electronic stability control

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 09:08 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: electronic stability control

Originally Posted by highlanderhybrid
Battery would have nothing to do with it because the Highlander Hybrid has a bunch of safety features and still gets 33 MPG

Hey there:
The database on this site doesn't support that number. There's one entry in the 2wd database that is over 33mpg, but no updates since the single entry.

The Escape 4wd database has a similiar single entry that has the mpg at over 43. I certainly wouldn't use that figure for the typical 4wd Escape though.

Take Care,

Steve
Oregon

Old 02-10-2007, 01:21 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Was at another dealer today and asked about the lack of electronic stability feature found in the hybrid models. Sales person could not answer the question and did not believe they could get an answer from Ford directly. Does anyone have inside knowledge on why electronic stability is not offerred on the hybrid Escape?

I have found that most salespersons are not too knowledgeable on the hybrid versions. Most are asking why the spend the extra money for the hybrid instead of non-hybrid models.

Old 02-10-2007, 02:11 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Billyk
Was at another dealer today and asked about the lack of electronic stability feature found in the hybrid models. Sales person could not answer the question and did not believe they could get an answer from Ford directly. Does anyone have inside knowledge on why electronic stability is not offerred on the hybrid Escape?

I have found that most salespersons are not too knowledgeable on the hybrid versions. Most are asking why the spend the extra money for the hybrid instead of non-hybrid models.

Maybe you outta let Ford know. I don't think you're going to get folks that already own the FEH or MMH all hot and bothered the new models don't have it. We aren't looking to buy one! Know what I mean? It is a good thread though Billyk.

Personally I could careless and would avoid it if I had a choice. (Learned to drive in VW's, learned how to not roll.) But I generally don't like all the bells and whistles cars have anyway. The HyHi has it and folks are getting stuck in 4" of snow because the software won't let them move. Now that sounds dangerous!

The FEH has a nice tight ride with great roadfeel and feedback. It has IRS, ABS, and has very predictable manners. All ya gotta do is use some common sense, eh?

Take Care,
Steve
Oregon

Old 02-10-2007, 02:33 PM

Why do I wish for electronic stability control? I enjoy outdoor recreational activities including nordic skiing. This means traveling during the winter in snow, slush, ice and possible black ice conditions. I grew up where winter conditions existed for 2-3 months and learned the possible dangers one can encounter on the roads. I want this safety feature if I am going to spend the money the Escape hybrid demands.

Old 02-10-2007, 03:37 PM

I personally suspect that last one has to do with dealer markup. I've already read that the hybrid system costs MORE to install then the markup on the sticker shows for it. My guess is that Ford (in its infinite wisdom) has taken the difference and splits it with the dealer. ie part of that loss comes from ford the other part is taken out of the dealers markup.

So... if thats the case. The dealer has a vested interest in steering you toward a V6 escape where he/she gets a few hundred dollars more in profit.

I have nothing to confirm this... but its a deeply held suspicion.

Old 02-10-2007, 03:48 PM
Active Enthusiast

Why do I wish for electronic stability control? I enjoy outdoor recreational activities including nordic skiing. This means traveling during the winter in snow, slush, ice and possible black ice conditions. I grew up where winter conditions existed for 2-3 months and learned the possible dangers one can encounter on the roads. I want this safety feature if I am going to spend the money the Escape hybrid demands.
Hi Billyk:

I didn't ask why and it's really not any of my business either. I grew up in Wyoming, which snowed in July more often than not!

I guess you're just gonna have to deal with it. Either quit harping and get one. Or wait untill it has your feature. Or get something else. That's about all your choices. Your obsessing man, and hassling "yet another dealer" over something you, I, them have NO control!! I was like that too, (well not that bad) and I had to get a grip. Make a descision and move on.

I whinned about the TPMS, the electric door locks, the electric windows, the electric mirrors, the keyless entry, the automatic door locks, seat belt alarms, and on and on. Heck, ya can't even open the rear door or window with a key! That's lame!! I absolutely resent paying for all of that useless fluffy junk!!

But it didn't do any good. No matter how much I whinned Ford wasn't gonna make me a plain vanilla FEH. So I had to pay for a lot of c^@p I don't want. But guess what, the car rocks anyway.

Take Care and chill before you pop a gasket!

Steve
Oregon

Last edited by spud; 02-10-2007 at 05:32 PM.
Old 02-11-2007, 04:18 PM

The truth is, you are unlikely to see it. Most likely it will take some engineering work to make it stability control work with the regen system. It will also require extensive testing, after all its a safety feature and if it makes the vehicle less safe because you did it wrong... you'll end up sued

Now Ford has only sold some 23,000 FEHs last count I saw. The question, as far as Ford's accountants will be concerned. Is if I have stability control on the FEH will I sell enough extra vehicles for enough of a markup to make the investment worth it to Ford. And if that extra number of vehicles is only a couple of thousand... you are going to have to divide the development cost over those two thousand vehicles and you will likely find that the cost for stability control on the hybrid (due to the development costs being spread over very few vehicles) will be extremely large, and no one would buy it for that cost.

Unfortunately, if their accountants are doing their job properly, they've already made that assesment and stability control came up on the losing end. You'll see it when Ford determines it will make them extra money, and unfortunately not before.

Sorry about that... if you really feel you have to have it... you are probably best off looking into another vehicle.

Last edited by TeeSter; 02-11-2007 at 04:22 PM.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:27 PM

Ford stated they have a problem combining the hybrid braking system and electronic stability control. This is the reason the hybrid lacks electronic stability. Read it here http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2007/..._hybrid/5.html

Old 03-06-2007, 03:40 PM
Active Enthusiast

Ford stated they have a problem combining the hybrid braking system and electronic stability control. This is the reason the hybrid lacks electronic stability. Read it here http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2007/..._hybrid/5.html
Then they should not be in the car making business then. Their technology is basicaly the same as Toyota's Hybrid technology and Toyota managed Stability control with the braking system. Ford is telling complete BS, they are either just too lazya nd don't care or just complete IDIOTS

Old 03-06-2007, 05:06 PM
Active Enthusiast

Toyota did a great job with it. It's so cautious that it won't even let you get started in the snow! Great safety feature!

Quick Reply: electronic stability control

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands