Rear Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 05:34 AM
Enthusiast
Default Rear Shocks

I took a trip to Pendelton, SC (~168miles) Sunday. While I suspected that the rear shocks were not up to expectations this trip proved it.

Anyone changed out the stock rear shocks to a more firmer set?

-R

Old 11-13-2006, 06:03 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Rear Shocks

Originally Posted by rdinatal
I took a trip to Pendelton, SC (~168miles) Sunday. While I suspected that the rear shocks were not up to expectations this trip proved it.

Anyone changed out the stock rear shocks to a more firmer set?

-R
What was the problem you observed?

If you bottomed out, then you'd need firmer shocks but you might want to evaluate what you were carrying because the vehicle is only rated for 1000lbs extra.

If you head squeaking noises you might want to look at the other thread on this forum about the known rear shock problem and the fix for the issue.

Old 11-13-2006, 06:23 AM
Enthusiast

No noise, no bottoming out, just a floating sensation. Just lookiing for what others have expeienced when picking a firmer shock.

-R

Old 11-13-2006, 07:19 AM

I was actually considering a shock change for my Mariner. With the tires at 40psi and driving 4 trips daily across the not-so-smooth streets of Philly...the ride is really bouncy and the rear end feels like it is going to skid off the road especially when turning on a bumpy patch of road. I don't know whether I need softer shocks or firmer....

Old 11-13-2006, 07:20 AM
Active Enthusiast

Not sure what you mean by "a floating sensation" but that's sort of what the suspension is supposed to do... isolate you from the roughness of the road (for comfort) while keeping the wheels in contact with it (for control).

How much cargo were you hauling? What's your tire pressure?

If you didn't bottom out, or feel a sort of slow bouncing (like you're just riding on un-dampened springs - which happens when shocks are worn/blown out), or loss of traction over bumps, I don't know that it's the shocks.

Old 11-13-2006, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Tim K
I was actually considering a shock change for my Mariner. With the tires at 40psi and driving 4 trips daily across the not-so-smooth streets of Philly...the ride is really bouncy and the rear end feels like it is going to skid off the road especially when turning on a bumpy patch of road. I don't know whether I need softer shocks or firmer....
Why not just run with the tires at 35PSI? If you feel the added air pressure is making the car handle wrong, change it....

Old 11-13-2006, 09:42 AM
Enthusiast

How much cargo were you hauling?

Two people and a dog. Before you think about the combined weight, my wife and I are average. The dog is a Dachshund, 10 lbs at most, so the weight is not an issue.

What's your tire pressure?

35psi, cold. I've had it up to 40psi to see the difference. The ride is harsher but the "float" is still there.

I'm used to sport suspension and, although I know this is a SUV, I would like to get as close as possible to a good ride. I had the same experience with my wife's Durango while driving back from the dealer. We both had a sea sick feeling. The shocks were OK as they had less than 100 miles on them but they were badly underrated for the weight and spring rate. I replaced all the shocks with Rancho units and have been happy.

Just wanted to know what others have replaced the rear shocks with and did it help.

-R

Old 11-13-2006, 10:11 AM

Ahhh..... I was going at it as if you saw a problem rather than as you having a preference in handling. As you said its an SUV and to top that off its a compact one that frankly the manufacturers probably tend to make ride a bit mushy for all the soccer mom's and dad's compared to what one would expect from a more sporty suspension.

I haven't tweaked mine in such a way but I'll bet someone will have an answer for you.

But persoally I think the Dachsund is throwing off your center of gravity by making it too low

Originally Posted by rdinatal
How much cargo were you hauling?

Two people and a dog. Before you think about the combined weight, my wife and I are average. The dog is a Dachshund, 10 lbs at most, so the weight is not an issue.

What's your tire pressure?

35psi, cold. I've had it up to 40psi to see the difference. The ride is harsher but the "float" is still there.

I'm used to sport suspension and, although I know this is a SUV, I would like to get as close as possible to a good ride. I had the same experience with my wife's Durango while driving back from the dealer. We both had a sea sick feeling. The shocks were OK as they had less than 100 miles on them but they were badly underrated for the weight and spring rate. I replaced all the shocks with Rancho units and have been happy.

Just wanted to know what others have replaced the rear shocks with and did it help.

-R

Old 11-13-2006, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by TeeSter
Why not just run with the tires at 35PSI? If you feel the added air pressure is making the car handle wrong, change it....
It wasn't much better at 35psi either. The vehicle just seems too bouncey for me and potholes really seem to hit hard. I don't want to feel like I'm driving in a big ole Cadillac and feel nothing though either. I actually enjoyed the ride of my '01 Grand Cherokee even though it had solid front and rear suspensions. I really felt the road and at the same time felt the suspension handled everything the road threw at it. I realize they are very different vehicles but I'd like to get closer to that.

I'd love a shock suggestion.

Old 11-13-2006, 04:15 PM
Enthusiast

I'd like to add .02 to this thread.I've found that same light float at times too,in the rear only, mainly on highway drives.The feeling I get is one similar to the one I experience while towing a trailer with my other vehicles.Almost a rear tounge weight sensation.I suspect it's from the battery and rear component's weight.Maybe it's just crosswind moving the rear around. But it's not anything I'd call a problem.I find the FEH ride quite smooth and stable compared to other small SUVs.My wife's RAV4 is what I'd call bouncey.

Quick Reply: Rear Shocks

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands