Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 05:00 PM
Rabid Offroad Enthusiast
Default Re: electronic stability control

Originally Posted by highlanderhybrid
This is real offraod

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...oid=1858601206

That video was not offroad, I could do that in a Prius
I like the "real" offroad video, but I don't think I can get a 6" lift kit to fit my FEH, and I'm sure I can't fit tires that are any bigger than what I have now.

As to doing the offroad stuff Raven showed, in a Prius, unless you have about 6-10 inches of ground clearance, I guarantee the Prius would not even make it up the sand hill under the powerline. My old F150 sometimes would not make it up the first time.

I invite ANYBODY to my property in Mio Michigan to show your stuff. In ANY hybrid. I actually want to see what the others are capable of.

The video Raven uploaded is of my vehicle, and really does not show how well it handles offroad. I have driven through 12" of heavy snow, and was not stopped until I was pushing snow with the front bumper. Then the vehicle acted like it had traction control, the tires spun about 1/2 rotation, and then stopped, no digging down like my Jeep would, in my FEH I simply backed up (in the existing tracks).

When my Jeep gets stuck, it usually takes a little work (shoveling) to get unstuck. Since I've had my FEH (10 months and 28,000 miles), I have only put about 100 miles on the Jeep, mainly to keep the battery charged.

The main point is while the FEH is not a Jeep with a 2 speed transfer case, limited slip ..., but it has substantial offroad capabilities that I simply did not expect. When I'm offroad in my FEH I have a grin from ear to ear, driving in stealthmode (electric only), getting an average of 29mpg (although driving offroad alot does drop the mpg average).

Old 02-07-2007, 09:39 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by highlanderhybrid
And no it's not real 4WD, thats why i didn't spend extra to get it. It's not real on the Escape either. All it is is a little 50KW electric motor on the rear axle that powers the back wheels, it's not a connected drive train tot he ICE so not much power at all back there. .
I'm not sure where you're getting your info from, but if you're talking about the Escape system you are completely wrong here.

The Escape 4WD has a driveshaft to the rear wheels & there is no electric motor on the rear axle as you state.

~John

Old 02-08-2007, 04:46 AM

Thank you Jmorton10 for your reply. I was getting confused with many of the latest replies on the AWD setup. Now the question remains, why isn't stability control available on the 2008 Hybrid model when all other Escape models have them? I am puzzled by this situation and will be needing a vehicle sometime this year to replace my aging Sable wagon with 136,000 miles.

Old 02-08-2007, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Billyk
Now the question remains, why isn't stability control available on the 2008 Hybrid model when all other Escape models have them?
That is a good question. To me, that wouldn't be a deal killer but I do think for what they charge for the FEH that feature should be standard.

~John

Old 02-09-2007, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by jmorton10
That is a good question. To me, that wouldn't be a deal killer but I do think for what they charge for the FEH that feature should be standard.
Standard? It is not even an option.

While, IMHO, Ford might be working on it, if for no other reason to claim 100% of their SUV vehicles have it, I am not so sure Ford has any true interest in investing in the hybrid system used in the FEH/MMH/MTH anymore.

Old 02-09-2007, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by WaltPA
I am not so sure Ford has any true interest in investing in the hybrid system used in the FEH/MMH/MTH anymore.
Unfortunately, that does seem to be true -if anything, Ford is cutting back on the FEH options rather than expanding them...........

~John

Old 02-09-2007, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by jmorton10
Unfortunately, that does seem to be true -if anything, Ford is cutting back on the FEH options rather than expanding them...........
Well, roof cross bars are back, though optional, for '08.

IMHO, the only reason the hybrids are getting a new Nav system for '08, is because the gas-only versions are getting it. If the gas-only version weren't, I am sure we would continue to see the poor Nav system for many more years.

Old 02-09-2007, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by WaltPA
Well, roof cross bars are back, though optional, for '08.

IMHO, the only reason the hybrids are getting a new Nav system for '08, is because the gas-only versions are getting it. If the gas-only version weren't, I am sure we would continue to see the poor Nav system for many more years.
That only makes sense..... they've only sold some 20,000 of these things since they came out. They aren't going to develop options for the hybrid that aren't already planned for the standard escapes... its just not cost effective.

Old 02-09-2007, 06:07 PM

jmorton10 reply that the hybrid Escape has the same awd "drivetrain" as the gas only powered models indicates (to me) an electronic stability control setup on the hybrid would be identical to the gas models. Is Ford holding back on this because this type of setup on the hybrid would "drain" some of the battery and have a negative effect on the gas mileage? Am I correct in saying the hybrid Escape offers the same options as the gas powered models except for electronic stability control and engine/transmission choices?

The Ford Fusion is coming out with a hybrid model later this year and I wonder if electronic stability and AWD will be offered?

Old 02-09-2007, 06:19 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Billyk
jmorton10 reply that the hybrid Escape has the same awd "drivetrain" as the gas only powered models indicates (to me) an electronic stability control setup on the hybrid would be identical to the gas models. Is Ford holding back on this because this type of setup on the hybrid would "drain" some of the battery and have a negative effect on the gas mileage? Am I correct in saying the hybrid Escape offers the same options as the gas powered models except for electronic stability control and engine/transmission choices?

The Ford Fusion is coming out with a hybrid model later this year and I wonder if electronic stability and AWD will be offered?
Battery would have nothing to do with it because the Highlander Hybrid has a bunch of safety features and still gets 33 MPG

Quick Reply: electronic stability control

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands