am going to opt for the 5510.

I think I might be the first one to do this for a MMH, so once its done, I will post pics... I did notice that the front bezel is definately different between the 2 vehicles...

Old 04-08-2007, 11:26 AM

Post some pics after you get it installed.

In case you are anyone you know is interested, I just found out a co-worker of mine has a two month old Eclipse 5500(same unit as mine)for sale cheap.

I guess he bought a new Acura RL that came with factory NAV & he took the 5500 out of his trade-in. The Acura NAV is superb, so he will not be using the Eclipse & will sell it at a great price.

~John