100 MPG Segment in my FEH

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 09:40 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default 100 MPG Segment in my FEH

Sunday, Father's Day, I got stuck in a monster traffic jam in the Denver Area.
Traffic was at a crawl... but temps were pleasant enough ( 80's ) that A/C off was okay with all 4 windows down.

After 0.8 hours and 10.3 miles on the aftermarket "ScanGauge" I had 100 MPG! since leaving the resturant! ( the ScanGauge automatically resets the current trip for you, but also saves the old and cummulative data )

Sure.... my average speed for an hour was 11 MPH! ( also on ScanGauge) But as all the cars and trucks around me were burning fuel at a stand-still... mine was not!
My FEH would run the ICE for about 20 seconds, every 4 minutes.... and I would leave a lot of space ( 7-8 car-lengths ) so I was able to move 20-25 MPH during those 20 seconds to "catch-up" and getting 40+ MPGI for those 20 seconds.... then 9999 MPG ( on ScanGauge ) for the next 4 minutes!

I was thinking this would be such a Godsend during a hurricane evacuation or other emergency were traffic snarls.

A few minutes before I maxed out at 100 MPG even ( you loose the decimal point after 99.9 ) a Honda Insight crawled up beside me... also with windows down... also in stealth. Since I was 3 feet from the passenger in the Insight I said "Don't you just love saving gas?" She said jokingly that her MPG display was reading negative....putting gas back in.... acknowledging the slow, but ideal conditions.

I said "Yeah... I'm getting over 80 MPG right now!" She said "I'm at 125 MPG."
( does the Insight read that high ( Wayne? ) or did she have a SG too? )
"Yeah... but I weigh over 2 tons!" ( with passengers )

Anyhow... I built up a such a great 'buffer' in that traffic jam, that at the end of my 87.1 mile route home... at speeds as high as 78 MPH ( downhill sections only! ) my net was still 51.1 MPG over those 87 miles.... the last 55 at highway speeds.

Just hope you find that story both amusing and inspirational. This vehicle never ceases to surprise me.

Take Care, and happy motoring!
-John

Last edited by gpsman1; 06-19-2006 at 10:03 PM. Reason: spelling