Escape Hybrid Nav System Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 05:48 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Escape Hybrid Nav System Problems?

Originally Posted by bratton1
Ford's corporate service dept told him to order two more sets of CDs to see if the problem happens with them too. We'll see!
Are these "new" sets of map CD, or still the very obsolete ones from way back in 2005?

Last edited by WaltPA; 04-06-2007 at 05:59 AM. Reason: fixing typo :(
Old 04-06-2007, 05:56 AM

Personally, beyond the obsolete 2005 Map disks, I think the problem is that Ford left a LOT of bugs in the Hybrid's version of this Nav system.

If anyone is interested, download and read the User Manual for the original European Version of our Nav system from here. In particular, look at the chapter on the Integrated Phone, which was "ripped" out of our firmware. What bugs did they introduce by doing that?

Plus, I know that my Nav system has become "confused" on long trips which cross from one map CD to another. That certainly is a firmware bug.

I doubt that Ford would replace our vehicles with 2008 models because of this, but I really think if we ALL complained, we could at least get Ford to correct and update the Firmware used in our Nav systems, and issue all of us a current (2007) set of Map CD's.

Old 04-06-2007, 07:21 AM
Active Enthusiast

I am in the same boat. The thing is a POS. I am trying to figure out what to replace it with, either the Z1 or the Eclipse. I don't expect Ford to do the right thing...

To make things worse, the wife got a new Civic Hybrid with Nav, and our Civic Hybrid Nav system has really just made me more annoyed with the one in the Mariner...

Old 04-06-2007, 08:51 AM
Active Enthusiast

The nav system is one of the main reasons that I waited to see what the '08s were like. After I saw that the nav system was upgraded and I liked many of the other changes, I was dead set on waiting until the '08 came out.

To update the firmware, it might take a substantial effort depending on if the current software is still being used elsewhere or how similar the current software is to the old. They wouldn't need to update the map CDs. It would be nice if they would, but I would doubt that they would take that approach.

Old 04-06-2007, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by mikesus
I am in the same boat. The thing is a POS. I am trying to figure out what to replace it with, either the Z1 or the Eclipse.

I can help you out there, I have owned both units. I had a Pioneer Z1 for a while, the features of it are real nice but the NAV function is terrible(the Pioneer unit was totally incapable of plotting an intelligent route from point A to point B). The Pioneer message boards are FULL of similar complaints about the NAV functions. I have a $300 Garmin NAV unit on my Harley that works FAR better than the Z1.......

I ended up selling the Z1 & replacing it with an Eclipse 5500 which is superb. The Eclipse NAV function is night & day better than the Pioneer.

My 06 FEH came with factory NAV, but I dumped that piece of junk one week after I got the truck..........

~John

Old 04-06-2007, 11:09 AM

We need wiring diagrams and photos of the 2008 Hybrid/Nav system to see if they might be plug and play with the earlier Hybrids.

Old 04-06-2007, 11:46 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jmorton10

I ended up selling the Z1 & replacing it with an Eclipse 5500 which is superb. The Eclipse NAV function is night & day better than the Pioneer.

~John
Good to know - thanks John! We may end up replacing it on our own if Ford doesn't cooperate.

We now wish we had waited for the 2008, obviously. Nicer styling, better Nav System - even the cupholders are placed more conveniently! Should have listened to my mom...

Old 04-06-2007, 11:50 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WaltPA
Are these "new" sets of map CD, or still the very obsolete ones from way back in 2005?
I just looked at the CDs - they are white with blue lettering, version 3V - 2005. This is the second set they've given me (I believe the first ones were green rather than blue). I'll let you know which ones they give me when the two new sets arrive.

Lyn

Old 04-06-2007, 12:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hi folks -

I purchased a 2007 FEH with the Audiophile Navigation System and have had problems with it since day 1. It turns itself off intermittently and reboots - but the radio never shuts down. We have had the system replaced in its entirety twice, replaced two receivers, the antenna and the CD set. Nothing seems to work - and we're squarely in CA Lemon Law territory now (5 different work orders, 12 trips to the dealership, almost 30 days without the car since the end of August). The car itself is great, but the system cutting out intermittently is frustrating and distracting, to say the least, and I can't rely on it when driving - which is the reason I bought it in the first place!

Has anyone else ever had the problem? If so, how was it fixed? Ford Corporate is trying to repair the problem but has said that they won't replace the vehicle because the Nav System is considered a "Luxury Item." Please let me know what your experience has been - thanks!
I'm sure someone must have looked into it alreaady, but this constant rebooting almost seems like a power problem. Has one of the mechanics ckecked the quality of the power? Something as simple as a loose cable or a low voltage could result in the symptoms you are seeing. They should put the power input on an oscilloscope or something to check it out.

I don't like the nav system either. Some day I'll replace it with a Mac mini and program my own Hybrid display and figure out a way to have Google maps live...

Cheers,

rcomeau

Old 04-06-2007, 12:34 PM

We now wish we had waited for the 2008, obviously. Nicer styling, better Nav System - even the cupholders are placed more conveniently!
I agree except for the styling, maybe I just have to get used to it but I don't really like the styling changes myself....

~John

Quick Reply: Escape Hybrid Nav System Problems?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands