Nav System Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 09:55 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Nav System Problems

As you all probably know, the nav system on the FEH is prone to locking up at random inopportune times. Mine did again this weekend, and as I had some time, and was near a dealer, I stopped by to show it to someone. Of course the service department was closed, but I drug a sales person out to show them, and then got their card so I could tell the service people who looked at it.

So yesterday I had my truck in for it's oil change, and so they could look at the gps. I have the truck back, and they have ordered me a new nav system. They said that in diagnosing the system, a module indicated a failure. Unfortunately I have no more or better details than that.

The other interesting thing is that they called me today, and told me the Nav unit was backordered. Does that mean they are having to replace a lot of them? Or enought to deplete stock?

I wrote down all the version information from my current unit, and will be interested to compare it to the new one. I'll post them if they are different.

Since I'm probably not the only one who has seen this, I figured I would mention it.

Old 05-26-2006, 03:30 PM
Prof. of Hybridology
Default Re: Nav System Problems

My Nav system doesn't seem to have any problems like that.

I would guess that supply is limited due to it's nature, just like how oil filters were hard to come by, that excess FEH parts are rather limited.

Old 05-26-2006, 06:11 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

There was a documented problem with the CD-Rom's. Just the discs, and many, many 2005 owners got new & improved discs and that solved the problem.

Was this ever a topic of conversation? Only the 2005's, and probably the first half of the 2005 MY was affected.

-John

Old 05-27-2006, 06:23 AM
Active Enthusiast

I did get the updated CDs, but still had the problem where it would lock up at random times. It is possible that mine had the problem because it was so early in the production.

Whatever the cause, I'll be glad to have that fixed!

Old 05-27-2006, 06:04 PM
Enthusiast

There is a software update to the navigation unit. You can get it from the dealer for free, I posted a TSB for it before, search around and print it out. Ford replaced many navigation units but more than 50% of those units are end up in perfect working condition, just a software bug, so I guess they are going to fix those returned units and sell them as refurbished.

Old 05-28-2006, 09:03 AM
Active Enthusiast

I have a printed copy of the TSB you posted in my truck (much appreciated), and was going to pull it out if they said it was fine. I wanted them to look at it before I said anything. I would expect them to know if a software upgrade would fix the problem, or at least I would expect it to be in the diagnosis instructions.

Not sure what they'll do with the unit, but I'd love to keep it to tinker with.

Old 06-18-2006, 05:57 PM
ck8
Enthusiast

I am resurecting this thread because I have been having issues with my '06 FEH Nav system. I took delivery on March 22 and had no issues with the Nav system until yesterday. I have noticed that when I start the vehicle, I will be in the red for signal quality for several minutes even though there is no reason for this as I am in the open. The other day I was getting on the interstate and it thought that I was on a road to the left of the insterstate so it kept directing me based on these directions. I then entered the HOV lane and eventually the Nav caught up but it wanted me to get back on the regular interstate. When I got back on I noticed it frequently went to the "calculating a new route" screen everytime I passed an exit it because it was wanting me to turn around. I exited at the correct exit and it thought that I was further up the interstate so it was wanting me to exit and turn around. I then proceeded to the street and it told me that I had passed it and to make a u-turn even though I was turning on to the street. It then went in to off road condition even though I was on the correct road. I gave up and turned it off because I knew where I was going. Today, it was doing the same thing. It seems like at times I am off by 40 yards so exits come up on the nav screen before I am really at it. Also, about every 3 minutes it was going into the calculating route screen even though I was on the course. When I was driving back tonight, I was on the right exit but it thought that I was still on the freeway. I have had no actual lock ups where the system quits responding and am unsure what to do. It worked fine until now and I have these problems even when the nav is in green or white status. Any one have any suggestions?

Old 06-18-2006, 09:34 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

My observation has been that the system doesn't seem to have a good GPS receiver. I have the trouble you are describing when there is heavy overcast or rain.

sometimes turning the system off and then back on will help. Its almost like if it doesn't get a good fix to start with... it can take it a LOOOONG time to figure out and correct itself...

I don't think there is anything "wrong" with it other than the fact that its just a poor GPS receiver... I wonder where the darn antena is for it. I woudln't think it used the radio antenna cause that is the wrong configuration for GPS signals entirely... but then again that would explain alot wouldn't it.

Anyway thats my opinion.... I don't seem to have the lockup problem others have described.

Old 06-19-2006, 05:15 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TeeSter
I don't think there is anything "wrong" with it other than the fact that its just a poor GPS receiver... I wonder where the darn antena is for it. I woudln't think it used the radio antenna cause that is the wrong configuration for GPS signals entirely... but then again that would explain alot wouldn't it.
The antenna is on the dash directly in front of the unit. You can see a little rectangular patch up by the window.

As my unit was just replaced, I will look up the nav software version, and let you know. it is possible there is a fix.

The other thing I noticed with my old one is that when zoomed all the way in it would think I was off track fairly often. I zoomed out a couple of settings, and now it works much better.

Edit: The current nav system version is 5.1.5.0. My former one was 5.1.2.0.

Last edited by salsbr; 06-19-2006 at 06:50 AM.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:30 AM
ck8
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by salsbr
The antenna is on the dash directly in front of the unit. You can see a little rectangular patch up by the window.

As my unit was just replaced, I will look up the nav software version, and let you know. it is possible there is a fix.

The other thing I noticed with my old one is that when zoomed all the way in it would think I was off track fairly often. I zoomed out a couple of settings, and now it works much better.

Edit: The current nav system version is 5.1.5.0. My former one was 5.1.2.0.
I am going to sked a service appointment. Since It had been working fine for 3 months and then all of a sudden not, I suspect that it is a defect or something. Very frustrating as in this state, the Nav system is more of a harm than a help. I will check my SW and Firmware version also.