Anybody "upgraded" the factory shocks? Anyone switch to synthetic oil?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 09:03 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Anybody "upgraded" the factory shocks? Anyone switch to synthetic oil?

For those who are running 40-44psi in their tires....has anyone thought to replace the factory shocks with something that might offer a smoother ride to compensate for the roughness of running higher tire pressures? I feel like when my Mariner was new and had a lower PSI in the tires that the ride was smoother and quieter. Having never bothered to "upgrade" shocks before I wouldn't even know where to begin or what it might cost me.

Anyone switch from dino juice to synthetic oil in their FEH/MMH? I'm wondering if it might help prolong the life of the components as well as offer even a slight improvement in FE. Any thoughts?

Last edited by Tim K; 10-16-2006 at 09:06 AM.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:27 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Anybody "upgraded" the factory shocks? Anyone switch to synthetic oil?

I don't know if it has improved anything with FE but I have been running Mobile-1 full synthetic oil since my first oil change. The synthetic oil does not chage viscosity as much as "dino juice" and will protect moving parts better. Also it is better for sluge/build-up prevention, but you sill need to change the oil just as often as with reguler oil

I have not done anything with the shocks

Old 10-16-2006, 10:34 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Anybody "upgraded" the factory shocks? Anyone switch to synthetic oil?

Remember - the FEH comes with "Motorcraft 5W-20 Premium Synthetic Blend". Which means that it is dino juice mixed with some non-dino hydrocarbons so that they can charge more than regular oil (but not as much as full synthetic). At my first change I used this because the Ford dealer was the most convenient place to find the SAE5W-20. I have since located sources such as AMSOIL that sell full synth by mail order, etc. My personal experiences with Mobil1 confirm that it prolongs engine life ...but probably does not increase FE. [The AMSOIL website addresses this with some technical 'propaganda']