Aftermarket struts and shocks

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 01:40 PM
Enthusiast
Default Aftermarket struts and shocks

Hi all,

My 2006 AWD FEH has become a bit more bouncy than I can take and I am planning on replacing the (original @ 108K) front struts and rear shocks. Has anyone tried the KYB GR2 (now called Excel-G) or Monroe Sensatrac who could review the ride quality and control, especially when heavily loaded? Has anyone ever tried the Koni strut inserts and shocks? I am especially interested in what people have used in conjunction with higher-rate springs (either lowering of lifting), but any thoughts by people who have used these products would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 11-28-2011, 04:26 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Aftermarket struts and shocks

I used the kyb gr2, ride is a little better,have you seen lowering springs. I'd love to drop it down a little and wouldn mind a softer ride, don't off road and I think the highway mpg would improve

Old 11-28-2011, 08:56 PM
Enthusiast

H&R makes lowering as well as lifting springs. You can find them on Tirerack.com, but you have to search for a V6 Escape, and it says they only fit the V6 model--I don't know what the difference is, I assume they simply were designed for the heavier engine in front.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:45 PM
Active Enthusiast

I'll check it out, thanks.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:47 AM
Enthusiast

If you can wait they sometimes do great deals through online. You search on the net and as a result you get a plenty of site available for this. I would really like to work on suspension after my full exhaust install which will be very soon.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:53 PM
Active Enthusiast

Just replaced struts and shocks with the KYB's @ 173k miles. Real improvement from the worn OEM. No diving in corners or bouncing on RR tracks. I would've preferred Gas-Adjust to the Excel's, but there's not really much available for Escapes. Did the rears at home, the fronts cost $105 for labor.

I can't tell you how they take a full load, has to be more sure footed than before! We plan to do a few camping trips this summer, so we'll know more then on the load and rough road handling.

The ride is stiffer, but more tight than hard. SWMBO did notice the difference and likes the way it drives. That is a good thing.